• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

He reads comics...

20 posts in this topic

I may be in the minority on this...

But I think a campaign along these lines would be HUGE... and might be the best thing to happen to comics in 20 years...

Because not only would a campaign like this boost sales... it would also convince more great creators to spend a little time in our medium... Even if it was just a few issues... People with creative talent are always interested in testing themselves, to see where else they can excel. It's why actors want to direct. It's why tv stars want to do movies. If word gets out how vibrant and exciting this medium is, there will be people lined up to try their hand...

I'd love to see a guy like Shawn Ryan (creator of The Shield on FX) write a mini-series or two...

I don't know..it makes reading comics seem that much dorkier..that you have to resort to having someone famous come out and say "yes...I read comics.." It's like being at an A.A. meeting. tongue.gif

Brian

I may be in the minority on this...

You are definately not in the minority.

One of the biggest problems comic books have, aside from the 'they are just for kids perception", is that the medium is treated with a certain amount of distain by the creative community and the general public. As though if you work in comics then you are not REALLY being creative. I remember reading in Stan Lee's autobiography that he used to 'pretend' that he wasn't a comic book writer when people asked what he did for a living as he was embarassed. I found it kinda sad that he had to do that, sure times have changed, but not that much. frown.gif

I don't know..it makes reading comics seem that much dorkier..that you have to resort to having someone famous come out and say "yes...I read comics.." It's like being at an A.A. meeting. tongue.gif

Brian

I don't think it comes off that way at all...

It seems more to me a reminder that these people are much cooler than you could ever hope to be... (the reader, not you specifically)...

People will do anything to emulate their idols... wear stupid clothes, use idiotic language, copy strange hand gestures, pay outrageous prices because the right name is on them...

Reading comics isn't that much of a stretch...

love the idea.

hate the execution.

if the plan was to piggyback the success of the milk ads, they should be full-bleed rich b.w images or better color portraits with better graphics, This looks like the ads on the side of a milk carton.

Brian

I disagree on this one... I think the vast majority of consumers ALREADY think comic books are one step up from toilet paper... a campaign along these lines can only help.

Why don't Marvel and DC send copies of their top 10 or so titles to some sampling of the Hollywood community for free? George Clooney goes out to get his mail and there's the latest issue of Spidey, whether he asked for it or not! At worst, he throws it away. More likely, it ends up in a box of stuff for Goodwill or another charity. Ideally, he glances at it, likes what he sees and becomes a regular reader, shares the passion with others, etc.

At the very least, the comic book publishers could legitimately claim "Well, George Clooney gets Spiderman in his mailbox every month!"

Brian

See, I think that should actually BE the angle. Self-parody humor, as if all these brilliant minds are scuffing their feet and bashfully saying, "Yeah, um...I read comics..."

It might also be a good way to approach parents on the issue. I was recently questioned (in a friendly way) by a mom in the comics store while she was waiting for her son to buy some comics, and she teasingly asked me, "Ever grow out of them?" I was very friendly right back, but was curious whether she thought I was some overgrown kid living with my parents reading comics. Since I have three college degrees and work as a psychotherapist in a crisis center, she was reassured, actually.

An ad campaign that pokes fun as the nerdy stereotype of comics and yet substantiates the medium by having role-models endorse it would be great.

Who else reads comics?

Tim Burton

Danny Elfman

Steven Spielberg

Peter Jackson

Ian McKellan?

who else?

disagree on this one... I think the vast majority of consumers ALREADY think comic books are one step up from toilet paper... a campaign along these lines can only help.

I read comments like this a lot, and I don't agree. From my experience, people who don't know anything about comics tend not to have any opinion or thought about it at all. If someone were to ask me my opinions on antique furniture, I wouldn't have anything to say because I know nothing about it.

I think comic collectors are over-sensitive. Just because someone dosen't collect, read or know anything about comics, dosen't mean they have any disdain for them. The few times I've talked about the hobby with people outside the community, they either don't react at all(positive or negative) or become somewhat intrigued and ask more questions.

As for the celebrities, I personally could care less about what they read, just like I could care less about their political views or who's dating who. I can see Murph's point that there is a sort of desperation in turning to celebrities. But for some reason the general public holds these people in high regard(don't know why) so it can be effective. I may not personally like it, but if it helps the biz, then so be it.

Brian

See, I think that should actually BE the angle. Self-parody humor, as if all these brilliant minds are scuffing their feet and bashfully saying, "Yeah, um...I read comics..."

It might also be a good way to approach parents on the issue. I was recently questioned (in a friendly way) by a mom in the comics store while she was waiting for her son to buy some comics, and she teasingly asked me, "Ever grow out of them?" I was very friendly right back, but was curious whether she thought I was some overgrown kid living with my parents reading comics. Since I have three college degrees and work as a psychotherapist in a crisis center, she was reassured, actually.

An ad campaign that pokes fun as the nerdy stereotype of comics and yet substantiates the medium by having role-models endorse it would be great.

Who else reads comics?

Tim Burton

Danny Elfman

Steven Spielberg

Peter Jackson

Ian McKellan?

who else?

Brilliant minds? I wouldn't say that. Talented in their chosen proffesion, yes.

BTW, Tim Burton once said "Anyone who knows me, knows I would never read a comic book". He may have directed Batman, but he's not a comic fan.

To SmokingHawk's point:

There are a lot of moms and dads out there whose only awareness/perception of comic books is "kid's stuff, immature, not even related to literature."

Captain, YOU may not know anyone who feels this way about comic books, but you probably travel in the right social circles wink.gif

Think of the "Got Milk?" campaign involving celebs... everyone's aware of milk - and everyone's at least aware that comic books exist - but not everyone considers milk "cool," and that was one of the primary goals of that campaign. Make milk seem not only essential - especially with sweet, snack-type foods - but also make milk seem like something you shouldn't be ashamed to be caught drinking.

The only way this "Got Comics?" campaign can fail is if they pick illiterate public figures to feature as comic book fans - our glorious Commander In Chief leaps to mind smile.gif

The only way this "Got Comics?" campaign can fail is if they pick illiterate public figures to feature as comic book fans - our glorious Commander In Chief leaps to mind smile.gif

Hillary? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Martin Sheen?

Brilliant minds? I wouldn't say that. Talented in their chosen proffesion, yes.

BTW, Tim Burton once said "Anyone who knows me, knows I would never read a comic book". He may have directed Batman, but he's not a comic fan.

Oops. My bad.

I still think those people are brilliant minds, though.

(I was under the impression that Burton read Sandman.)