• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

Also got a back-up copy of an under-collected favorite, Strange Tales annual #2. It's a great comic, and only Spidey's FOURTH appearance! This book should be way more popular, IMO.

ff6sta2002.jpg[/img]

Just to be picky :baiting: but one often hears that STA #2 is the fourth appearance but I don't see the evidence for such. It's an early Spider-Man but not the fourth.

Calendar Month Release Dates

Amazing Fantasy #15 June 5, 1962

Amazing Spider-Man #1 December 10, 1962

Amazing Spider-Man #2 February 12th, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #3 April 9th, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #4 June 11th, 1963

Strange Tales Annual #2 June 11th, 1963

Source: Marvel Comics Group 1961-70

There is no month listed in the indicia of the book. Sgt. Fury #2 (a May release) is advertised inside the book. It's probably this ad that leads to an earlier release claim. However, the annual, itself, is advertised in Amazing Spider-Man #4 (ad) and #5 (special announcements section). Source: Spider Fan Comics Blog

A June release date seems difficult to refute as copies with date stamps usually read June 11. I think I've seen one dated June 10 but I assume that's just an "unchanged" dealer date stamp.

This would make Strange Tales Annual #2 the 6th appearance of Spider-Man, if one gives precedence to his own magazine when given the same release date.

CGC labels I've seen mark it as an early Spider-Man appearance or first Spider-Man crossover. Source: Heritage Archives.

Good analysis and most likely correct. (thumbs u

Just out of curiousity, where does the Spider-Man appearance in FF annual #1 rank?

Here are the first eleven appearances.

Title • Cover Month • Newsstand Date

Amazing Fantasy #15 • August • June 5, 1962

Amazing Spider-Man #1 • March • December 10, 1962

Amazing Spider-Man #2 • May • February 12, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #3 • July • April 9, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #4 • September • June 11, 1963

Strange Tales Annual #2 • 1963 • June 11, 1963

Fantastic Four Annual #1 • 1963 • July 2, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #5 • October • July 9, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #6 • November • August 8, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #7 • December • September 10, 1963

Strange Tales #115 • December • September 10, 1963

Just finished out the hero set for Strange Tales #101 thru 188! Love finishing sets!

Strange Tales #104 First Trapster/Paste Pot Pete. I heard he will have a cameo in all upcoming Marvel movies! lol Thanks go out to Jimjum for finding this one for me!

2012-07-25163116.jpg[/img]

Also got a back-up copy of an under-collected favorite, Strange Tales annual #2. It's a great comic, and only Spidey's FOURTH appearance! This book should be way more popular, IMO.

ff6sta2002.jpg[/img]

She's a rough copy, but presents okay.

I want to buy the Mass copy [CGC 9.2] of this issue but I think its listed for a crazy asking price of $14k or something like that. :facepalm:

Just got this one from Ebay. The last Marvel annual I needed for all the Marvel Annuals from July 1962 (The first Marvel Silver age annuals) to 12/1979. :headbang:

Strange Tales Annual #2 CGC 6.0 White pages. :cloud9:

2012-07-28185532.jpg[/img]

very cool book <3

:takeit::devil:

Bought this raw at a local show from Harley about 20 years ago; he called it a VF- (pre CGC days) I read the book for the first time about a week before Comic-Con and discovered that Jack Kirby's signature was on page 10 in the bottom margin. Anyway, the book came back yesterday from CGC and what a nice surprise! StrangeTales114.jpg