• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man #1...opinions please!

40 posts in this topic

I think this one is a 6.5-7.0. below is my 8.0 for reference.

IM00180.jpg

now that is one hell of a sexy book thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gif

Thanks! I'll admit I thought it would grade higher. Notice on the right edge midway down there is what I thought was a small scratch, but what may be a neat cut/ tear....been meaning to call for graders notes.

because of the deep purple cover this one always grades harsher as everything really really shows.

That said I thought the grades were being a little too kind.

Aside from the tear and the other defects noted, you have at least 8 color breaking spine ticks, a fairly large color breaking crease/stress mark above IMs right boot and very visible top edgewear.

There also looks to be something going on at the top left corner along the spine.

Allowing that in hand may be a little better, I can't see this higher than 6.0

This is one of my favorite covers and I tend to grade it rather strict.

BUCKEYE, I just can't let this one go: I thought your assessment was a little harsh, but that's OK...I asked for opinions and you thought it was a 6.0...no problem. But then I stumbled upon a thread in the General forum where your Cap 100 on eBay was being called out for being seriously overgraded. Here is your auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200024534230

And here is a direct quote from your description:

"You can safely call this a VF- 7.5 but if you sent it in to CGC it might come back as high as 9.0 VF/NM"

So I'm more than a little confused about your grading standards. My IM #1 is a 6.0 at best, but your Cap 100 is a 7.5 and might come back from CGC as a 9.0? yeahok.gif

Something smells rotten here... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

because of the deep purple cover this one always grades harsher as everything really really shows.

That said I thought the grades were being a little too kind.

Aside from the tear and the other defects noted, you have at least 8 color breaking spine ticks, a fairly large color breaking crease/stress mark above IMs right boot and very visible top edgewear.

There also looks to be something going on at the top left corner along the spine.

Allowing that in hand may be a little better, I can't see this higher than 6.0

This is one of my favorite covers and I tend to grade it rather strict.

BUCKEYE, I just can't let this one go: I thought your assessment was a little harsh, but that's OK...I asked for opinions and you thought it was a 6.0...no problem. But then I stumbled upon a thread in the General forum where your Cap 100 on eBay was being called out for being seriously overgraded. Here is your auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200024534230

And here is a direct quote from your description:

"You can safely call this a VF- 7.5 but if you sent it in to CGC it might come back as high as 9.0 VF/NM"

So I'm more than a little confused about your grading standards. My IM #1 is a 6.0 at best, but your Cap 100 is a 7.5 and might come back from CGC as a 9.0? yeahok.gif

Something smells rotten here... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nothing rotten Inhuman, as I posted in the thread you point out. I just grade IM 1 more harsh than other books. I said as much when I left the grade.

Its ok to have contradictory opinons and to even seemingly grade different books with different standards. It is subjective.

I didn't mean offend.

Can we be friends? flowerred.gif

No problem Buckeye, no offense taken. I totally respect your grade/opinion on my book and don't expect everyone to agree with me...heck, that is why we post stuff in this forum...to seek other opinions!

BUT...I still don't get the different grading standards for different books thing...it just has the appearance of being self-serving in the case of your Cap auction.

Anyway, no hard feelings here... thumbsup2.gif

It would be a cold day in hell when that Cap 100 came back a 9.0.

I know, I know..

The 7.5 is my rose colored grade on that book. The "maybe a 9.0" is EBay fluff marketing. Maybe too much, maybe not. I'm still trying to find the best way to get the appropriate price on Ebay. Work in progress.

I hope we all can seperate EBay marketing from hardcore grading here on this forum.

Its ok to have contradictory opinons and to even seemingly grade different books with different standards. It is subjective.

27_laughing.gif I'd say you're in the right forum!

As I read it, it does sound funny. I just mean that certain issues for whatever reason are probably graded tougher by different folks on a case by case basis. I think CGC grades this one harder too for what its worth.

Case in point, here is a recent submission that came back 5.5 with no tear and comparible appearance I would think.

IM15.jpg

I know, I know..

The 7.5 is my rose colored grade on that book. The "maybe a 9.0" is EBay fluff marketing. Maybe too much, maybe not. I'm still trying to find the best way to get the appropriate price on Ebay. Work in progress.

I hope we all can seperate EBay marketing from hardcore grading here on this forum.

...what svndst1030 said. thumbsup2.gif and if there is a price that you think is "appropriate", then use the reserve feature. confused-smiley-013.gif Accuracy and honesty in your auctions will establish for you a good rep, thus attracting more bidders and realizing higher hammer prices.

I know, I know..

...what svndst1030 said. thumbsup2.gif and if there is a price that you think is "appropriate", then use the reserve feature. confused-smiley-013.gif Accuracy and honesty in your auctions will establish for you a good rep, thus attracting more bidders and realizing higher hammer prices.

Lets not get carried away here. I graded it at 7.5 and put the 7.5 price as "appropriate". I also include large scans for others to make their own judgement. If you disagree with the grade, we can discuss that. If I made a mistake in the grade it is just that, a mistake. It is not some underhanded or intentionally misleading scheme.

I don't think anyone interprets "colorfull" marketing language as anything more than that. People are not going to bid over the graded price anyway just because I say that it might get a 9.0

I know, I know..

Lets not get carried away here. I graded it at 7.5 and put the 7.5 price as "appropriate". I also include large scans for others to make their own judgement. If you disagree with the grade, we can discuss that. If I made a mistake in the grade it is just that, a mistake. It is not some underhanded or intentionally misleading scheme.

I don't think anyone interprets "colorfull" marketing language as anything more than that. People are not going to bid over the graded price anyway just because I say that it might get a 9.0

A newcomer could very well bid higher expecting a 9.0 from CGC. Which is exactly what you want them to do or else you would not have marketed it that way. What you call 'colorful marketing language' others could call dishonesty. If even you don't believe what you state in your ad, what else could it be called?

I think your intentions are good overall and you've learned from this. From one Iron Man freak to another, keep on rockin!

It is not some underhanded or intentionally misleading scheme.

Unfortunately, me-Bucko that's EXACTLY what it is. sumo.gif There's a "sucker born a minute" and they're going to believe exactly what you tell them . . . so quit the spamming CGC reference and straighten up and fly right! grin.gif

Yay, a fight! But anyway, the Iron Man 1 here is a 6.0 or 6.5 IMHO, and it's also definitely nicer than a certain Cap 100.

As for ebay marketing techniques, how can you say something that is blatantly not believable to anyone who has more than a few weeks' experience in the hobby? Keyword spammers do not get higher ebay prices than everyone else, they just annoy a chunk of the community who tend to pay multiples of guide for anything encased in plastic bearing a number that starts with a 9. In other words, the kind of customers everyone selling comics should want to keep happy.

And I don't think that boarders should be given a free pass if they misrepresent something, or simply can't grade to the standards to which most of us try to adhere. Of course everyone is different, but frequenting the grading forum here should ensure that everyone is in the same range.