• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kind of OT but about Firefly

22 posts in this topic

This past week, I finished watching the all 14 episodes from the season DVD and I watched Serenity. All have to say is wow what a great underrated show. I really would love to see it come back. I feel like there so much potential for character and story growth. It's a real shame that there's not enough interest in the series to get a network to pick it up. Oh well. Here's to hoping.

Just to keep this somewhat comic related, Whedon wrote a comic mini series for the movie right? Was it any good?

I recently watched the entire run and movie on DVD.

It was okay, but I really didn't think it was great. Wooden acting, a pasty-faced Han Solo wannabe captain, cheesy romance and geek humor. Given what I had read about it, I really expected a lot better.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I recommend this film (Serenity) to everyone. I like it more than the new star wars films individually.

The series was also great, I have bought it for friends and they loved it, even a friends mom liked it! And even my girlfriend who hates sci-fi etc. loved it. She said 'it wasn't crappy sci-fi with aliens and wars like all the others' etc.

She liked it b/c it is funny, fun and like the wild west in space with great characters. Anyway, she hates star trek and star wars...happy that I found something she enjoyed.

she tells people about this scene when the crew rescued the brothel:

malcolm - we are going to help these people

jayne - no way, we don't know them, what did they do for us? no way, I'm out.

malcom - they're whores

jayne - I'm in

if you don't waste your money on moderns, why would you waste your money on a root canal?

I get a "family discount". grin.gif

Plus, who ever said I was poor - I'm just not stupid with my money and would never waste it on krappy Moderns.

I watched all the Firefly episodes one weekend when my wife was out of town. I was intending on having the show on in the background while getting work done but the show just sucked me in. It's a shame that Fox showed episodes out of order and played musical chairs with its timeslot. I'm glad the show found a nice following after its release and the movie was made. I wasn't as impressed with the movie, though. It just felt like a big episode with nice FX but a plot that took itself far too seriously with revelations that didn't come off as shocking as intended. Still, a great show. I never like Buffy but Firefly made me a Whedon fan.

-Staccato-speaking Bob

It was okay, but I really didn't think it was great. Wooden acting, a pasty-faced Han Solo wannabe captain, cheesy romance and geek humor. Given what I had read about it, I really expected a lot better.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I can totally understand that reaction. Whedon's writing and dialogue is truly an acquired taste. There have been moments for me watching any of his shows when I cringe because the dialogue is so painful. His shows have a tendancy to be almost too cute with the catchy phrases and the banter. That might explain the wooden acting -- I think the dialogue does a lot to mold the characters, and the actors have to work with the dialogue they are given.

This past week, I finished watching the all 14 episodes from the season DVD and I watched Serenity. All have to say is wow what a great underrated show. I really would love to see it come back. I feel like there so much potential for character and story growth. It's a real shame that there's not enough interest in the series to get a network to pick it up. Oh well. Here's to hoping.

Just to keep this somewhat comic related, Whedon wrote a comic mini series for the movie right? Was it any good?

He wrote a 3 issue mini leading up to the events of Serenity.

It was ok...nothin special other than the covers...Each issue had 3 covers, one for each character. Wasn't a true intro, but gave a bit of info on how they were doing between the end of the show and the movie.

confused-smiley-013.gif

hedon's writing and dialogue is truly an acquired taste. There have been moments for me watching any of his shows when I cringe because the dialogue is so painful. His shows have a tendancy to be almost too cute with the catchy phrases and the banter.

You nailed it.

The constant "we are so witty and we know it" banter annoys me.

I was recently watching Sports Night on DVD and it suffers from the same self-aware, machine gun witty banter. That kind of dialog is great in small doses, but it gets overbearing in larger doses, and you can't help but feel that the writers are just trying to show the world how clever they are.

Yeah I wasn't so hot for the wittiness at first, but as I grew to love the characters (an honestly it's all about characters with this show) I began to actually think some of teh jokes were good because they were very fitting for those characters.

Speaking of characters, the alliance assasin had to be one of the coolest characters I've seen in a while. This is what got me hooked on the movie and eventually forced me to watch the Firefly DVD's.

So I guess you could say I'm a very recent convert.

confused-smiley-013.gif

hedon's writing and dialogue is truly an acquired taste. There have been moments for me watching any of his shows when I cringe because the dialogue is so painful. His shows have a tendancy to be almost too cute with the catchy phrases and the banter.

You nailed it.

The constant "we are so witty and we know it" banter annoys me.

I was recently watching Sports Night on DVD and it suffers from the same self-aware, machine gun witty banter. That kind of dialog is great in small doses, but it gets overbearing in larger doses, and you can't help but feel that the writers are just trying to show the world how clever they are.

And it is especially bad with Firefly because Whedon was attempting to create a language of the "future" combining Chinese with English and messing with grammar. But as jshedosky said, it is all about the characters. If you cannot get into them, Whedon's shows are probably not for you. But at least you gave it a try, eh?

On a similar note, Battlestar Galactica season 3 is starting in a few weeks. There will be "webisodes" about the resistance twice a week until then.

Here's a link:

Battlestar Galactica webisodes

ooo....the webisodes...i'd forgotten about them...they'd been delayed for so long.