• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

I love this series :cloud9:

Last month I completed one of the three series I'm currently putting together, so under my own rules I'm allowed to start collecting another series and I've decided to go for Strange Tales from #101 to #168.

I made a nice dent already this month, getting some books from a board member and stumbling on an OO collection in Holland of all places.

The real exciting part is that I never owned a single Strange Tales book, or even read one before this month.

Last month I completed one of the three series I'm currently putting together, so under my own rules I'm allowed to start collecting another series and I've decided to go for Strange Tales from #101 to #168.

I made a nice dent already this month, getting some books from a board member and stumbling on an OO collection in Holland of all places.

The real exciting part is that I never owned a single Strange Tales book, or even read one before this month.

What did you find in Holland?

Mike

Mike

A dealer who specializes in TPBs bought a collection from a collector back in the late 80's.

Almost all SA, both Marvel and DC. Most of the stuff he sold years ago, all the A-series, all the keys etc... gone. But he had a maybe a 1000 books left which he hadn't looked at for years...including an almost full run of Strange Tales from #109 upwards.

He didn't want to scan them, took me some convincing to even get him to send me the issue #s + his assigned grade, but in the end he did. Everything was low to midgrade and I took into account that his grading would probably be 20 years off.

I figured right as most books are up to a full grade off, but I regraded them and did the sums and still paid less than 40% guide for the run.

11 of the books have a drawing on the cover. Looks like a little boy drew a crown on most of his books to show they were his..."The Crown Pedigree." lol

I asked the dealer about this and he told me he remembered that a lot of the other books had a little crown drawn on the cover as well.

The entire run was an OO collection which he just got tired of selling,and which I stumbled on.

He also has a near complete run of post-Antman Tales to Astonish which I might pick up as well, once I finish my TOS or Jim run.

Mike

A dealer who specializes in TPBs bought a collection from a collector back in the late 80's.

Almost all SA, both Marvel and DC. Most of the stuff he sold years ago, all the A-series, all the keys etc... gone. But he had a maybe a 1000 books left which he hadn't looked at for years...including an almost full run of Strange Tales from #109 upwards.

He didn't want to scan them, took me some convincing to even get him to send me the issue #s + his assigned grade, but in the end he did. Everything was low to midgrade and I took into account that his grading would probably be 20 years off.

I figured right as most books are up to a full grade off, but I regraded them and did the sums and still paid less than 40% guide for the run.

11 of the books have a drawing on the cover. Looks like a little boy drew a crown on most of his books to show they were his..."The Crown Pedigree." lol

I asked the dealer about this and he told me he remembered that a lot of the other books had a little crown drawn on the cover as well.

The entire run was an OO collection which he just got tired of selling,and which I stumbled on.

He also has a near complete run of post-Antman Tales to Astonish which I might pick up as well, once I finish my TOS or Jim run.

My wife is Dutch and we visit every 3 years or so. This year it is time for another trip and we will be there in the first two weeks of July. Last time it was 40 degrees part of the time. Fortunately the humidity wasn't too bad and it cooled down a lot at night. For all I know it will be cold and rainy this time. It is always a shoot. :wishluck:

Mike

Awesome pre-135 ST results in the Comic Link auction:

73 CGC 8.5 - $1,660 :o

76 CGC 9.0 - $1,877 :o

107 CGC 8.5 - $981

108 CGC 9.2 - $1,555

117 CGC 9.4 - $1,166

124 CGC 9.4 - $1,000

132 CGC 9.4 - $1,100

133 CGC 9.4 - $1,050

I would say that most of these books have doubled in price in the last year.

Mike

109 CGC 9.4 just sold on CLink for $1,889. Another big sale. :o

There were some deals too. 132 in CGC 9.2 sold for $171 :o:o after a 9.4 went for $1,100 in the last auction. I got lucky and picked up a 133 in CGC 9.4 W for $500, 50% of what a similar book sold for in the last auction. :banana:

I also got a 119 in CGC 9.0. Nine books to go to finish my 101-168. :cloud9:

Mike

I'm currently collecting the Ditko Dr. Strange 110-146...I assume the 101 to 168 is when Kirby left? (shrug)

I'm also going for 101 - 168... which are basically the Superhero books, for #169 the "Strange Tales"name was dropped and the mag was renamed "Doctor Strange"

My wife is Dutch and we visit every 3 years or so. This year it is time for another trip and we will be there in the first two weeks of July. Last time it was 40 degrees part of the time. Fortunately the humidity wasn't too bad and it cooled down a lot at night. For all I know it will be cold and rainy this time. It is always a shoot. :wishluck:

Mike

I live about 45 minutes from the Dutch border, but then again I live 25 minutes from the French border and 2 hours from the German border... it's a small country :grin:

Funny timing as during the time you guys will be over here, I'll be in the US.

I remember that Summer where temp shot up to 40°C ... but that was a freak, it hardly ever goes over 25°C in Summer... not a lot of people have AC in the homes or in their cars over here, so when that heatwave struck is was a disaster for a lot of the elderly.

... The real exciting part is that I never owned a single Strange Tales book, or even read one before this month.

Take your time and don't rush the Doctor Strange. It's some of Ditko's absolute best.

Anyone pay attention to what the ST 135 in 9.4 went for at the

Comic Connect auction?

$4600 (thumbs u

:o

:insane:

The GPA record price I paid in '08 has now been tripled.

It's funny how a few years can make a "I can't believe I paid that" into

"boy, I was a genius";-)

I was nervous when I got my #135 for the princely sum of $1250.

"boy, I was a genius";-)

About what I paid for my copy too + I thought it was alot at the time. And that's great because I'm not saying that this is the last book I'd pay 5K for, but its close.

"boy, I was a genius";-)

About what I paid for my copy too + I thought it was alot at the time. And that's great because I'm not saying that this is the last book I'd pay 5K for, but its close.

Hey guys, still making my transition from strictly GA collector to GA & SA collector. Speaking of ST 135, how desirable of a book is this? I noticed the comicconnect price when it ended and had to do a double take. Is it typically a guide book? Over guide book?

I ask because I just picked up 2 copies, probably in the 8.0-9.0 :wishluck: range, raw.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by hockey&comicsguy

"boy, I was a genius";-)

Hey guys, still making my transition from strictly GA collector to GA & SA collector. Speaking of ST 135, how desirable of a book is this? I noticed the comicconnect price when it ended and had to do a double take. Is it typically a guide book? Over guide book?

I ask because I just picked up 2 copies, probably in the 8.0-9.0 :wishluck: range, raw.

Thanks,

Mike

Other than the first Colonel Fury (not even a first appearance of the character) I'm not sure why people want it so much. I guess that it is a natural break in the run with the shift from the Human Torch to SHIELD. Some people collect just the 135 to 168 and the Steranko art makes this a desirable run. For whatever reason, the book has skyrocketed in the last year or so.

Mike

Other than the first Colonel Fury (not even a first appearance of the character) I'm not sure why people want it so much. I guess that it is a natural break in the run with the shift from the Human Torch to SHIELD. Some people collect just the 135 to 168 and the Steranko art makes this a desirable run. For whatever reason, the book has skyrocketed in the last year or so.

Mike

(thumbs u Thanks for the info Mike.

ps: what is the first appearance of Fury?

Edited by hockey&comicsguy