• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you outbid fellow forum members? Or do you lay off?

115 posts in this topic

I have and have been alerted by fellow boardmembers(bigfiver and rocketeer come to mind) about certain books that are on the bay. I don't bid against Rocketeer because he wins all of the auctions he bids on(and I get his sloppy seconds). Bigfiver and I have alerted each other about war books and divvied up which books the other needs to fill holes. I appreciate the heads up and I'm sure they do too.

Otherwise, I don't know anyone else's eBay ID and don't care, except for Greggy who already has enough sweet DC's.

If I see something on Ebay that I want & recognize the high bidder as a forum member...I PM them to see how serious there are about the book. If they want it more than I do...I back off. If I want it more....they do. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I try my best not to bid against a fellow forumite, especially if they are really going after a book for their collection.

I have to reiterate I just do not get this. Because someone posts here it makes them more special? How do you kow that the person who is not a Forumite is not just as - what? - fine, wonderful, insightful? Maybe ever heard of this place? That does not make them any less worthy or any less due the same consideration. Maybe if they found this place and started posting the folks would show them more consideration?

I agree, I do not get it either. I have had many forum members bid against me and I have bid against others. All is fair in love and war. I never had a problem with it ( I guess since I won most of the auctions.) I did have a forum member email once asking not to get in a bidding war on some comics and I agreed .

If I see something on Ebay that I want & recognize the high bidder as a forum member...I PM them to see how serious there are about the book. If they want it more than I do...I back off. If I want it more....they do. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I try my best not to bid against a fellow forumite, especially if they are really going after a book for their collection.

I have to reiterate I just do not get this. Because someone posts here it makes them more special? How do you kow that the person who is not a Forumite is not just as - what? - fine, wonderful, insightful? Maybe ever heard of this place? That does not make them any less worthy or any less due the same consideration. Maybe if they found this place and started posting the folks would show them more consideration?

I agree, I do not get it either. I have had many forum members bid against me and I have bid against others. All is fair in love and war. I never had a problem with it ( I guess since I won most of the auctions.) I did have a forum member email once asking not to get in a bidding war on some comics and I agreed .

I think the distinction, at least for me, is how well you "know" someone here. Certainly there are forumites with whom I consider my friends, and hang out in real life. Others are online personas to me, who I feel as if I know. Others, quite honestly, I don't know or care about.

Also, I'm like many others and don't know or recognize forumites by their eBay usernames. So, if I'm bidding on eBay, and I happen to recognize the username, whether or not I bid will depend on: 1) how much I want the book; 2) where, relative to FMV, the current level of bidding is; 3) what I think of the particular forumite.

I wouldn't automatically refrain from bidding from a known forumite, just because they're a forumite. But, I might choose not to bid on a book if I recognize a bidder. The same thing would happen if I know someone else, say from work, is bidding on a book.

I think the distinction, at least for me, is how well you "know" someone here. Certainly there are forumites with whom I consider my friends, and hang out in real life. Others are online personas to me, who I feel as if I know. Others, quite honestly, I don't know or care about.

Also, I'm like many others and don't know or recognize forumites by their eBay usernames. So, if I'm bidding on eBay, and I happen to recognize the username, whether or not I bid will depend on: 1) how much I want the book; 2) where, relative to FMV, the current level of bidding is; 3) what I think of the particular forumite.

I wouldn't automatically refrain from bidding from a known forumite, just because they're a forumite. But, I might choose not to bid on a book if I recognize a bidder. The same thing would happen if I know someone else, say from work, is bidding on a book.

Agreed 100%. As intimate a venue as the forums may seem, there are a lot of people on here. A few are very close friends, some I think of as friends and/or casual acquaintances, but there are many I basically still consider strangers even though I recognize their name from the boards and read their posts.

thumbsup2.gif

I sniped a sweet book from a forumite recently and I love it. hi.gif
hail.gif

frown.gif

If you can't beat my $15 - $20 bids on $75 - $150 books then shame on you.

poke2.gif

Too steep for me. poke2.gif

CGC Boards pecking order from the bottom up:

Butters

Mica

Aces

blush.gif

893blahblah.gif

CGC Boards pecking order from the bottom up:

Butters

Lazyboy

Mica

Aces

FIXED poke2.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Now back to the original topic. In theory I would outbid other forum members (I rarely look at who else is bidding anyway), but if you're getting outbid by me, you clearly have no real interest in winning.

thumbsup2.gif

I sniped a sweet book from a forumite recently and I love it. hi.gif
hail.gif
Not u dork. And that was a book you said you weren't interested in but bid anyways. makepoint.gif

frown.gif

I know stooges.gif

I just outbid another forumite last night.

Though he was top pegging at the time, there's been a few other chaps who've also done the same.

So it goes to show it's all relative, while you could go around contacting one another slapping each other on the back saying job well done. Some other 'nobody' could come along and out bid the book right from under your nose!

E.g this is a redundant thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no problem paying whatever i feel is fair for a book i want, regardless of who's bidding. Isn't there a word to describe when a group of people actually scheme to manipulate an open auction? Then it's not an open auction anymore. If anyone get's personally upset over being outbid for a comic by someone they know, I think that person has more important issues to deal with than just filling his/her run, and finding more money is not the issue I was thinking of. confused-smiley-013.gif

- Collusion - a secret agreement, esp. for fraudulent or treacherous purposes; conspiracy

Was that the word you were looking for?

I also feel the same as some others. Do people at an art auction discuss if they will back off on a piece of work? If they did they would be thrown out. I have been beaten out many times by forum members and it doesn't bother me in the least. I have a budget that I work with, if a book goes past that, then god bless the winner. My hat goes off to them!

Got outbid last night on a Spidey 39 by a forumite, damn those Brits stooges.gif

Maybe we should hold a fantasy draft among board members, and each person winds up selecting about 10 books that no other forumite can bid on. Of course trades can occur over time, but only if approved by NOD members tongue.gifmakepoint.gif