• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ultimate CGC Game !!!

72 posts in this topic

Hello to all, this is your friendly neighbourhood fiend again with another enlightening post. tongue.gif Today, while passing time at work in an almost veggitative state, i heard a little gerbil begin to turn the wheel that is my brain. At first i had no idea what this odd feeling was...then it hit me, about an hour later. It was a thought, an idea, a breakthrough in modern stupidity. I had just thought up the most ridiculous game in all the world....and i decided i had to share it with all of you here.

First things first. A Moderator for this game must be chosen. It cannot be a CGC staff member (for reasons youll learn later) Id suggest someone who has been on these boards for quite some time and is very well respected. Next, have the moderator select a date for the start of this contest....say in 2 months time. Now, a thread should be started for everyone who is willing to participate in this game, to sign up on. A simple YES will suffice as a reply.

On to the next part. On the date of the start of the game the moderator will announce a comic book title and issue number. The book will be ANY comic book published by DC or Marvel comics (to keep it mainstream) published after 1975. Any comic book is allowed, however, do to the nature of this game, a cheaper, non-key book is recommended.

Now, for the main part of the game. As a player, your job is to go out and find the "best" copy of the book announced by the moderator. Whether it is currently part of your collection, or you must purchase it, the copy must be Non-CGC'd. Your task is to send it in to CGC yourself for grading. (the reason i had suggested a cheaper book before is to keep anyone from purchasing a currently high grade CGC book and resubmitting it. The cost would be just way to high for this game, plus it may not recieve that same grade as we have all come to realize.)

Once the moderator starts the contest, a closing date of say 4-6 months should be suggested and decided upon. That should be sufficent time for everyone to find, submit, and have the comic returned to them. Now once your book has been returned you MUST post a clear picture of the book AND grade, as well as a CLOSEUP of the serial number. Since this forum is on the CGC website and we have many of their staff as forum members, it is a factor that can help us keep this game legitimate. That is the reason i suggest providing pics of serial numbers, so that the staff members can look up all the submitted numbers and ensure that the particular book in question was sent in for grading between the date of the contest and is not a book graded years ago that someone just bought.

Ok, now on to the second step. Once all the grades have been recieved and posted on a moderator started thread by the deadline, a winner shall be chosen. HOWEVER.......the game aint over yet. Since this game may entail many board members odds are that we may have a tie......or a many person tie. (ex: 15 ppl with 9.8s') NOW, on to the most absurd part of this game. If only a single person has the best book, he wins alone, and if 15 ppl win then they all move on to the next round......however the losers, theyre in trouble. EVERYONE who did not win the game OR move on to the next round must CRACK OPEN THE CASE OF THEIR SUBMITTED BOOK. Again, a clear picture of the opened case AND a pic of the label ripped in half (still visible) must be taken and sent to another post started by the moderator for the losers in order to prove they are following the rules.

In the most likely scenario that the game is a tie, all the remaining players will start the game afresh, following the same rules as before. The moderator will choose another comic and the next game will begin. The field of competion will obviously be reduced, increasing your odds. The game will be played until a new deadline where a winner or another multi-player tie is decided upon. This cycle will continue until there is only one remaining forum member.

There is another catch though. This game may go on for months if not a year before a winner appears. It may go 5 or 6 rounds for all we know. Those members who make it to the second round and lose, not only have to break open the case of their current submission, but also for the case from the first round. And so on. So in reality, lets say you make it to a 5th or 6th round before you lose. You now MUST destroy every previous submission you went on to the next round with and send in pictures as proof of destruction.

Now, i know by now many of you think im nuts for suggesting a game such as this, but if you really think about it, it could be a fantastic event. In the end there will be no prizes given out, no free submissions allowed or anything of the sort. All youll have is the knowledge that you have the best, if not 4 or 5 of the best comic books among your fellow board members. It is definetely an expensive, if not heartbreaking game for all those who do not win, but the purpose of this game is not neccesarily the title but the chase involved in the game. And in order to keep the game legitimate and honest anyone who does not destroy a case and send in a pic if they lose will be banned from entering any future games. So, fellow forum members, i present to you my idea. I call it the ULTIMATE CGC FORUM GAME. If there are those of you out there who thinks this may be a fresh, fun opportunity in this forum speak up and give me your opinion. If anyone feels that this is a moronic idea to begin with, let me hear your opinions too. Just thought id share.

"In the end there can be only ONE" - Highlander.

Whoa!!! He lost you after "Hello to all", Jonny D. I didn't make it past "Hello"!! Sounds like the rules to Austrailian Football!!!

LMFAO Blacky........It took me a while to figure out what your avatar was. I had to wait until after the initial shock and perception of what it was wore off. 27_laughing.gif

If it's all for fun, what's with this bit about cracking the cases to wreck your previous submissions? I see no enhancements, and only detriments, in doing that.

If it's all for fun, it's ALL for fun, and we just compete for the best grade and everyone happily keeps their losing comics.

Also, can third-party submissions be considered? No way I'm gonna play a game with CGC fees when I can play for $7.95 a book instead.

I've got a better idea for this game. First, everyone who wants to participate must gather up every book they have in their collection and load it into their car (or truck, depending on how many books you have). Then, you must drive your collection at least 3 states away from where they are currently being stored. Once you arrive, you then build a stone temple in the shape of a pyramid. This temple must have a base that is exactly 9 square feet, and it must be precisely 9 feet tall at the point. You must then park your vehicle precisely 3 miles away from this temple and then make your way back to it while crawling on your hands and knees. Then, climb to the top of the temple, punch yourself in the nuts, and scream as loudly as you can, "I'm a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point for playing this game". Once you have accomplished this feat, walk back to your vehicle, drive back home, and put your comic collection back where it belongs. The first one to do this and come in here and post pictures of it, is declared a pathetic loser. The others must then drive back to their stone temple pyramid, destroy it, and take pictures to post for proof of its destruction. In the event of a tie where two or more people accomplish this feat and post their proof at the same time, then they must all drive 4 states away for round two and do the same thing. If, again, there is a tie, then those remaining will have to drive 5 states away for the third round, and so on. Good luck to all.

Hmmm, lose the part about cracking open the case, charge $1 to play, the winner gets the $$ to offset the cost of slabbing, insurance and postage and with some luck put a few bucks in the bank (or back into the market), in the event of a tie randomly pick a subset of the non winners to pick "The Winnah!" based on the best (before/after?) scan/pic the tied folks can submit

I'd sign up for something like that. Although I'd have almost no chance to win it might be fun and almost certainly better odds than playing powerball ...

dave h

I've got a better idea for this game. First, everyone who wants to participate must gather up every book they have in their collection and load it into their car (or truck, depending on how many books you have). Then, you must drive your collection at least 3 states away from where they are currently being stored. Once you arrive, you then build a stone temple in the shape of a pyramid. This temple must have a base that is exactly 9 square feet, and it must be precisely 9 feet tall at the point. You must then park your vehicle precisely 3 miles away from this temple and then make your way back to it while crawling on your hands and knees. Then, climb to the top of the temple and scream as loudly as you can, "I'm a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point for playing this game". Once you have accomplished this feat, walk back to your vehicle, drive back home, and put your comic collection back where it belongs. The first one to do this and come in here and post pictures of it, is declared a pathetic loser. The others must then drive back to their stone temple pyramid, destroy it, and take pictures to post for proof of its destruction. In the event of a tie where two or more people accomplish this feat and post their proof at the same time, then they must all drive 4 states away for round two and do the same thing. If, again, there is a tie, then those remaining will have to drive 5 states away for the third round, and so on. Good luck to all.

ROFLMAO! Damn, Bug! You are JC! 27_laughing.gif

Chris