• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

Check out

Doctor Watson Strange Tales #101-#188 score=8900

Very nice run...

What is a bit sad is that some of the books in that big Mass. Pedigree run were upgraded, so some of the Mass. issues are missing... Unless I'm wrong here confused-smiley-013.gif

Check out

Doctor Watson Strange Tales #101-#188 score=8900

Very nice run...

What is a bit sad is that some of the books in that big Mass. Pedigree run were upgraded, so some of the Mass. issues are missing... Unless I'm wrong here confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess that is a ponderous question for some collectors...except Red.

...Would you rather have a slightly lower ped copy, or a higher non ped copy?

I know some who don't mind and some that do. I personally, once you reach 9.4/9.6/9.8 it can become a muchness. And for instance I've passed on several Doctor Strange #169's in 9.8, simply because I have a 9.6 Western Penn, and the grading between them arguably miniscule. Particularly on the 68 warehouse find books.

And also the number's involved. A book in plentiful supply in grade is only ever going to be distinguished as a pedigree copy.

I guess our ST guy thought better of the Mass copies he had higher graded copies of. Kinda sad in a way. Possibly if the registry offered more points for peds....as they were discussing, this could change.

If you're gonna tantalize us with tales like those, you'll have to give us some

background on where and how you found them;-)

Awesome set.

Hey Rosland, I don't have an exciting story about how I got them. I actually picked them up from Comic Link's site recently. You can also see in the group shot the slabbed books. #75 with Taboo came from that same shipment and is an 8.0, highest graded copy and I also had #147 CGC 9.4 and #116 9.0 Big Apple Copy in the same shipment. Still waiting on 11 more coming from Pedigree and Metropolis.

If you're gonna tantalize us with tales like those, you'll have to give us some

background on where and how you found them;-)

Awesome set.

Hey Rosland, I don't have an exciting story about how I got them. I actually picked them up from Comic Link's site recently. You can also see in the group shot the slabbed books. #75 with Taboo came from that same shipment and is an 8.0, highest graded copy and I also had #147 CGC 9.4 and #116 9.0 Big Apple Copy in the same shipment. Still waiting on 11 more coming from Pedigree and Metropolis.

Were some of these raw books without scan on CLINK ? I'm curious to know if you were pleased with the grade 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Were some of these raw books without scan on CLINK ? I'm curious to know if you were pleased with the grade 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Frederic!! You know what.. I was skeptical when I ordered them raw. ( They are actually all raw ). When I received them I have to admit I was very pleased with the grading on all of them. They were advertised as 7.0-7.5 and I would be very confident in those grades after I submit them. What was a great surprise was how firm the books are and the richness of the cover inks. They have a lot of gloss. Now with that information. Please don't buy all the other ones available 27_laughing.gif

These were my favorites. Very cool books Paul thumbsup2.gif Were any of these ever reprinted? Would make a great Essentials.

Thanks a lot Rich!! It's always nice when someone with a ST collection such as your's pays a compliment. I don't know if they were ever reprinted. I've been trying to research that because I don't want to handle them. To be honest I haven't even read them as I don't want to take a chance. They're going to CGC in a few days along with the Boston copies I just received.

I can't post the pics yet .. cause I'm too lazy at the moment. I just picked up :

Strange Tales #89 - CGC 7.0

Strange Tales #93 - CGC 8.0

& Strange Tales Annual #1 - CGC 7.5

pic's up this weekend!!

All from Rhino!! Steve is a heck of a good guy to deal with!!!

Great pick up Paul ! thumbsup2.gif

Can't wait to see those!