• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,732 posts in this topic

Picked these up in the last Comic Connect auction. Didn't expect to win anything with what I thought were low bids.

Avengers45.jpg

Avengers46.jpg

Avengers52.jpg

Avengers65.jpg

You've got to be closing in on completing your run.

This thread was in serious need of a bump.

My first two purchases of 2010. Come hell or high water, my goal in '10 is to finish my Avengers 1-100 run.

The first purchase fills one of the six remaining gaps in my set:

Aven_37_94.jpg

And the second purchase was an absolutely necessary upgrade to my #10. My current copy is a lowly 7.0 PLOD. I purchased it raw from Heritage when I first got back into collecting, and like a newbie, I sent it off for slabbing without actually looking through it. It came back as "page missing, does not affect story". doh! By the time I got it back from CGC, a good 6 months had passed, and Heritage at first wouldn't do a refund. Eventually they changed their minds, but would only refund the hammer price. I would have been stuck with 4 shipping charges (from HA to me, me to CGC, CGC to me, and finally me back to HA) and the slabbing fee, so I decided that it wasn't worth it to return it.

Anyway, a BIG thanks to Jeff / cheetah for this BIG upgrade to my #10! Woo hoo! :whee:

Avengers10_94.jpg

Only five gaps left to fill, and about 4-5 upgrades!

Hi Guys, I am looking to pick up an Avengers 4.

Being offered a CGC 4.5 which is Signature Series and signed by Joe Simon and Stan. Asking price is $660. Seems like seller is asking a bit much.

Do people agree?

Also, do people really think it worth the premium for the autographs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sanj

Being offered a CGC 4.5 which is Signature Series and signed by Joe Simon and Stan. Asking price is $660. Seems like seller is asking a bit much.

Do people agree?

Thanks

Sanj

Need a link (shrug)

Do people agree?

Thanks

Sanj

Regarding the signature, I know the Signature Series niche is real popular right now but I just can't understand it. It may be okay on Moderns but I hate to see

a key SA book with a Fugly signature on it. Of course this is only my personal opinion but I avoid all SS books. I would rather spend the same money on a higher graded book sans the signature.

Do people agree?

Thanks

Sanj

Need a link (shrug)

Sorry, private deal from a collector in TO which is not advertised.

Sanj

If it's any help, here are two recent sales:

Avengers #4 CGC 4.0 SS signed by Lee/Simon: $550 (Dec 2009)

Avengers #4 CGC 5.0 SS signed by Lee/Simon: $680 (Dec 2009)

No idea of PQ... or cover alignment... or clarity/placement of the sigs... or if these books are solid examples of their grade...

But just based on grade alone, then $600-$640 seems like the going rate for a CGC 4.5 SS copy.

If it's any help, here are two recent sales:

Avengers #4 CGC 4.0 SS signed by Lee/Simon: $550 (Dec 2009)

Avengers #4 CGC 5.0 SS signed by Lee/Simon: $680 (Dec 2009)

No idea of PQ... or cover alignment... or clarity/placement of the sigs... or if these books are solid examples of their grade...

But just based on grade alone, then $600-$640 seems like the going rate for a CGC 4.5 SS copy.

Drew, thanks a million. That does help Kind of felt that he was asking a grade up. Even if we can agree on the figure, still torn with buying a higher grade without the autographs for the same price.

Do collectors prefer grade or signatures?

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

Sanj