• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

I have some contributions for this thread, but first a bit of a story. I collected marvels as a kid in the 70's, the then current issues and silver age. Of course I sold them all in 1980 when I was 16. As I'm sure you all know they never really get out of your blood and I would periodically pick up an old book at the LCS in the 80's. I also helped my younger brother, Tom, organize the comics he was buying new at the time. Skip ahead to 1990 and my brother Tom was paralyzed in a car accident while serving in the Army in Berlin (he was there when the wall came down.) At some point after my brother returned home, stabilized and settled into life in a wheelchair we got around to talking about comics. He had a little money to burn and we decided to put together a nice collection of silver age Marvels. He bankrolled the books, I served as his trusted hands and I already knew a lot about the titles and important issues and such. It was a fun time and a great experience for us. As part of this we nabbed some nice Strange Tales. Tom was excited by these as they were kind of exotic, he'd never seen most of them before. As it turns out we have a few apparent Bethlehem copies in our collection so I thought I'd scan those and share them here.

A very sharp Bethlehem Strange Tales 102:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd34/rtarturo/Strangetales102043.jpg[/img]]Strange Tales 102

A NM Bethlehem Strange Tales 105:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd34/rtarturo/Strangetales105042.jpg[/img]]Strange Tales 105

A VF++ Bethlehem Strange Tales 111:

Strangetales111044.jpg

There's a couple more that I'll add tomorrow night.

Hope you enjoy them, we sure do.

The scans seem to make them appear a touch dirty, they are very bright and clean with white pages peaking out.

Very nice books! :golfclap: Where did you pick them up at?

I had been thinking that 2007 wasn't a very good year for advancing my Strange Tales collection. Tonight I decided to actually check this out. I am a big Dr. Strange fan and collecting Strange Tales 110-168 lead me, at some point, to stupidly decide to put the entire run together. Just focusing on the Silver Age issues I counted what was added to my collection in 2007 and realized that it may have been my best year ever. I figure a little boasting never hurt anyone so I am going to share.

Up until a few weeks ago I only owned one issue between 101 and 109, but our own Frederic made me a nice deal on all the following:

#102 - 8.0

ST102.jpg

#103 - 8.0 (Mass copy)

ST103.jpg

#104 - 8.5

ST104.jpg

#107 - 8.5

ST107.jpg

#109 - 8.5

ST109.jpg

Now we move on to the Dr. Strange issue. :cloud9: I usually prefer raw over CGC, but this year it seemed like nothing but slabs were coming my way.

Here are the rest of the books that Fred sold me (I think these all came from him, but I be wrong on one or two of them):

#113 - 8.5 (ok, not a Dr. Strange issue)

ST113.jpg

#120 - 8.5

ST120.jpg

#123 - 9.0

ST123.jpg

#125 - 9.0

ST125.jpg

#126 - 8.5

ST126.jpg

#134 - 9.0 Bethlehem

ST134.jpg

Two books from Blazing Bob:

#157 - NM

ST157.jpg

#166 - 9.2 A surprisingly hard book to find in grade. I bought this one in June and it finished my 135-168 run. I now just need upgrades to 136 and 146 to have all these books in NM- or better. acclaim.gif

ST166.jpg

here's a few older Strange Tales books!!! I might have posted one or two in a different thread!!!! Some I no longer have!!!! These are all Pre-Hero. maybe later in the week I'll post some hero ST (not as nice as Monkeyman's though)

Strangetales72-1.jpg

StrangeTales77.jpg

Strangetales79sold.jpg

StrangeTales80sold.jpg

StrangeTales83sold.jpg

StrangeTales98sold.jpg