• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding good modern OA at reasonable prices

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the hobby and as such pretty ignorant about how folks go about getting good pages of OA from moderns without selling their car to do it. Do you contact the artist directly, I tried that with Pia Guerra (Y: The last Man). She was very gracious but also unable to help because she says she is not putting pages on the market right - yet I've seen her work in ComicArtFans so people do have access. I've also spoken to DMZ artist Brian Wood and have been trying to find a nice page for Ex-Machina.

Is it better to go the artist directly or work with a dealer or what. Is there a web site that shows who represents which artists? Googling works but its kind of time sink.

Thanks,

Richard

I can't speak for the 2 books you mentioned, but I'm sure the collectors your talking about will have some valuable info popcorn.gif

You can try www.DRAGONBERRY.com to see if the artists have thier own website. Thier is also a thread of OA dealers around here someplace I will try to find and bump up.

#1 though, nothing beats talking to an artist at a show and being able to go through the stack of pages they have in frnt of them.

-Mike

edit - No need to bump the dealer list, it's pinned HERE ! ! foreheadslap.gif

For easiest access to Y The Last Man pages, you'll want to get in touch with the inker, Jose Marzan Jr. Just sent you an email with his addy. Also sent you Sprouse's rep's info. (Jim at Distinctive Original Art) For EM pages proper, the most reliable thing to do is get in touch with Spencer Beck at The Artist's Choice. He is Tony's rep. Or better yet, see Tony at a con. You might also want to try Tom Feister, (EM inker) whose contact info I sent you as well.

HAPPY HUNTING TO ALL!!

J

I concur. If u want to save $$, try to buy art pages from the inker of your favorite series. U may save 1/2 compared to buying direct from the artist. The artist will probably be glad to sign your page regardless if u meet him/her at a regional comicon.

Pia Guerara (sp?) lives in my Vancouver area & she usually does not sell her Y pages at the local comicon. She may bring pencil prelims for display to Seattle, WA too, but I usually don't buy rough prelims. angel.gif

Just thought I'd give props to Jesusjon, who's consistently forthcoming and willing to share leads, emails and other contact information leading to sweet pages, as he's done in this thread!

On another note, let me introduce myself -- been collecting for about six or seven months and while I've not posted on this board until now (and only a handful of times on the L), I've been following it carefully. Thought it was time I came out of the woodwork. I'm a Vertigo guy, and love to get my grubby hands on Sandman art. If you've got good stuff, let me know.

Be speaking to you!

S.

Just thought I'd give props to Jesusjon, who's consistently forthcoming and willing to share leads, emails and other contact information leading to sweet pages, as he's done in this thread!

On another note, let me introduce myself -- been collecting for about six or seven months and while I've not posted on this board until now (and only a handful of times on the L), I've been following it carefully. Thought it was time I came out of the woodwork. I'm a Vertigo guy, and love to get my grubby hands on Sandman art. If you've got good stuff, let me know.

Be speaking to you!

S.

Amen to JesusJon

If he hadnt uttered the words Red Son in another thread I never would have realized my grail peice was up for sale by someone and picked it up

Amen to JesusJon

If he hadnt uttered the words Red Son in another thread I never would have realized my grail peice was up for sale by someone and picked it up

Dude -- that is awesome. Glad that worked out for you. It's a fantastic page, for a very reasonable price. Everyone came out a winner on that one!!

I concur, Jesusjon is definitely one of the good guys in the hobby. I've had several great deals with him. A great collector to chat about the hobby with, too.

While I'm at it, let me also give props to Comicartfan (Michael) and Solar (Brett) who both went above and beyond the call of duty to seek out art for me at East Coast conventions I couldn't make it to. Thanks fellas, I'll return the favor on the West Coast!