• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Any info on San Francisco

86 posts in this topic

Before dining, there must be touristing:

Must go to the top of Twin Peaks, and cop the amazing 360 degree panorama of the city and entire SF Bay area.

Must go to Golden Gate park, and check out the Conservatory.

Must go see Steve McQueen in Bullitt to get psyched up for your trip!

Try "Greens" in the Fort Mason complex. It is classic SF... a zen budhist vegetarian restaurant (and no, we're not talking birkenstocks) in the Marina district (that is the absolute northernmost part of the SF Peninsula). You are right on the water looking out at the Golden Gate with, depending on the season, sea lions hanging out on the docks below you.

Definitely a nice lunch spot if staying in the city confines...

Hope you guys don't think I've been ignoring you. Just got in from a nights work and read through all the tips. I appreciate it greatly and will share the experience with you guys when I get back. My list of things to do/food to eat has grown by leaps and bounds thanks to you guys. Hope I can fit half of it into 5 days. Thanks again-John

Hope you guys don't think I've been ignoring you. Just got in from a nights work and read through all the tips. I appreciate it greatly and will share the experience with you guys when I get back. My list of things to do/food to eat has grown by leaps and bounds thanks to you guys. Hope I can fit half of it into 5 days. Thanks again-John

John,

As you can tell, the SF forumites LOVE good food, although it doesn't have to be expensive. There's also great Mexican, Persian, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, and of course, Chinese good. cloud9.gif

If you like dungeoness crabs, I'd definitely recommend Crustacean...a little pricey, but worth it. Warning: definitely not heart smart. tongue.gif

It's usually a 7-month season... and it varies from location to location.

You can pick up live crabs at Ranch 99 for $4.99 a pound... $3.99 in Chinatown sometimes..

Maine Lobsters are $10.99 a pound. (Picked up a couple of 4 pound lobsters earlier this week... Wanted smaller ones generally.. but those were the smallest they had.)

do yourself a favour and tgo up to St. Helena - just about a half hour (?) north of Napa and try the Merryvale winery. you will NOT be disappointed

acclaim.gif

Then when you're done at Merryvale, grab an ahi tuna burger at Taylor's Refresher across the street. After lunch, drive three more blocks north on Main Street, turn left on Madrona Avenue, then go three more blocks and turn right on Spring Mountain Road and drive up the hill about 20 minutes to Pride Mountain Vineyards and Barnett Vineyards for some amazing tasting experiences up on Spring Mountain! cloud9.gif

(Make an appointment at Pride and Barnett two weeks in advance though. poke2.gif)

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif You gotta do Spring Mountain. Went there on Scott's advice. I thought the best tasting wines were there.

For dinner (in Napa), you might try Angele

It's a French restaurant with a nice atmosphere. Pricey, but not Fluer pricey. The food is very good. Sit out in the terrace.

And, make sure you do Muir Woods. One of the coolest places I've ever seen. 893applaud-thumb.gif

And, make sure you do Muir Woods. One of the coolest places I've ever seen. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Muir-Schmuir - I've got redwoods that big in my back yard . . . poke2.gif

Seriously, if you go to Muir Woods, go before 10:00 in the morning or after 5:00 - you won't be sorry. grin.gif

Thanks for mentioning me guys.

John, if you're interested in military stuff you can squeeze in a quick trip to Fisherman's Wharf just to see the USS Darter (submarine) and USS Jeremiah O'Brien (liberty ship). I visited them both last month. For a big deal, the USS Hornet (aircraft carrier) is across the bay in Alameda.

Marc

Really? No offense, but that is the worst tourist trap in town. frown.gif We'll have to get you some new options.

My first stop when I'm in SF (about every 5 yrs) is Alioto's down at Fisherman's wharf.

Alioto1.jpg

aliotosdayweb.jpg

Alioto2.jpg

BTW - has anyone else ever been to Lotus Garden? It was a Kosher vegetarian Chinese restaurant I went to my first time in town (1997). I just tried to look it up and it closed. frown.gif

Really? No offense, but that is the worst tourist trap in town. frown.gif We'll have to get you some new options.

I'm a tourist. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's no reason to eat overpriced bad food. gossip.gif

And what would you suggest?

What kind of cuisine do you want? Seafood?

Swan Oyster Depot is a great, casual place that has the best seafood salad in town. It is a very casual atmosphere (old school SF deli counter decor), but the seafood is unreal and they even have a great wine list, although you'd never know it if you look into the place from the sidewalk. Order the seafood salad and ask for the special house mustard vinaigrette dressing. cloud9.gif Pesce in Russian Hill is also a great choice.

If you want super upscale seafood, Aqua is the place to go.

If you absolutely have to eat in Fisherman's Wharf, eat at Scoma's or at McCormick & Kuleto's.

If you absolutely have to eat in Fisherman's Wharf, eat at Scoma's or at McCormick & Kuleto's.

When my brother and his wife were in town, they didn't know any better and managed to pick Scoma's. Not too bad (compared to what passes for seafood in Wisconsin), but not up to snuff for some of the better eateries in the area.

When my brother and his wife were in town, they didn't know any better and managed to pick Scoma's. Not too bad (compared to what passes for seafood in Wisconsin), but not up to snuff for some of the better eateries in the area.

That's pretty much right on the mark. If you have to eat seafood in Fisherman's Wharf, those are two places that are OK. But there are many, many restaurants outside of that neighborhood that are a lot better. The only place where I like to eat in the Fisherman's Wharf area (not counting Gary Danko because it's sort of on the border between the Wharf and Russian Hill) is Ana Mandara in Ghirardelli Square. That's Don Johnson's restaurant. Good upscale Vietnamese fare (not as great as the food at the Slanted Door, but good), and the decor is stunning. Nice wine list too. My wife and I had dinner there with Brent Moeshlin and Steve Borock the night after Wondercon this year.

Does anyone know if there are any poster shops or warehouses full of Chinese movie posters from the 70s in the San Fran area? e.g. Shaw Brothers One-Armed Swordsman or Golden Harvest trashy kung fu films with some English text. More paper memorabilila for me to collect. acclaim.gif