• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1

59 posts in this topic

Just fyi, it wasn't me that went for the batman

sumo.gif ok...that narrows it down to a few...sigh...i doubt if that person shows up...he reads the boards though...hello whoever you are...maybe you would like to post now since you bought the book?

devil.gif

sumo.gif ok...that narrows it down to a few...sigh...i doubt if that person shows up...he reads the boards though...hello whoever you are...maybe you would like to post now since you bought the book?

devil.gif

Don't worry, Benson. Batman #1 is THE MOST COMMON GA mega-key there is, by a mile. You will find another equally nice (or better) copy soon.

Nearmint, Rob I am not accusing anyone...I agree with nearmint that most likely its an anonymous lurker...only Steve knows the identity and I perfectly understand confidentiality between his customers...now if that lurker shows up... sumo.gif could be start of a mystery thread...

I know, I was just joining in the fun. That book was out of my price range. Everyone knows I'm broke after my latest acquisition of Batman #27, which I can't shut up about!

hail.gif I thought you said Detective #27 grin.gif

I was just perusing another dealer's website, and noticed a book listed that was no longer available - I know because I had already purchased it from the other party. He explained that the consignor hadn' t informed him of the sale, so that's why it was still listed.

I imagine this happens on occasion, and is just the nature of the beast.

Happens all the time. Just had it happen to me yesterday for two books on my site which someone asked about. Owner had sold them and had not notified me.

hello all...

drat!, oh well, the search continues...

rick

I know, I was just joining in the fun. That book was out of my price range. Everyone knows I'm broke after my latest acquisition of Batman #27, which I can't shut up about!

hail.gif I thought you said Detective #27 grin.gif

I wish! No, this is much less. Santa cover.

devil.gif

Don't worry, Benson. Batman #1 is THE MOST COMMON GA mega-key there is, by a mile. You will find another equally nice (or better) copy soon.

....and... Metro usually has more than 5 or 6 copies at all times!

I hope you find a better copy for similar price to make up for your bad luck on this venture.

thanks guys...Aman, as of now that's the only 4.5 raw in Metro's site. what makes it nice its been slabbed 4.5 before and just cracked...aside from that i really like the color and registration....anyway...its just a comicbook...its just a comicbook...its just a comicbook.

hello all...

I think a CGC slabbled 4.5 Bat 1 would sell in the $20-23K range (a 5.0 cgc just sold for $27K, and a 6.5 sold for $40K, both well above guide) based on my recent buying and selling of Bat 1's ...but remember, while CGC has been and is great for the industry, grading of books still remains subjective to a certain, maybe even large degree...I owned the book in question that I sold to Metro last month (which are some of the best group of folks out there, in my opinion!), and I had it with me raw in SD this year to submit to CGC for my customer that I procured the book for, and had some folks look at it pre CGC and say "4.5 maybe even 5.0", had others say "3.5", with many thinking "nice vg range" (I felt it was a 4.0-4.5 easy, but my customer wanted a 5.0, so when it did not get that grade from CGC, he had me sell it, just showing we all look at a book differently)....so, ultimately, buy a book (raw, graded, restored, whatever) if it meets "your" criteria (aesthetically pleasing to you, your willingness to pay the price, etc), and the rest will not matter if you are happy with the purchase...

rick

thats all true, but until such time we all go back to having our own subjective grading standards be the "last word" and as good as anyone eles's, the "actual" CGC grade for better or worse IS the accepted grade. One may crack it out in disagreement, but the buyer still wonders or wants to know what CGC thinks it is.

CGC may not always be the last word, but they sure are now.

hello all...

I think a CGC slabbled 4.5 Bat 1 would sell in the $20-23K range (a 5.0 cgc just sold for $27K, and a 6.5 sold for $40K, both well above guide) based on my recent buying and selling of Bat 1's ...but remember, while CGC has been and is great for the industry, grading of books still remains subjective to a certain, maybe even large degree...I owned the book in question that I sold to Metro last month (which are some of the best group of folks out there, in my opinion!), and I had it with me raw in SD this year to submit to CGC for my customer that I procured the book for, and had some folks look at it pre CGC and say "4.5 maybe even 5.0", had others say "3.5", with many thinking "nice vg range" (I felt it was a 4.0-4.5 easy, but my customer wanted a 5.0, so when it did not get that grade from CGC, he had me sell it, just showing we all look at a book differently)....so, ultimately, buy a book (raw, graded, restored, whatever) if it meets "your" criteria (aesthetically pleasing to you, your willingness to pay the price, etc), and the rest will not matter if you are happy with the purchase...

rick

Rick. An interesting story. Let's see if I understand it completely. You sold the book in July as a CGC VG to someone (probably Metro) for how much? Using your numbers a CGC VG should sell for $18,000-21000? However we know the book was offered by Metro for $17,000 (is that the correct price?). I assume they are not in the charity business so what kind of markup should we put on the book? Based on the pricing on their site would a $3000 markup be reasonable? Therefore, can we assume that Metro paid $14,000 for the book? Something tells me that you should have approached individuals on this site before unloading your burden?

Do I have my facts right?

thats all true, but until such time we all go back to having our own subjective grading standards be the "last word" and as good as anyone eles's, the "actual" CGC grade for better or worse IS the accepted grade. One may crack it out in disagreement, but the buyer still wonders or wants to know what CGC thinks it is.

CGC may not always be the last word, but they sure are now.

Aman, so true. In fact back in 1998 I was reading Overstreet about an article re: CGC. I read they would what! slabbed the comic and put a grading system like sportscards (w/c was my hobby before but that's another story insane.gif). I thought why would somebody slab a comic and not be able to read it. Ofcourse makepoint.gif CGC now makes alot of sense because of taking out the big part of subjectiveness and the restoration thingy. In fact its one of the reasons why I collect comics instead of sportscards now.

hello all...

rick

Rick. An interesting story. Let's see if I understand it completely. You sold the book in July as a CGC VG to someone (probably Metro) for how much? Using your numbers a CGC VG should sell for $18,000-21000? However we know the book was offered by Metro for $17,000 (is that the correct price?). I assume they are not in the charity business so what kind of markup should we put on the book? Based on the pricing on their site would a $3000 markup be reasonable? Therefore, can we assume that Metro paid $14,000 for the book? Something tells me that you should have approached individuals on this site before unloading your burden?

Do I have my facts right?

Rick sold it to Metro for $____? the book was offered at Metro for $17,000...and not a penny less 893naughty-thumb.gif $3,000 profit reasonable for Metro? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If Metro paid $14,000 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

interesting story indeed. popcorn.gif

hello all...

I do a lot of business with Metro (mostly buying), and the deal was good for both of us ...next time, if I have a book of interest that I procure that we don't need, I will be sure to offer to the list first, but Metro had a book I needed for a customer, and the bat 1 was available from my customer, so everyone was happy in the end....

I am more in the "buying" than selling mode now (working on a Bat run for a good customer, and putting a 'tec run together for myself) ,so while we sell a ton of new comics at deep discounts, we don't deal too much selling of GA books, and that is Metro's strong point, so I defer to them, but I will keep the group updated if I have extras to offer smile.gif

thanks

rick

hello all...

I do a lot of business with Metro (mostly buying), and the deal was good for both of us ...next time, if I have a book of interest that I procure that we don't need, I will be sure to offer to the list first, but Metro had a book I needed for a customer, and the bat 1 was available from my customer, so everyone was happy in the end....

I am more in the "buying" than selling mode now (working on a Bat run for a good customer, and putting a 'tec run together for myself) ,so while we sell a ton of new comics at deep discounts, we don't deal too much selling of GA books, and that is Metro's strong point, so I defer to them, but I will keep the group updated if I have extras to offer smile.gif

thanks

rick

Please do Rick Thanks! thumbsup2.gif