• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gobbledygook

22 posts in this topic

A set of Gobbledygook #1 & 2 recently sold on ebay for $1,446.00 (ended Aug. 24) and the seller swore that they are originals but they have yellow covers. There is no mention of if they are signed and numbered, but the yellow cover should be indication that they are counterfeits. They looked to be about Fine and VF copies regardless of how he graded them. There was no shortage of bidders on the auction to push them to the selling price. I notice that Overstreet says counterfeit copies of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 have no value. For counterfeit copies of Gobbledygook it does not say the same. Overstreet says 50 copies of each were produced, but the Mirage website says 150 copies were produced. Do you think that the low printing of the originals is making the 500 counterfeit copies valuable? Here is a set of the counterfeits I am considering buying if I can get them reasonably:

gobbledy.jpg

It looks like the signatures by Eastman are bogus. Anyone have any information on the counterfeits- like when & where they came out? Would CGC still grade them or reject them (as counterfeits)? 893naughty-thumb.gif

OK- bidding is over for this set (it was at a live auction). When I called in this morning to see if phone bids were OK, the receptionist said it was a rare set signed by Kevin Eastman. I then told her that they were counterfeit, and she had information that the consignor had given them. She said that the original print run was 50 (I was impressed at this point that she had any information at all). She then went on to say that the consignor said that they printed 500 in a hurry in 1984 to send to a New York convention that the consignor attended and that he saw it signed by Eastman. He was collecting for his young son who grew up to be uninterested in comics at all. She then went on to say that the consignor contacted the publisher (recently I believe) and they confirmed that the red signed copies were legitimate.

I didn't win them- I think they went for $500 (maybe less) and I didn't want to go that high. If I would have won they would have given me the contact info of the consignor and that he would have bought them back if proved to be fake. So from this story, if it is to be believed, there are 500 2nd prints out there!

OK- bidding is over for this set (it was at a live auction). When I called in this morning to see if phone bids were OK, the receptionist said it was a rare set signed by Kevin Eastman. I then told her that they were counterfeit, and she had information that the consignor had given them. She said that the original print run was 50 (I was impressed at this point that she had any information at all). She then went on to say that the consignor said that they printed 500 in a hurry in 1984 to send to a New York convention that the consignor attended and that he saw it signed by Eastman. He was collecting for his young son who grew up to be uninterested in comics at all. She then went on to say that the consignor contacted the publisher (recently I believe) and they confirmed that the red signed copies were legitimate.

I didn't win them- I think they went for $500 (maybe less) and I didn't want to go that high. If I would have won they would have given me the contact info of the consignor and that he would have bought them back if proved to be fake. So from this story, if it is to be believed, there are 500 2nd prints out there!

I'm doubtful they are real. Chuck costas over at comicart-l had some extremely convincing documentation saying they were fake including a letter from eastman himself. I'm sure he still has that letter, you might try getting a hold of him.

Just because OS says that counterfeits have no value,doesn't make it so.Fake Cerbus's sell briskly when they reach the market.I'm fairly sure OS says they have no value to cover his [embarrassing lack of self control] in case anyone tried to say he was promoting fake goods.

As far as the Gobbeldygooks go,I've always heard those are fakes,but have no definitive knowledge on them.

I'm doubtful they are real. Chuck costas over at comicart-l had some extremely convincing documentation saying they were fake including a letter from eastman himself. I'm sure he still has that letter, you might try getting a hold of him.

Chuck Costas was involved in helping The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide update information on Gobbledygook #1 and Gobbledygook #2. Chuck was very kind and helpful with a number of details regarding the comics. One of the items which helped update the information on these rare comics was documentation from Kevin Eastman.

Look I'm not tryin' to be a cheap suit but why on earth would anybudy sink a couple of k into Gobbledygook anyway? This is the true definition of insanity.

Why not? Only a 50 issue print run, the first print appearance of TMNT (in an ad), the beginning of the Indie explosion.

A set of Gobbledygook #1 & 2 recently sold on ebay for $1,446.00

the first print appearance of TMNT (in an ad)

This is the true definition of insanity.

'Nuff said

Add in that they were counterfeit copies that sold for that much foreheadslap.gif

A set of Gobbledygook #1 & 2 recently sold on ebay for $1,446.00

the first print appearance of TMNT (in an ad)

This is the true definition of insanity.

'Nuff said

Add in that they were counterfeit copies that sold for that much foreheadslap.gif

Hollar at me if you find real copies for anything less than 5K.

I don't understand how an ad can be considered a first appearance? And some people complain about cameos not really counting as a first appearance....

The first apperance of TMNT and Splinter is TMNT #1. Gobbledygook #1 is first Fugitoid and issues #1 and #2 have ads for TMNT only.

I don't understand how an ad can be considered a first appearance? And some people complain about cameos not really counting as a first appearance....

The first apperance of TMNT and Splinter is TMNT #1. Gobbledygook #1 is first Fugitoid and issues #1 and #2 have ads for TMNT only.

Hey, don't knock the Fugi, he rocked!

Tom - Thanks for the kind words.

My reason for contacting Tom and the Overstreet Price Guide a couple years ago was to surface the fact that there are counterfeit copies of Gobbledygook #1 & 2 out there (in fact there are probably more counterfeit copies out there than real ones). The counterfeits have been out there for years, but I don't think many people knew it because the original print run was so small on the Gobbledygooks, no one knew what authentic copies should look like. The good news is that many people now know that there are counterfeit copies on the market. The bad news is that they don't know how to identify them.

To help people with identifying counterfeits, I am posting all the information I gathered 10 years ago when I fell victim to purchasing counterfeit copies myself. Back then, Kevin Eastman himself was kind enough to help me identify the fakes and he also helped me track down authentic copies for my collection. The information can be found on my ComicArtFans site.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=31028

The letters I have from Kevin confirm:

1) That authentic copies DID NOT have YELLOW covers

2) There were approximately 50 copies each of Gobbledygook #1 & 2 printed

3) The books were not signed and numbered (as many of the counterfeits are)

If you read through the correspondence, you'll also find more information distinguishing the counterfeits I had from authentic copies. One thing I think you'll enjoy seeing are scans of the actual front, back, and inside covers of authentic Gobbledygooks #1 & 2.

I hope is this "definitive" Gobbledygook information can help collectors to identify possible counterfeit copies before they purchase them. If you happen to have counterfeit copies, I'm sorry, but at least now you know.

Kevin was kind enough to help me out years ago - this is my way of "paying it forward." Thanks Kevin.

-Chuck Costas

Thanks for all the comments guys! Speaking of the Turtles... here's the comic that came with the Mail-in Fan Club Kit and I can't find any pricing info on it... anyone ever seen one sell before?

tmntfan.jpg