• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
16 16

3,132 posts in this topic

The seller's scan doesn't faithfully reproduce the depth of the colors. But, this issue does appear to display a lot of variation in the contrast of parts of the background. In choosing this copy, I decided to make a sacrifice in that area, in favor of certain other variables. For example, many copies of this issue are trimmed along the RHS in such a way that the top width is almost ¼" shorter than the bottom width. Occasionally it's the other way around. It's not usual to find one that's exactly square (in addition to having strong colors and contrast, and being in nice shape). I'd love to find one that has all the variables going for it. It's a beautiful book.

Well today I drove over to Gurnee to meet with Dan Davis at local monthly show. I have been waiting for this day for a couple weeks and in a sense for several years!

Dan was nice enough to do a sale off ebay for his 9.4 ow/w Oakland Pedigree DD #35.

That book completed my 1-50 DD run in at least 9.4s and with ow/w pages or better. I am still pretty geeked!

Obviously there have been quite a few Boardies prior to me to do something similar and or in way higher grades and I'm sure there will be many more to follow in the coming years. For me the ow/w or better pq was a toughy to achieve. I passed on a lot of books and some deals over the years to "stay the course." I know I am just playing a game with myself and playing into CGC's graders' subjectivity and marketing - but it was a game that I decided to turn into a personal collecting goal .

The pq guidelines of my goal, I do believe, did save me money in the end. It kept me in check at times and I even expanded my patience outside of fly-fishing, hunting (esp. turkey hunting) and my kids.......waiting for a funny book to surface has been added to the list.

But, no matter the cost, whiffed auction ending times, being the underbidder, to slow "buying it now" or "adding to cart," and some hindsight - it was all worth it.

DD imho, is an under-appreciated superhero and a very undervalued hero/character. The DD series through the years has been consistently such an above average read compared to other 1st and 2nd tier character titles.

Happy Times tonight, just had to share the news.

Thank-you so much Dan for making this all happen today, much obliged my man!

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=22678

Another cool thing about today, was I randomly got to meet a valued Boardie, our fellow HG DD aficionado mschmidt and his adorable daughter!

Dan had me walk over to him to show him the book, unbeknown to me who he was and that he was a Boardie. Truly grateful to make his acquaintance, a super nice guy and real DD connoisseur. You really do have some exquisite taste in the DD books you select for your unique set.

(Not just in DD does have some insane looking and grading books, has everyone scoped out his infamous Hellboy and Crow sets to name just two from the lot?!?!)

Hope you two had fun at the show and happy collecting - best to you and the Family.

Grateful to Dan for introducing me and again for my book this afternoon.

Just an overall great day to be a DD collector. :grin:

Crickets chirping.

Wow, my enthusiasm about my DD collecting goals appears to have put this

thread on ice and even prompted a new DD thread to appear.

I even had my two cents about DD as a character at the end for a great

segway into what could have been the OP's quandary of a post.

I guess posting about my DD set news, in a DD thread was the wrong place

to do this. Sorry I shared my excitement, my bad.

Whatta buzz kill.

(Yes I'm pouting and taking my ball and bat and going home)

What a fantastic feat! Beauty!

I've toyed with that idea myself but I don't think I'd have the patience to stay the course like you did.... but what a fantastic accomplishment!

I'd be real curious... do you have a timeline and/or cost/expense report on that? Would be real interesting to see the flow and how long and how much it ended up costing you.

Either way, wicked accomplishment.... I'm jealous :)

(thumbs u That really is quite the accomplishment!

I can only imagine how difficult that would have been having to stay focused/driven for so long!!

Did you start out targeting the 1-50 run or was it originally a 1-10 or something similiar but kept growing?

Thanks guys for the compliments, I appreciate it:)

I was just so fricking happy that day, so I was looking for some high fives of sort, since my beautiful wife, gave me, "oh wow, yeah cool, that's great.....you geek - wanna get dinner started for the kids." lol!! That was all.

1-25 was the original goal, knowing 1-10 would obviously be a goal and a feat unto itself.

I haven't really decided if 1-100 is calling yet or not. Right now, I am just so very content and grateful I was able to do it in a roundabout time frame I hoped for. (Truly glad it never became a chore or a coked up monkey trying to hump a fricken football on my back! I have had a couple small sets act along those lines, defeats the love of the game)

Thanks Michael!!

As for the 500.....maybe we start with baby steps to 75. lol!!

I can't tell you how many times I drooled and admired Doug's set and Barton's sets. Barton's are just simply a thing of beauty.

RMI-HIGH-TECH's & Minty-Mint's especially, are well on their way to awesomeness. Minty-Mint is seriously on the path to an insane set of goodness along the likes of Barton's and the other legendary DD collector that I have always admired his passion and devotion (and again drooled over his COPIOUS DD sets) - Methuen Man.

Well today I drove over to Gurnee to meet with Dan Davis at local monthly show. I have been waiting for this day for a couple weeks and in a sense for several years!

Dan was nice enough to do a sale off ebay for his 9.4 ow/w Oakland Pedigree DD #35.

That book completed my 1-50 DD run in at least 9.4s and with ow/w pages or better. I am still pretty geeked!

Congratulations, Eric!I just saw this now. Killer books, and not an easy feat.

Picked up a DD #1 & #2 Australian version today.

67trpg_th.jpg 23jn7eo_th.jpg

These were printed in 1977, long after DD had made the switch from Yellow to Red so appears Australian printers simply decided to update his costume for him. Not sure Electro would dig losing his Green for Orange though.

t5jcxk_th.jpg

Also Internal pages are black & white so 'Purple Man' is more like 'White Man'

:jokealert: