• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Central Valley Collection

82 posts in this topic

... there was a thread in the General Forum where several people made allegations about the Central Valley books due to them being listed on the Comicpedigree site. Matt Nelson came on and directly refuted those allegations.

What's a General Forum? There was one? confused-smiley-013.gif

And here they are after gaining freedom:

100_1509.jpg

100_1511.jpg

STEVE

Steve;

That issue #13 certainly looks sharper from a colour uniformity quality point of view.

What's the major flaw knocking it all the way down to a 7.5 condition grade since I really can't see it from just the scan?

Steve;

That issue #13 certainly looks sharper from a colour uniformity quality point of view.

What's the major flaw knocking it all the way down to a 7.5 condition grade since I really can't see it from just the scan?

Our thoughts exactly, lou - there's a 2/3" unobtrusive cover tear on the boat in the right hand corner (it's hard to see but is just between the lines below the rope).

I'll take books like this all day long smile.gif

STEVE

Two quick observations:

1) CGC did a very good job evaluating these two books, especially considering how well they both present. Page quality is not an issue with the Central Valleys, of course.

2) The Central Valleys are just amazing - my friend who was with me yesterday, and who is a long-time serious collector, was just blown away on how bright, fresh, and white these comics are.

I'm very much looking forward to the Pedigree book now being compiled (by Timely/Ritter/Haspel/Nelson), and I predict the Central Valleys...book-for-book...will score in the upper tier of the pedigree ranks.

STEVE

I've show the CV Superman 7 to a few seasoned collectors, and I've rec'd the same comment: surprise at the colors and white page quality as this particular issue is supposedly prone to poor paper. Is this other's experience?

STEVE

I was in his store about a month ago, and he showed me a few Tec's left from the collection...can't recall the exact numbers...but a few in the late # 40s and early #50s..beautiful copies.

Are you in the Sacramento area, Primetime? Or just passing through?

I stopped in the A-1 comics store in Sacramento last September while

out in Cali visiting family. Brian showed me some of the impressive Central

Valley Batmans. I highly recommend checking out the store if you are in

the area. It is clean, well lit, nice inventory and has its own pedigree. :-)

I wish it was my LCS.

Steve, thats a great looking Superman #13 you got there! You were at the San Diego Comic Con a few years ago when I asked for your opinion on a Superman #13 CGC 8.5 that I was debating whether or not to buy it from Heroes and Dragons. I wound up buying it thanks in part to you! The colors of your Superman # 13 sure are vibrant! I would sure like to know how this collection was stored. How could the pages stay so white when the Central Valley has some of the warmest and humid temperatures in the summertime! The last time I spent the summer in the Central Valley this past July the temperature reached a scorching 112! You got some awesome books there Steve! Thanks for sharing them and its nice to see a fellow seasoned southern Californian collector on these boards! Erik

EJR raises an interesting question. How do books from pedigrees in the heat keep such nice pages? Carson City is another example.

Steve, thats a great looking Superman #13 you got there! You were at the San Diego Comic Con a few years ago when I asked for your opinion on a Superman #13 CGC 8.5 that I was debating whether or not to buy it from Heroes and Dragons. I wound up buying it thanks in part to you! The colors of your Superman # 13 sure are vibrant! I would sure like to know how this collection was stored. How could the pages stay so white when the Central Valley has some of the warmest and humid temperatures in the summertime! The last time I spent the summer in the Central Valley this past July the temperature reached a scorching 112! You got some awesome books there Steve! Thanks for sharing them and its nice to see a fellow seasoned southern Californian collector on these boards! Erik

Hey Erik, good to hear from you. Yes, I sorta remember that Supe 13 - probably planted the seed in my mind to get one some day! You have a good eye for nice books, so I'm sure it's a welcome addition to your collection.

I have no other info on the Central Valley books - perhaps I'll get some more details from Brian in WonderCon or San Diego...see you there!

STEVE