• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you read comic books in public places?

Do you read comics in public?  

645 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read comics in public?

109 posts in this topic

Just curious about this. Here in New York City, I pretty rarely see anyone reading a comic book on the subway or in other public places, which always strikes me as kind of a shame and a disappointing symptom of the shrinking of the industry in general. But when I think about it, I almost never do it either...I pretty rarely read comics anywhere outside of home or the office.

There's the infamous stigma of comic reading which clearly must play some part in reducing comics' visibility...plus for us diehards, preserving the condition of books is a big concern as well, even more than it used to be (I collect GA/SA books pretty much exclusively, so I can't exactly read those on the train).

So I thought it would be an interesting question to pose to a board of obviously hardcore comic collectors. Do you read or show your books in public? I'll make it a poll (hey, my first!) but would love to hear further thoughts/comments on this.

Just noticed this old thread (2006) and thought I'd give it a nudge. :)

I read modern comics on my commute all the time now. Funny that it was such a novelty for me back then.

I swear too that I've seen more people on the trains reading comics in recent years... generally mainstream fare like new DC New52 and Marvel titles, Watchmen TPBs and the like. Still not a ton of people, but IMO more now than seven years ago.

If you go to my nearest lcs on wednesdays around noon there's always at least 3 guys sitting in their running cars, wearing suits and ties, hammering their lunch and reading comics...cracks me up every time!

I have a marvel comics unlimited subscription so I read a lot of comics on my IPad. I used to take a bus to work and read it daily to and from. Anywhere I take my I pad and have time to kill I will surf the Internet or read comics. A lot of conversation have been started this way.

I read on my ipad when travelling in airports, or even sitting in the park on a sunny day. I feel like ive also noticed more people reading comics in public places as I get older. When flying to south carolina for the 4th of july with my girlfriends family, the guy across the isle from me was reading hickmans nightly news. When he glanced over at me, I held up my ipad with morrisons batman epic on it and gave him a "thumbs up", dude smiled, pulled up his shirt sleeve and flashed a robin tatoo on his forearm.

We're taking over.

Most of the times I would read comics in public places - like on bus or transit train or on plane. Usually it'd be a tradeback, a volume or cheap comics which I don't worry about the condition. I can't do that to my own collection in public! I prefer do my reading on a table and take my time at home with my new comics.

When I was a boy in school - I would bring a few Archies, DC or Marvel comics in my backpack. Sometimes my teacher caught me "sneak-reading" inside my subject book lol ... hey! Even some classes can be boring, and the desire to know what happen next to Wolverine in the next chapter was too much for a 10-years old boy to wait.

Now I still do my reading and if people look at me weird, that's their loss. :sumo:

I'm a geek at heart.