• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikephoen's Slabbed Batman Collection

119 posts in this topic

Thanks for the welcome!

Ah, VS, damn I tried hard to get that to take hold in Calgary, but it just wouldnt. Oh well. Now I'm trying to get Dreamblade to catch on.... which is going better, I have high hopes for that game.

As for the Batmans, I'm having a great time getting back into collecting, and I'm also very happy with the #11 and #26, hope to get more deals like those. Hopefully next week I will have a new one to put up that should be in the mail now. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

rick:

Glad you liked the books, and if I upgrade anything I will let you know about the under copy. I see we were both bidding on the Batman #30 on ebay today, but we both missed out (my ebay name is phoenixcomicsnw, btw). Too bad for us, it looked like a decent one. I was also outbid on the #36 today and a #9 yesterday. Here I thought I might get a good deal on them with it being a holiday weekend across North America. Guess GA collectors dont go camping....

grin.gif

I have this #36 available:

batman36cgc80vn5.jpg

Scan makes it darker than it really is. PM if interested.

New arrival today! I am very happy with this #13 that I picked up on ebay for $436. It certainly looks better than a 4.0 to me. Personally I would put it in the 5.0 to 5.5 range. It definitely looks better structurally, and has better eye-appeal in my opinion, than the 5.5 #38 I picked up earlier in the thread.

Batman13-1.jpg

The 13s holder is actually cracked at the bottom right, even missing a small piece of plastic from the bottom. At some point I will likely get it reslabbed, and I might just go for the resub instead of the reholder. I figure I'll probably wait until I have a bunch to do at the same time.

Its been a while, but I finally have another book to add to this thread. I received this one a week ago, but I finally had time to get it scanned tonight. I bought this one from board member whomerjay for $600. Whomerjay was great to deal with and i hope to deal with him again in the future. As for the book.... pretty happy with it, though it does have a small but rather irritating problem, which I will try to illustrate in the second scan.

First, here is the book:

Batman36.jpg

Now here is a scan of the problem with the book.

Batman36spinetear.jpg

CGC seems to have misassembled the holder, allowing a very sharp piece of plastic to protrude into the inner shell, which has torn a small (~2mm) hole in the spine. My first experience with 'shaken comic syndrome', although I think this form of it is atypical. It appears to me that during shipping the book moved around enough in the inner shell to cause the plastic to cut into the book. I can cause the book to move back and forth in the inner shell just by tipping the book up and down, so bouncing all the way from North Carolina to Alberta was more than enough. Oh well, still a nice copy... just not a true 8.0 anymore. frown.gif

I've been on a buying spree the last few weeks, and the first books have started to find their way through Canada Customs to me.

First up is a Batman #30 in CGC 4.0 that I picked up on ebay for $200. A great deal in my opinion (~65% Overstreet), and the cheapest addition to my run so far. The book itself has very nice eye-appeal, and is undergraded in my opinion. I'm really not sure what knocked it all the way to a 4.0, as it is certainly nicer than a lot of other 4.0s I've seen. There is a very small impact damage on the back cover that appears to have sliced though the cover, but its only about half an inch long, and almost imperceptable. I tried scanning it, but it didnt show up at all. If thats what brings an otherwise 6.0 book down to a 4.0, I'll take them all. thumbsup2.gif

I love this cover also. I bet this soldier is really happy that Batman has brought him a new gun, and given his position away at the same time!

Batman30.jpg

Mike,

If I'm down in Calgary, is your shop worth a look see? I'm primarily interested in silver age books.

Thanks,

John

(3 hours North on Hwy 2 - Go Oilers Go!)

Just arrived today, a Batman #2 in cgc 4.0, courtesy of James F. Payette, who I learned of from reading other threads on here. Jim was a great guy to deal with, and I hope to do more business with him in the future. I paid $2250 for this one, and its a decent looking book with great colors. A fair number more structural flaws than the #30 above, though both got a 4.0... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This one looks like a 4.0 should in my opinon, and really accentuates just how nice the #30 above is.

Batman2.jpg

My first raw book, also from James F. Payette, paid $895. I've heard very good things from others on here with regards to Jim's grading, so I decided to take a chance on a raw book. Jim graded this a VG+, and I would agree. The only major defect is a half inch spine split... and in my experience, CGC is more lenient on spine splits than I am when I grade a book, so I'm hoping I get at least a 5.0 when I submit this. The book is very clean and has very good colors. I also recently bought a restored CGC 7.0 Batman #6 from thebigloo on ebay.... so I might end up flipping this one if it comes back from CGC in higher than 5.0. If not... I guess I have a start on a post for the greedy bastards thead. grin.gif

Batman6raw.jpg

Well, I have a strict no oiler fan policy in the store.... just kidding tongue.gif

I have a reasonable selection of silver age... nothing like the old days, but I think I have a better selection than anyone else in town. No big keys right now though. Stop in if you're in the area, we're easy to find right on 16th Ave (the TransCanada Highway).

My first raw book, also from James F. Payette, paid $895. I've heard very good things from others on here with regards to Jim's grading, so I decided to take a chance on a raw book. Jim graded this a VG+, and I would agree. The only major defect is a half inch spine split... and in my experience, CGC is more lenient on spine splits than I am when I grade a book, so I'm hoping I get at least a 5.0 when I submit this. The book is very clean and has very good colors. I also recently bought a restored CGC 7.0 Batman #6 from thebigloo on ebay.... so I might end up flipping this one if it comes back from CGC in higher than 5.0. If not... I guess I have a start on a post for the greedy bastards thead. grin.gif

Batman6raw.jpg

Jim is an excellent grader. Nice book!

Two more new arrivals yesterday. Both from ComicLink, one from the regular listings (#16 in CGC 6.5 for $1710) and one from the recent Focused Auction (#28 in 8.0 for $819). Very happy with both, the red background on the #28 is especially nice.

Batman16.jpg

Batman28.jpg