• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

Hi Strange Tales people - I am not a regular poster to Silver or this thread in particular so I'm uncertain about where it may be appropriate to ask my question, but I decided to try here since the book my question is about is an issue or ST.

Some things have come up in my life that has me looking to part ways with some of my graded books. I have a copy or 158 that I've held on to for a good while, but I'm having trouble determining a price point. I know the general answer is "send it to auction" but I thought I may as well ask a few experts their opinion before going that tried and true route due to the fact that time is pressing.

158 - 9.4 WP, GPA data is scant with 3 sales in this grade in the last year, a 9.2 sold last for $2203. There was some very high eBay listings that I don't take too seriously, but going by census this is a tough book in grade so I'm not sure where that leaves me. Any thoughts or opinions welcome, and if this type of discussion is discouraged here my apologies - just let me know and I'll remove the post.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, SquareChaos said:

158 - 9.4 WP, GPA data is scant with 3 sales in this grade in the last year, a 9.2 sold last for $2203. There was some very high eBay listings that I don't take too seriously, but going by census this is a tough book in grade so I'm not sure where that leaves me. Any thoughts or opinions welcome, and if this type of discussion is discouraged here my apologies - just let me know and I'll remove the post.

In looking over recorded sales data, I'm seeing this issue going for roughly $3K in 9.6 and $2K in 9.4, with the usual considerable variation from sale to sale.  If you had some time to realize the best possible price, I'd suggest considering consigning the book to a major dealer with a great track record of high priced sales like Highgradecomics for a fixed price sale.  But if you're certain to need the proceeds quickly, an auction would guarantee to do that for you.

It's a book I had the good fortune to own several copies of over the years of SA collecting:

image.thumb.png.3e7f04547ebb7628b78ec3240c00f821.png  ST158sale.thumb.jpg.67c92f5f20eb8b999758b64f408eaf0d.jpg  ST158cgc.jpg.08b6a8eeedf4f30d814619e6a8f607b5.jpg

On 11/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, KirbyJack said:

I like the barrels.

Classic villain stuff; hanging out in an old warehouse down in the Paste District.

the story meant for #135 where pete teams up with glue-gun greg got scrapped when they switched to shield.   one of your barrels foreshadowed the classic encounter.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:03 AM, Straw-Man said:

the story meant for #135 where pete teams up with glue-gun greg got scrapped when they switched to shield.   one of your barrels foreshadowed the classic encounter.

Oh, that's right! "The Terror of The Tacky Twosome!"

I always loved Pete for his extraordinary arrogance.  "With this bucket of paste and my trusty paste shooter, I'm going to rule the world!"

I believe Stan eventually woke up to the ridiculousness of the character, and so rebranded him as The Trapster to sound a little less lame.

Edited by namisgr

On 11/19/2021 at 11:15 AM, namisgr said:

I always loved Pete for his extraordinary arrogance.  "With this bucket of paste and my trusty paste shooter, I'm going to rule the world!"

I believe Stan eventually woke up to the ridiculousness of the character, and so rebranded him as The Trapster to sound a little less lame.

I’m reasonably certain that the character’s name was an inside joke. Atlas ran Kurtzman’s Pot Shot Pete pages - not so long before our pasty Pete came along. I’ll guess Stan changed the name because Pete was a member of the Frightful Four, and needed to be taken seriously.