• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

You know you have a problem when you find this in a shipping box while cleaning and you didn't even remember owning it.

IMAG0518c.jpg

It's like finding a $20 bill in a jacket pocket leftover from last year, except much much better.

Not quite a $20 bill... but finding money none the less.

I have had this boon on my want list for a while now. There's a handful of these Strange Tales issues, numbered in the 60's and 70's, that I have had my eye on.

ST_68F_zpssgcecdem.jpg

A very nice book from a hard to appreciate transition period -- not easy to find books as you noted.

I have always found Christopher Rule to be a very clean inker for Kirby. In 1959, Rule would have been 65 years-old compared to Kirby's 42.

A very nice book from a hard to appreciate transition period -- not easy to find books as you noted.

I have always found Christopher Rule to be a very clean inker for Kirby. In 1959, Rule would have been 65 years-old compared to Kirby's 42.

Thanks.

In 1958 and 1959 it's quite tough to locate even a nice mid grade books in this transitional period between Atlas and Marvel. I wonder if the print runs were small, which also might compound the difficulty of finding these books. Which brings me to my question. Was it Marvel or Zenith Publishing Corporation (mentioned inside the book), or still Atlas in kind of a ghost form running on stockpiles of unused art, that was publishing these books between late 57 and early 61?

Found this on the Wikia page where there is a discussion on the transition period (October 57 to April 61) from Atlas to Marvel. While the below is informative, it still does not fully answer my question.

[font:Comic Sans MS]"Although for several months in 1949 and 1950 Timely's titles bore a circular logo labeled "Marvel Comic", the first modern comic book so labeled was the science-fiction anthology Amazing Adventures #3, which showed the "MC" box on its cover. Cover-dated August 1961, it was published May 9, 1961. However, collectors routinely refer to the companies' comics from the April 1959 cover-dates onward (when they began featuring Jack Kirby artwork on his return to Goodman's company), as pre-superhero Marvel." [/font]

In The Comic Book Marketplace #61 (July 1998) Lee recalls that he wanted to formally use the name, Atlas, in 1961 for the reinvented company. He was overruled by Goodman who had always loved the name, Marvel.

I cannot recall the source but I have also read that artists routinely called Goodman's comic book company, Timely, right up to the late 1950s. This may have been from a reminiscence about Bill Everett but the full memory escapes me.

It was in Fall 1958 that Lee started to call back select artists to do new work for his reduced line of comics.

p.s.

The name Zenith was just one of 59 shell publishing companies Goodman created to ease or abrogate any economic or legal liabilities that his business empire might or might not have to face in any possible circumstance -- the Depression era was always strong in Goodman's understanding of business.

those are fantastic books! i have a highgrade run of ST110-168 but most are VF with a couple NM's in there. Still need 103,104,107,108, and 109.

this is a recent addition- a press would bump its grade significantly hm

st105_zpsptz4cimv.jpeg