• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

That's a nice #135, rube!!

Hey, anyone have a cgc 7.0 copy of #110 for sale (and a #101 for that matter?) - PM me!

I have a cgc 6.0 copy of #101, but would rather a 7.0 of both.

Thanks

There are still a bunch of pedigree copies that have never gone under the squeeze, including this 5-pack.

I remember when former board member Sfilosa owned the entire Massachusetts run of Strange Tales from 135-168. :cloud9:

ST163Mass.jpg

ST164Mass.jpg

ST165Mass.jpg

Yes, Tom, I've got 11 of the Mass ST issues. While it's too bad the run was broken up years ago, it did bring a bunch of the issues to market over the next few years for collectors to snatch.

Nice 6.5!

Ditko's Dr. Strange was one of the major reasons that Marvel comics caught on with the college crowd in the sixties. Some of the very best work of the Silver Age!

Very cool!!! I'm a little younger than that generation (born '78) so I like hearing about the history of the hobby!! I would like to replace the ST110 cgc 6.5 with a cgc 7.0, if anyone knows where one is!

Thanks.

ST126.jpg

ST144.jpg

wdb23 did some very fine work a few years back with fantasy Doctor Strange covers. Given the high quality of Ditko's work, it does make you wonder what might have been achieved had Ditko received the marketing, renumeration and recognition he wanted.

For more (thumbs u : The Doctor Strange Custom Covers Project

......Ditko was certainly commited to that title. You could see that he was 100% into the book until the end.GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Also got a back-up copy of an under-collected favorite, Strange Tales annual #2. It's a great comic, and only Spidey's FOURTH appearance! This book should be way more popular, IMO.

ff6sta2002.jpg[/img]

She's a rough copy, but presents okay.

ST126.jpg

ST144.jpg

wdb23 did some very fine work a few years back with fantasy Doctor Strange covers. Given the high quality of Ditko's work, it does make you wonder what might have been achieved had Ditko received the marketing, renumeration and recognition he wanted.

For more (thumbs u : The Doctor Strange Custom Covers Project

Great idea and terrific execution (worship)

This is the coolest thing I have seen from a long long time (thumbs u

Also got a back-up copy of an under-collected favorite, Strange Tales annual #2. It's a great comic, and only Spidey's FOURTH appearance! This book should be way more popular, IMO.

ff6sta2002.jpg[/img]

Just to be picky :baiting: but one often hears that STA #2 is the fourth appearance but I don't see the evidence for such. It's an early Spider-Man but not the fourth.

Calendar Month Release Dates

Amazing Fantasy #15 June 5, 1962

Amazing Spider-Man #1 December 10, 1962

Amazing Spider-Man #2 February 12th, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #3 April 9th, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #4 June 11th, 1963

Strange Tales Annual #2 June 11th, 1963

Source: Marvel Comics Group 1961-70

There is no month listed in the indicia of the book. Sgt. Fury #2 (a May release) is advertised inside the book. It's probably this ad that leads to an earlier release claim. However, the annual, itself, is advertised in Amazing Spider-Man #4 (ad) and #5 (special announcements section). Source: Spider Fan Comics Blog

A June release date seems difficult to refute as copies with date stamps usually read June 11. I think I've seen one dated June 10 but I assume that's just an "unchanged" dealer date stamp.

This would make Strange Tales Annual #2 the 6th appearance of Spider-Man, if one gives precedence to his own magazine when given the same release date.

CGC labels I've seen mark it as an early Spider-Man appearance or first Spider-Man crossover. Source: Heritage Archives.

ff6sta2002.jpg[/img]

Just to be picky :baiting: but one often hears that STA #2 is the fourth appearance but I don't see the evidence for such. It's an early Spider-Man but not the fourth.

Calendar Month Release Dates

Amazing Fantasy #15 June 5, 1962

Amazing Spider-Man #1 December 10, 1962

Amazing Spider-Man #2 February 12th, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #3 April 9th, 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #4 June 11th, 1963

Strange Tales Annual #2 June 11th, 1963

Source: Marvel Comics Group 1961-70

There is no month listed in the indicia of the book. Sgt. Fury #2 (a May release) is advertised inside the book. It's probably this ad that leads to an earlier release claim. However, the annual, itself, is advertised in Amazing Spider-Man #4 (ad) and #5 (special announcements section). Source: Spider Fan Comics Blog

A June release date seems difficult to refute as copies with date stamps usually read June 11. I think I've seen one dated June 10 but I assume that's just an "unchanged" dealer date stamp.

This would make Strange Tales Annual #2 the 6th appearance of Spider-Man, if one gives precedence to his own magazine when given the same release date.

CGC labels I've seen mark it as an early Spider-Man appearance or first Spider-Man crossover. Source: Heritage Archives.

Great info! Here is someone who just not follow...But looks into things that have been said for years...And comes up with what might be the real info! :applause:(worship)