• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
16 16

3,132 posts in this topic

001.jpg

Almost complete, just missing (#2) for a mini run....

That is amazing looking 3.5 for the #1. Did the writing on the cover really bring it down that much. At first glance that copy looks to be a much higher grade.

001.jpg

Almost complete, just missing (#2) for a mini run....

That is amazing looking 3.5 for the #1. Did the writing on the cover really bring it down that much. At first glance that copy looks to be a much higher grade.

I think it could have pulled a 4.0 - 4.5 but for the name on the cover (which I hate) and a 1.5 inch pen mark on the back cover.

Hello all,

It's taken me a while to join this group as I don't have many pics to share yet. I did want to pass along this story I have of an incredible group of DD's that I bought recently. They are issues #43-#55 from the original owner.

In 1968, when at age 11, she and her brothers decided to ride down to the drug store on their bikes every month and spend $1.00 on comics. She didn't really have any interest in them, but didn't want to be left out. Her brothers bought Spiderman, X-Men, and other "macho" comics . She bought Hulk, Lois Lane, & DD. The siblings decided not to overlap characters, so sadly she was not allowed to buy her own ASM's.

Anyway, while her brothers read their own comics many, many times, ( until they fell apart) she kept hers well-hidden away safe in folders or between books. She moved the locations many times as her brothers would regularly raid her room for them. She herself never read a one. At some point, she put them all in 1-gallon ziplock bags and forgot about them.

A few months back, I was able to buy them for about $10 a piece. (including Hulk 110-117) Their conditions range from 9.0 to potentially 9.4, maybe higher. They really are gorgeous books with supple pages and vibrant covers. White pages mostly, and high-gloss covers to boot. Corners are excellent, although several are slightly blunted. For me, I love that they were jealously protected for all those years and I was able to buy them from the original owner. In a way, it's my own personal "pedigree" collection. Best of all, her name is Mary Jane. (if it was Karen Page, it would have been perfect...) At any rate, I prize these books above all others in my complete DD collection.

Anyway, I will try to post pics of these books soon. Anybody else here have a similar story?