• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine #1 (the new one)

21 posts in this topic

Hate to be a "mean man," but am I alone in my impression that the art in this is terrible? Absolutely DEFORMED human posture and musculature, and weird perspective (forearms both turned away from the viewer, as if the artist can only draw bodies one way), and with stumpy legs and over-bulged upper bodies (not in the sense that "Logan's a short guy," but in the sense that the artist has no concept of human proportions).

Life drawing classes, please!

Sorry, Hawk. Only reasson I bought it was for the art. Darick Robertson draws a savage looking Logan. Saw the next four issues in Philly. Looks like it's gonna be pretty good. Don't give up on it yet.

Chris

I liked Darick Robertson art on Wolverine. He did a few Wolverine in the 50's (issue 57, 58??) in the first volume which I thought were very good. His style has changed a little. Logan looked a little funky in some panels I thought however. Anyway, otherall I liked it a lot. The story was good too.

Anyone know how the numbers/sales came out on this book. The stores seem to have lots of extra comics of this issue. Probably, overordered I am guessing.

Anyone know how the numbers/sales came out on this book. The stores seem to have lots of extra comics of this issue. Probably, overordered I am guessing.

I can't see this book pulling in many new readers, even though it is a number one issue it is basically just more of the same.

Also Wizard printed the whole issue in their mag a few months back, how can that be good for sales? confused.gif

Overall, I liked the art. I agree, though, that the proportioning of Logan was poor. He looked more troll-like than compact and muscular.

It's tough to nitpick, though, as this was the best issue of Wolverine I've read in quite a while.

I am kind of fond Darick Robertson. I met him when he got his first big break on New Warriors and was doing a few fill in issues on Wolverine. I thought his pencils were great. His detail got kind of lost in the inks. Anyway, I thought this kid had great potential and he was doing pencil sketches for $10 at the Wondercon convention. I got him to do a Wolverine Sketch and man did it look cool. It is great to see him Hit It Big as artist for Wolverine #1.

The new Wolverine #1 was the best selling book for last month, dethroning Batman as the top seller for the first time since Lee and Loeb took over.

Reading the entire issue in Wizard actually enticed me to buy the book. I liked what I saw/read, especially liked Robertson's art.

I gather that Marvel isn't happy with Wolverine's stumpy look... they've told Robertson to pretty him up for issue #5. Robertson has said that #5 is goint to be like the first episode of Bewitched with the second Darren...

Kev

Awesome, that is some feat to detrone Jim Lee's Batman. I also glad their trying to get Darick to not draw Wolverine so stumpy like (good word for it). He didn't draw him like that in the first series. I think it take some time for Darick to find his form. In most great runs, the artist makes changes as he experiments.

Sorry, Hawk. Only reasson I bought it was for the art. Darick Robertson draws a savage looking Logan. Saw the next four issues in Philly. Looks like it's gonna be pretty good. Don't give up on it yet.

Chris

Yeah, sure he makes him look gritty and savage...but the human proportions/anatomy are so POOR. His body has proportions more akin to Hank Hill's father on King of the Hill than those of a real upright human.

Drawing scowls, deep brow, and lots of body hair might make Wolvie seem "savage," but the basic body composition is just missing.

To be honest I thought the art was not that great on the issue. Hopefully it will be better in issue #5. Another comic I thought the art seems weird in is the new Spectacular Spider-man #1 that is coming out. Looks like all of Spider-mans joints are popped out of socket.

To be honest I thought the art was not that great on the issue. Hopefully it will be better in issue #5. Another comic I thought the art seems weird in is the new Spectacular Spider-man #1 that is coming out. Looks like all of Spider-mans joints are popped out of socket.

Yeah, that's the manga (Japanese for mangle) influence. Ramos' backgrounds are great, but the one inch thick ankles and pointy hunchback look on Spidey have to go. rantpost.gif