• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you read comic books in public places?

Do you read comics in public?  

645 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read comics in public?

109 posts in this topic

i have read in the doctors office, the dentist, bristol motor speedway, restaurants, and anywhere i go, i buy my comics to read, and i read them alot, all 12,000 or so, i got 35 long boxes, but i dont have an actuall tally.

I don't read them in public, but it's not because of I'm worried about a stigma or anyone else's perception. I can care less what other people think.

It's more because it's a hassle. Before I read my comics I make sure my hands are clean and I'm in a reading them and handling them carefully. Maintaining the same amount of care while dragging them to a public place would be too cumbersome.

ill read TPBs or new release issues in public. never any silver or golds though.

Yep, forgot about the trades. My last flight was coast to coast and I burned through a couple Walking Dead paperbacks on the plane. Boy did it shorten my plane ride! It also struck up a conversation with the guy next to me. I hate long waits so I always try to find distractions. iPhones are great for that.

Hell, I don't even tell people I collect them. Mind you I'm in my 40's so I've always felt there was a stigma attached to them. But keep in mind also that I am a major collector of militaria and I tell no one that I have a U-boat officers hat either due to the nazi stigma but I bet their mouth would drop if i told them it's worth roughly 5-6k

I'll bring along an Essential volume on an airplane if I have to travel for business or if I'm going with my wife or mom to the Doctor's office.

I'm a grown man, so who's to tell me I can't. I read them in the local Exchange on base on the rack, and from time to time on the train if I have one. The stigma for comics/manga here in Japan is quite different though, as it is not out of the norm to see high school girls and 60 year old businessmen flipping through a manga on the train. Back when I was a recruiter I would read them durring my lunch breaks at local restaurants or wherever I had dead time to kill. If people don't like it, then screw em'

Just seen this thread :o

I sure do - I would proudly read my GN in trains and tubes on the way to work. :acclaim:

Yes, I read in the tram on my way to work. In my part of the world this is very unusual sight. The older passangers look at me as I am somebody out of place, the younger ones very often ask me about comics and how they could find some :juggle: