• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why so many bent covers in the cgc cased comics?

43 posts in this topic

Out of 3 cgc comics I got in the mail 1 had a tiny rip in the side and it was bent over. The 2nd one had kind of a small crushed look on the right side cover and I was wondering how they could have missed it or why not bend the fold back in place before sealing it. I have a couple more with tiny dog ears and was wondering if this was a problem? they are lower grades but it is still kind of annoying

SCS (Shaken Comic Syndrome) is a term used to describe what happens to a comic that is damaged inside a sealed innerwell, like CGC's when it is damaged post slabbing.

It has hard edged blunt walls that cause damage when the comic inside it is slammed against it. Be it through rough handling during shipping, or falling on the floor, or shaking it really hard..(like I did) Older books with severe overhang are very susceptible to this type of damage. CGC does not as a policy really mess with the comic at time of slabbing. Bending and unbending a book. Most times the damage you see is post slabbing.

And is most easily seen in HG books because they do not have many flaws. So when it IS damaged in this SCS manner it sticks out like a beacon.

Hope this info helps. Ask as many questions as you want. We were all new once, you will learn if you stick around. And in time you will see new people come here and ask the exact question you did. Then you will know you are no longer new.

BTW, sorry to hear about the damage to your books.

Ze-

There have been many thread's on this in the past few years. Use the search function you find at the top of the screen and type in " SCS " And older then 1 year.

IFSCSA.jpg

Yikes, I didn't realize that this was so prevalent?! I've gotten a couple myself, not that bad though. Looks like good 'ol Iron Fist #14 perhaps? What is the actual CGC grade on that one, please?

I expect were all curious now... confused.gif

Was a 9.2

Out of 3 cgc comics I got in the mail 1 had a tiny rip in the side and it was bent over. The 2nd one had kind of a small crushed look on the right side cover and I was wondering how they could have missed it or why not bend the fold back in place before sealing it. I have a couple more with tiny dog ears and was wondering if this was a problem? they are lower grades but it is still kind of annoying
Here's a link to a thread about SCS

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1254812&page=0&vc=1