• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

Where do you keep getting these from? Once again hats off to you Korvac hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Thanks brasseye!! I'm like a comic collecting black hole: when a book gets too close to me its history 893whatthe.gif My collossal comic lust combined with my reckless spending create such an enormous pull that even light itself cannot escape!!!!!! devil.gifyay.gifacclaim.gifthumbsup2.gif That and I logged onto www.pedigreecomics.com and made some offers yeahok.gif27_laughing.gifstooges.gifpoke2.gif

Where do you keep getting these from? Once again hats off to you Korvac hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Thanks brasseye!! I'm like a comic collecting black hole: when a book gets too close to me its history 893whatthe.gif My collossal comic lust combined with my reckless spending create such an enormous pull that even light itself cannot escape!!!!!! devil.gifyay.gifacclaim.gifthumbsup2.gif That and I logged onto www.pedigreecomics.com and made some offers yeahok.gif27_laughing.gifstooges.gifpoke2.gif

27_laughing.gif Great books Rich!

BTW have you people seen the raw Mass. Fantastic Four on Collectors Assemble ? Great stuff ! It seems that Marnin is ready to sell some of his Mass. copies.

Will we see some Pre-Nick Fury Mass. Strange Tales this year ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

BTW have you people seen the raw Mass. Fantastic Four on Collectors Assemble ? Great stuff ! It seems that Marnin is ready to sell some of his Mass. copies.

Will we see some Pre-Nick Fury Mass. Strange Tales this year ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks Frederic!! Yeah, I saw Marnin's books. Beautiful, but prices were screwy.gif

Does he have some Mass ST's or is that just wishful thinking? wink.gif

I went a little crazy at Metropolis last week and picked up five new ST books. The first two fill holes and the last three are upgrades from raw VFs. Four of them are pedigrees. headbang.gif

CGC 9.2 Mass Copy

ST131.jpg

Edited by Monkeyman

Thanks Frederic!! Yeah, I saw Marnin's books. Beautiful, but prices were screwy.gif

Does he have some Mass ST's or is that just wishful thinking? wink.gif

Two of the books I just posted are Mass copies so I would assume Marnin has already sold at least the latter books in the run.

Mike

Monkeyman,

You've picked some of the better covers there. Just coincidence, or were you

specifically after those? Don't see you in the registry for Strange Tales, will you enter

them?

Monkeyman,

You've picked some of the better covers there. Just coincidence, or were you

specifically after those? Don't see you in the registry for Strange Tales, will you enter

them?

My 135-168 run is about 2/3s raw, many of the copies being high enough grade that they don't need a CGC upgrade. I don't have any reason to slab them so a registry set would be impossible to complete as I don't expect to ever have more than 50% in CGC holders. I only have 12 books between 101 and 134 as I've never focused in that area.

Mike

You've picked some of the better covers there. Just coincidence, or were you specifically after those?

Just coincidence - filling holes and upgrading. It's always nice to grab pedigree books. I'd rather have a 9.2 pedigree than a regular 9.4.

Now I need 136 and 166 in NM- or better to finish the 135-168. Finally I'll upgrade 146, 157 and 158 to have the whole run in NM- or better (although my 135 is borderline, sort of a 9.1). That will represent eight years of collecting if I can finish it this year.

Mike

Monkeyman,

I have a spare 9.2 #135 and a 9.4 #158. You can ping me if interested.

Do you intend to branch out into 101-135? I started with the 135+ range, and fell victim

to the 101-134 run too. Looks like Korvac Saga is in reverse mode;-)

It's really hard to stop halfway...

You've picked some of the better covers there. Just coincidence, or were you specifically after those?

Just coincidence - filling holes and upgrading. It's always nice to grab pedigree books. I'd rather have a 9.2 pedigree than a regular 9.4.

Now I need 136 and 166 in NM- or better to finish the 135-168. Finally I'll upgrade 146, 157 and 158 to have the whole run in NM- or better (although my 135 is borderline, sort of a 9.1). That will represent eight years of collecting if I can finish it this year.

Mike

Great addition Mike ! Hope you'll be able to finish your run this year 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

When you do finish it, post a group shot laugh.gif It's always nice to see those, especially since you have a lot of high grade raw books (that we obviously can't "see" in the Registry)

Frederic

Monkeyman,

I have a spare 9.2 #135 and a 9.4 #158. You can ping me if interested.

Do you intend to branch out into 101-135? I started with the 135+ range, and fell victim

to the 101-134 run too. Looks like Korvac Saga is in reverse mode;-)

It's really hard to stop halfway...

I'm slowly working on the entire run of ST starting at #1. At the rate I'm going it will take about 25 years to complete. I'll start focusing on 101-134 next and just pick up VF or better pre-hero books as they come along, which isn't often!

PM sent concerning 135 and 158.

Mike

I have "some" of the Strange Tales # 81, 87, 115, 126, 127, 130, 131, 133, 134, 135, 139, 141, 144, 146, 152, 154, 155, 158, 159, 161, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 175, 184

Here are a few scans of the books. Just started going thru my collection after sitting in boxes for the last 25yrs. doh! If you'd like to see more, let me know which issues and I"ll scan them for you guys.

StrangeTales126Front.jpg

StrangeTales133Front.jpg

StrangeTales141Front.jpg

StrangeTales146Front.jpg

StrangeTales159Front.jpg

StrangeTales170Front.jpg

StrangeTales175Front.jpg

Edited by GarryM

Going back to the topic of how the monster era started, there is a very interesting

4 page introduction by Dr. Michael J. Vassallo at the beginning of the new Tales of

Suspense Masterworks collection.

From the solicitation of Tales of Suspense Masterworks:

In 1958, Atlas Comics Editor-in-Chief Stan Lee was joined by two titanic talents: Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. Together this trio of storytellers launched Tales of Suspense and its sister title, Tales to Astonish, and along with them the beginnings of a creative revival that would change comics forever.

Kinda wish I knew more about this era, but it looks like Atlas imploded in 1957, and

the combo of Stan, Jack, and Steve clicked the year after.

Hi fellas,

I recently discovered this board and have been enjoying these scans of all the hi-grade Strange Tales (does anybody have the one with Ben and Johnny with the Beatles wigs?)

Anyway, I recently read the following on Blake Bells weblog that sheds some light on what happened at Atlas/Marvel in 57/58:

http://www.bestofmostof.com/07may/index070518.htm

Going back to the topic of how the monster era started, there is a very interesting

4 page introduction by Dr. Michael J. Vassallo at the beginning of the new Tales of

Suspense Masterworks collection.

From the solicitation of Tales of Suspense Masterworks:

In 1958, Atlas Comics Editor-in-Chief Stan Lee was joined by two titanic talents: Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. Together this trio of storytellers launched Tales of Suspense and its sister title, Tales to Astonish, and along with them the beginnings of a creative revival that would change comics forever.

Kinda wish I knew more about this era, but it looks like Atlas imploded in 1957, and

the combo of Stan, Jack, and Steve clicked the year after.

Hi fellas,

I recently discovered this board and have been enjoying these scans of all the hi-grade Strange Tales (does anybody have the one with Ben and Johnny with the Beatles wigs?)

Anyway, I recently read the following on Blake Bells weblog that sheds some light on what happened at Atlas/Marvel in 57/58:

http://www.bestofmostof.com/07may/index070518.htm

Thanks for the link ! thumbsup2.gif and welcome to the Board !

As for ST 130 there's a scan on page 47, but if you are looking for uber-grade go look at the first page of this thread, there might be one.

Finally, my new ST addition 893applaud-thumb.gif (I decided to settle for an 8.0 copy after biting the dust when I tried to upgrade my ST 103 to an 8.5 copy sorry.gif)

strangetales-102cgc.jpg