• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you outbid fellow forum members? Or do you lay off?

115 posts in this topic

But like I said earlier, recognizing Board friendship is more important than any comic book . .

I really don't understand what this has to do with "friendship". So what if two friends (or even "board friends") want the same book? Just bid on the damned thing. I'd rather lose it to a friend than a stranger. But this "Oh, let me know before you bid. How could you outbid me?" thing is ridiculous, and, to be honest, strikes me as belonging in the grammar school playground.

And JC - you should have stuck to your usual outspokeness instead of whimping out with a "I set it and forget it". It would be interesting to see your take on the actual question.

PS - when I was collecting I lost occasionally, to other forum members. Was glad to see them get it.

Great post. thumbsup2.gif

For instance, Whomerjay and I have outbid each other on multiple occassions over the past 3 years (especially when my Ebay ID was "ed60618"), but we always converse later like it's part of the game.

My max bid is usually so low that I'm outbid anyways... I hardly ever look at who has bid, and if I did, I wouldn't really care as if they really wanted it they would outbid me.

My max bid is usually only 1/5 to 1/4 FMV.

I don't win too many auctions, but occasionally I do and when I do I obviously get great deals.

I have no problem paying whatever i feel is fair for a book i want, regardless of who's bidding. Isn't there a word to describe when a group of people actually scheme to manipulate an open auction? Then it's not an open auction anymore. If anyone get's personally upset over being outbid for a comic by someone they know, I think that person has more important issues to deal with than just filling his/her run, and finding more money is not the issue I was thinking of. confused-smiley-013.gif

Now let me go edit my earlier post, and trash that Hulk 181 you bought devil.gif

WTF are you talking about? screwy.gif

The only thing I've bought on eBay recently is a batch of ratty GA/SA Penguin comics that included a Signet reprint book (which I didn't know existed before laugh.gif).

Clearly I am in Mica & Aces boat. tongue.gif

But like I said earlier, recognizing Board friendship is more important than any comic book . .

I really don't understand what this has to do with "friendship". So what if two friends (or even "board friends") want the same book? Just bid on the damned thing. I'd rather lose it to a friend than a stranger. But this "Oh, let me know before you bid. How could you outbid me?" thing is ridiculous, and, to be honest, strikes me as belonging in the grammar school playground.

And JC - you should have stuck to your usual outspokeness instead of whimping out with a "I set it and forget it". It would be interesting to see your take on the actual question.

PS - when I was collecting I lost occasionally, to other forum members. Was glad to see them get it.

Great post. thumbsup2.gif

For instance, Whomerjay and I have outbid each other on multiple occassions over the past 3 years (especially when my Ebay ID was "ed60618"), but we always converse later like it's part of the game.

"$skybolt$" is a little more recognizable, and those dollar signs seem to say "unlimited funds to spend here so don't even try for this book". When I see you are involved in an auction these days, it usually means the competition's so keen it's a book that neither of us is likely to get OR we won't be getting it cheap. I think the last time we both went after a book (some oldtime dealer with HG Excitings/Thrillings etc.) I dropped out early and you ended up with it for about 125% of GPA (which doesn't look so bad right now).

This type of scenario seems much more common with HG silver and bronze where I frequently see multiple board members having placed bids. Doesn't seem like "where's the love?" sentiment applies then.

"$skybolt$" is a little more recognizable, and those dollar signs seem to say "unlimited funds to spend here so don't even try for this book". When I see you are involved in an auction these days, it usually means the competition's so keen it's a book that neither of us is likely to get OR we won't be getting it cheap. I think the last time we both went after a book (some oldtime dealer with HG Excitings/Thrillings etc.) I dropped out early and you ended up with it for about 125% of GPA (which doesn't look so bad right now).

This type of scenario seems much more common with HG silver and bronze where I frequently see multiple board members having placed bids. Doesn't seem like "where's the love?" sentiment applies then.

To be honest with you, I was completely surprised when "skybolt" was not available for my Ebay ID, so I just added the $ signs as a distinguishing trademark. I never thought it would take on its own meaning. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I am so happy that I can pick a "Unique" id. Have yet to find anyone else using Timulty. On the subject though, if I see another forum member bidding on a book(cough, cough ronm) I will bid a small fraction and watch it during the week. If it goes for less than I am will to pay for it(we are talking WAY less), then I will bid a few hours before the end. Not more than a good deal though(say 40% less than guide). So, I put the kid gloves on. I don't want a forum member to get a incredible steal but I don't want to get into a bidding battle with them either.

Now let me go edit my earlier post, and trash that Hulk 181 you bought devil.gif

The only thing I've bought on eBay recently is a batch of ratty GA/SA Penguin comics that included a Signet reprint book (which I didn't know existed before laugh.gif).

Proof of my low-ball bidding! acclaim.gif

If you can't beat my $15 - $20 bids on $75 - $150 books then shame on you.

poke2.gif

poke2.gif

Too steep for me. poke2.gif

poke2.gif

Too steep for me. poke2.gif

CGC Boards pecking order from the bottom up:

Butters

Mica

Aces

blush.gif

Sadly there are those of us who don't know each other Ebay names, I know mine is completely Different. Maybe we should start a thread with each other ebay names for reference. In order to prevent accidental hard feelings.

I agree. Doing that would make october's and my job much easier, too.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=6&vc=1

If I see something on Ebay that I want & recognize the high bidder as a forum member...I PM them to see how serious there are about the book. If they want it more than I do...I back off. If I want it more....they do. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I try my best not to bid against a fellow forumite, especially if they are really going after a book for their collection.

I remember when I was looking to buy my second CGC 9.8 Captain Savage & His Leatherneck Raiders #1 comic. I noticed Sheradon had already placed a bid so I refrained from bidding.

He ended up winning the book & I am sure that one day he may do the same for me in return if the situation arose.

Russ... flowerred.gif

flowerred.gif

Yes, I haven't forgot that and would most certainly return the favor.

I get outbid by you guys all the time.....I'm usually not going after books very aggressively, so consequenly I don't win too many. If I really want it, I'll bid agressively. With that said, I typically won't bid on a book if I recognize it's a board member.

You beat my dollar bid on those Surfers a week or two back mad.gif

The funniest is when Skinny snipped me in the last second of a Transformers auction. I couldn't stop laughing. I didn't even really want the book.

I didn't even know it was you. confused-smiley-013.gif

If I see something on Ebay that I want & recognize the high bidder as a forum member...I PM them to see how serious there are about the book. If they want it more than I do...I back off. If I want it more....they do. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I try my best not to bid against a fellow forumite, especially if they are really going after a book for their collection.

I have to reiterate I just do not get this. Because someone posts here it makes them more special? How do you kow that the person who is not a Forumite is not just as - what? - fine, wonderful, insightful? Maybe ever heard of this place? That does not make them any less worthy or any less due the same consideration. Maybe if they found this place and started posting the folks would show them more consideration?

thumbsup2.gif

I have to reiterate I just do not get this. Because someone posts here it makes them more special? How do you kow that the person who is not a Forumite is not just as - what? - fine, wonderful, insightful? Maybe ever heard of this place? That does not make them any less worthy or any less due the same consideration. Maybe if they found this place and started posting the folks would show them more consideration?

I sniped a sweet book from a forumite recently and I love it. hi.gif

thumbsup2.gif

i'm a little puzzled by your attitude on this.Do you consider your fellow forumites friends? If so,why wouldn't you expect special treatment from them or extend them treatment you would not extend a stranger?

There are forumites that I would not bid against,and there are forumites I might overbid against. I've cut several forumites very nice deals even though I've never met them.Did so today,to a friend of yours,in fact.And have gotten many more,in return.

To me,this is an on-line community and those that make it a nice place to be will certainly get extra consideration from me.

If I see a fellow formulite bidding on a book that I want I have found that this works from time to time.

1. PM the fellow formulite & let him/her know of your interest in the book.

2. If you are both interested discuss each others maximum bid.

3. Person who has the lower bid may agree to stand aside.

This only works if both party's are completly honest with each other and sometimes both parties really want the book & can only wish each other best of luck. Its not perfect but to me thats part of the beauty of the forums. We can try to help each other out.

Regards,

Russ... popcorn.gif

thumbsup2.gif Done this in the past.

thumbsup2.gif

I sniped a sweet book from a forumite recently and I love it. hi.gif
hail.gif

I mostly just troll forum members' ebay buying account IDs and bid just enough to drive up prices. confused-smiley-013.gif

I like that... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Generally I look out for forum members.

If I like'em, I leave well alone....If I don't, I grind them into the dust.... whether I want the book or not is of little consequence devil.gif

Am I joking? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif