• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you outbid fellow forum members? Or do you lay off?

115 posts in this topic

Yes, unless it's nikos.

You're all heart stooges.gif

But then you screwed me by bidding on other stuff you said you weren't interested in. makepoint.gif

Remeber when I did the same thing to you and you and I were in the middle of IM'ing each other foreheadslap.gifsorry.gif

Yeah, thanks buddy. foreheadslap.gif

If I see a fellow formulite bidding on a book that I want I have found that this works from time to time.

1. PM the fellow formulite & let him/her know of your interest in the book.

2. If you are both interested discuss each others maximum bid.

3. Person who has the lower bid may agree to stand aside.

This only works if both party's are completly honest with each other and sometimes both parties really want the book & can only wish each other best of luck. Its not perfect but to me thats part of the beauty of the forums. We can try to help each other out.

Regards,

Russ... popcorn.gif

Looks like someone's got the case of the Mondays... tongue.gif

mondays.jpg

Off Topic, but the film "Office Space" was filmed here in Austin hence my notice of your post. The first of the movie where the guy in the walker is moving faster than the traffic itself is definitely true as that scene was filmed on Mopac (Loop1) and I used to have to drive that mess every day. Thanks for the funny pic. With that said, I think October should be stoned. wink.gif

Also, let me apologize now in case I have ever sniped any of you for a book. I don't need another thread all about me. laugh.gif

Scott

Sadly there are those of us who don't know each other Ebay names, I know mine is completely Different. Maybe we should start a thread with each other ebay names for reference. In order to prevent accidental hard feelings.

I agree. Doing that would make october's and my job much easier, too.

Well, the offender hasn't chimed in yet . . . he's too busy trollin' my other bids . . . grin.gif

So it's either jduran or october. gossip.gif

confused.gif

If it was me it wasn't intentional. I rarely if ever look at the bidders or history when I bid. I just toss in a number. That's exactly what I did this time.

If it's such a big deal, Dave can have the [embarrassing lack of self control] book. Thanks for PMing me first about it, before starting a thread. Maybe you should "show a little respect next time" instead of being a about it and airing it for everyone to see.

I know Andy - he's an honest, trustworthy guy. If he says he didn't look to see who was bidding, then he didn't look to see who was bidding . . . (there was only one bid, so it's freakin' impossible not to see it makepoint.gif)

But hey, friendship is worth more than a $10 book any day of the week flowerred.gif

And btw, it's a good topic (obviously) grin.gif

I personally won't harbor any bad feelings if a forum member bids more than I do. If I really wanted the book, then I should've bid more in the first place. I also don't feel comfortable discussing my bids with other people, since it may impact the auction itself. Heck, what if the seller is a forum member too, and 6 or 7 potential buyers are collaberating to keep the price down?!

I don't want to get into the habbit of bidding early just so I don't feel guilty about sniping a book from someone else. The best approach would be if the second highest bidder contacts the winning bidder after the auction ends to purchase the book for the selling price. That way the winning bidder hasn't lost any money, and the seller doesn't get screwed because of some insider discussion.

Plus, sometimes I'm almost glad when I get outbid on certain books to snap me out of this obsessive habit. tongue.gif

I try not to outbid a forum member -- but if it's a book I really want, all's fair in love and war -- but generally I like to back off as a courtesy.

thumbsup2.gif

headbang.gif

I personally won't harbor any bad feelings if a forum member bids more than I do. If I really wanted the book, then I should've bid more in the first place. I also don't feel comfortable discussing my bids with other people, since it may impact the auction itself. Heck, what if the seller is a forum member too, and 6 or 7 potential buyers are collaberating to keep the price down?!

I don't want to get into the habbit of bidding early just so I don't feel guilty about sniping a book from someone else. The best approach would be if the second highest bidder contacts the winning bidder after the auction ends to purchase the book for the selling price. That way the winning bidder hasn't lost any money, and the seller doesn't get screwed because of some inside discussion.

Plus, sometimes I'm almost glad when I get outbid on certain books to snap me out of this obsessive habit. tongue.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Playing Devil's Advocate here, what happens when the seller is a board member, too?

Shouldn't you be obliged to bid, to ensure that the seller achieves something approaching FMV? Rather than backing off on something that you want and were prepared to pay more than the current bid for?

And then take it that little step further and suggest that doesn't every seller deserve that courtesy? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just a question, mind.

'Question' obviously spelt C-A-N O-F W-O-R-M-S tongue.gif