• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

I'm going to guess that it is Sgt. Fury #1, but you would have to check the OSPG to be sure.

Mike

(thumbs u Sgt fury 1 was the first appearance of Nick Fury .

Other than the first Colonel Fury (not even a first appearance of the character) I'm not sure why people want it so much. I guess that it is a natural break in the run with the shift from the Human Torch to SHIELD. Some people collect just the 135 to 168 and the Steranko art makes this a desirable run. For whatever reason, the book has skyrocketed in the last year or so.

Mike

(thumbs u Thanks for the info Mike.

ps: what is the first appearance of Fury?

Iron-Man movie #1... lol

First "modern" age Fury appeared in FF #21, no?.

You would be correct. If I am not mistaken it mentions him working for a secret Govt Organization as well. I would need to pull out my copy and look.

OK I just checked FF 21 is the first appearance of Colonel Fury. On page 9 He mentions he is now Col. Fury and a secret agent. It does not mention SHIELD. So Strange Tales is actually the 1st appearance of Shield and FF 21 is the "1st" appearance of Col. Fury. secret agent. Overstreet is off a bit in my opinion and I have no vested interest as I own them both.

Edited by BrianR

1st app. of Nick Fury is in Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #1 from the early 60's.

sgtfury1may1963.gif

1st app. of Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D is in Strange Tales #135 from 1965

140887-18066-111069-1-strange-tales_super.jpg

Gets his own series

NickFury1.jpg

Edited by AGGIEZ

1st app. of Nick Fury is in Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #1 from the early 60's.

(thumbs u

FF 21 is more important than ST 135. ST 135 is just a follow up. CIA SHIELD whats the difference same character, same job, same rank............. :baiting:

FF21 is more important than any Nick Fury book. :devil:

FF 21 was definitely not just a half baked idea. It followed closely behind SFURY 3 where Reed met Fury as an operative of the OSS ,another intelligence organization.Stan was definitely going somewhere with it.I think SHIELD morphed out of Bond's SPECTRE and the Man from UNCLE ,which were both extremely popular at the time.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

In FF #21, Reed mentions that Fury works for the CIA (page 9)

You think Fury might have been involved with the Bay of Pigs or the hit on JFK?

You DON'T want to know that....they would have to kill you :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

(thumbs u

FF 21 is more important than ST 135. ST 135 is just a follow up. CIA SHIELD whats the difference same character, same job, same rank............. :baiting:

The difference is that the ST #135 is recognized as the first appearance of Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD. FF #21 is just noted as a Sgt. Fury crossover. (shrug)