• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Dr. Fate *spoilers*

11 posts in this topic

Any opinions on Ralph Dibny as the new Dr. Fate? I'm with many of the changes made in 52 so far, but this one just seems wrong. Perhaps more wrong that Hal Jordan as the Spectre.

Why?

Dibny is a light-hearted detective. He deals in the rational and the deductive. Dr. Fate is all about the supernatural and mysterious. Oil and water here.

I suspect this is all to give Dibny powers so he can bring Sue back to life. Do I see a multi-part cross-over spectacular coming up?

I'm hoping they don't go there. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Remember, Ralph's not the most stable critter as portrayed in 52. We don't know if he just *thinks* Fate's helmet is speaking to him, and we never saw him put it on.

Actually, I toyed around with an idea. Suppose, Plasticman had been chosen(albeit briefly) as the Spectre. You could say you outlook changes when someone kills you or someone near to you. Which is the case with Ralph. Characters like Ralph and Plas don't hold up well in the long run without a serious rework. I think, Ted Kord as the New Fate would make an interesting combination. You could have several story arcs alone dealing with the Technological perspective vs Magic. Just a thought anyway.

I for one hope DC "fixes" things in the DCU that I think are wrong.

The 2 main for me is

1-- Corrigan as the Spectre

2-- Nelson as Dr. Fate

I want my old school Spectre and Fate

Any opinions on Ralph Dibny as the new Dr. Fate? I'm with many of the changes made in 52 so far, but this one just seems wrong. Perhaps more wrong that Hal Jordan as the Spectre.

Why?

Dibny is a light-hearted detective. He deals in the rational and the deductive. Dr. Fate is all about the supernatural and mysterious. Oil and water here.

I suspect this is all to give Dibny powers so he can bring Sue back to life. Do I see a multi-part cross-over spectacular coming up?

I'm guessing that Sue will be the New Dr. Fate...Ralph is included in this storyline as a method to tie it all together.

My future expected cross-over will be the new Dr. Fate(sue) versus the new Eclipso, aka, the gal who killed Sue in the first place(there's your mystical matchup)....potential plotlines would be of interest in such a meeting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why?

I'm guessing that Sue will be the New Dr. Fate...Ralph is included in this storyline as a method to tie it all together.

My future expected cross-over will be the new Dr. Fate(sue) versus the new Eclipso, aka, the gal who killed Sue in the first place(there's your mystical matchup)....potential plotlines would be of interest in such a meeting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

they did the fem Fate back in 90s...didn't sit well with me then...doubt i'd like it now.

maybe i'm just too old school, but for me Fate is one of the characters that should always be a man.

you've got a logical thought there though. can see them going that route.

Why?

they did the fem Fate back in 90s...didn't sit well with me then...doubt i'd like it now.

maybe i'm just too old school, but for me Fate is one of the characters that should always be a man.

you've got a logical thought there though. can see them going that route.

that helmet just doesn't look right on a lady's body, does it?

that helmet just doesn't look right on a lady's body, does it?

Okay, I'll bite...does any helmet look right on a woman's body????

Do Roller Derby helmets count?

Either Ralph or Sue will meet the requirement for an Eclipso match-up, but I'd have more trouble with a stretchy Fate than a lady Fate...plus I haven't been tainted by the earlier female Fate as I never read a single issue of that run.

Why?

I could see Sue as the new Dr. Fate also. I also see it as not having a lasting duration. They'll switch the helmet to someone else within five years if a Dibny becomes Fate.

As far as the Spectre goes, I'm content with the new one. Hal as Spectre didn't work. He's Green Lantern. Period.