• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One Well Traveled Gorilla!

153 posts in this topic

I learn something every day. I was looking over Pep 39 and the splash page for Bentley of Scotland Yard stopped me in my tracks as it obviously was also the same image as the cover to Liberty 12. I never knew that. Here they are side-by-side -

1423630-Liberty-Pep-Combo.jpg

Where's the gorilla? stooges.gif

Good catch! thumbsup2.gif

Cool catch

...what's the difference in distribution dates?

Shield pointed out - with illustrations - in a long buried thread that many of the Liberty & Roly Poly covers were taken from earlier interior splashes, especially Bentley of Scotland Yard, including the infamous decap cover on Roly Poly #14.

Not a gorilla of course but this is the first time I catch a glimpse of Captain Dash and his costume design is very similar to some we saw in the 90's. Goes to show nothing is new under the sun. Plus he looks like a serious bad- 893censored-thumb.gif character -

1474394-ComedyComics9-CaptainDash.jpg

1474394-ComedyComics9-CaptainDash.jpg.1db227cc7a8980fea9e99c72e1343149.jpg

According to the eBay auction I lifted the picture from, it's Comedy Comics # 9 (first issue), the one with the awesome Everett Fin splash.

Ah, I thought it had that oddball (in a Daring Mystery, Mystic, Comedy Comics sort of way) Timely feel to it.

STEVE

So you think those two cops are related?

Good eye as usual, Scrooge!

Related but not identical -- one's a lefty and the other a righty.

They're enantiomers! (mirror image isomers)

At the very least they both have weird wrists!

Maybe they're both related to that gorilla in the subject line.

Jack

1477144-Coincidence-PerfectCrime-Detective.jpg

Very nice, Scrooge. And, what, pray tell, is the story behind this spread?

Very nice, Scrooge. And, what, pray tell, is the story behind this spread?

What's strange is that there is no story. It's simply a random centerfold (I believe) in the issue! It's very much in Caniff's Male Call / Miss Lace style though -

1613595-MaleCall10-10-1943.jpg

1613595-MaleCall10-15-1944.jpg

Later on, the editors are asking military men to send in their jokes to be illustrated / put in a letter col (?). I'll put together that ad tomorrow (scans on another computer).

1613595-MaleCall10-15-1944.jpg.4e2e3b9e3dcbd8cea938918b0c59de77.jpg