• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

double action comics #1
3 3

153 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting this Mark!!! That cinches it, the one in the picture I took of Mallette and Matt in my store is indeed yours. Congratulations on having such a storied book!

Thanks Bill, though I am more impressed that Gary has TWO COPIES!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Nonsense, yours has a much cooler pedigree.

Thanks for posting this Mark!!! That cinches it, the one in the picture I took of Mallette and Matt in my store is indeed yours. Congratulations on having such a storied book!

Thanks Bill, though I am more impressed that Gary has TWO COPIES!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Hah, to you Moondog I say poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

Hah, to you Moondog I say poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

It's okay, Gary knows....

Cooler pedigree...hmmm...let's see...Sol Harrison, who was an office boy at DC in the mid-1930s...rises through the ranks to become president of the company...who may have actually been the person to hand-staple these rarities...is the source of my copies.

Jack Mallette < Bill Thailing < Stephern Browne...

Not bad company but certainly NOT the provenance of a Sol Harrison.

Ah, the trash-talking collectors can get into!

flowerred.gif

makepoint.gif

What I find interesting in that 20-year-old CBG story is the speculation that Jack and I spouted about the ashcans we had. We really didn't know what/why/when/who and tried to fill in the blanks. But I will tell you this: other than opening the envelope containing the first Windy City # 1's...nothing has ever been as exciting or awe-inspiring as the first time I held those 6 books.

When I brought them home and explained to my wife that I had just spent $10,000 on 6 books that weren't in the Guide , she thought I was nuts. Really. She said she loved me, but that I had really lost it. insane.gif

Around the office the purchase became known at "Moondog's Folly". Maybe that's why I never gave up on my quest to get them listed in Overstreet.

Today, as more information surfaces - and more collectors fall in love with them, ashcans are becoming more valuable. And with increasing value comes respect. And that is what I've been fighting for all these years.

As Mark can tell you, their rarity and historical importance is intoxicating. To hold a pop culture artifact of this importance is almost a religious experience. hail.gif Thank god, we can laugh at ourselves as well as appreciate our wondeful hobby.

Now, if only I can get back the Wonder Woman and All-Star ashcans...then I'd be happy!

Mark has the only ashcan, I care to own. Though, it is incredibly impressive that Moondog has been able to acquire what he has. And in doing so, has broadened the knowledge of collectors everywhere. People like Mark and Moondog make these boards a better place. I am done with the brown nosing now.

Gary, do you have any idea what ever happened to Browne?

BTW, I just picked up the Slam Bang ashcan! gossip.gif

AH HAH!!! You're the one who snagged that from Metro. I noticed that soon after I got mine, the Slam-Bang copy disappeared. At least I know it's got a good home.

AH HAH!!! You're the one who snagged that from Metro. I noticed that soon after I got mine, the Slam-Bang copy disappeared. At least I know it's got a good home.

It was on hold for me. You're lucky Stephen didn't mention yours as well as I would have snagged both! makepoint.gif

It was on hold for me. You're lucky Stephen didn't mention yours as well as I would have snagged both! makepoint.gif

Let's not be greedy, you need to throw us "little people" a bone now and then. headbang.gif

Thanks Mark,

Do you know which CBG number this came out of? I have a near-complete run thru 1990 or so some one gave me for the cost of shipping them - a friend had died, and the heirs had no where to store them, so they asked me - would like to read this a bit easier

bob

1437812-ashcan_cbg_p1.rev.jpg

1437813-ashcan_cbg_p2.rev.jpg1437814-ashcan_cbg_p3.rev.jpg

Thanks Mark,

Do you know which CBG number this came out of? I have a near-complete run thru 1990 or so some one gave me for the cost of shipping them - a friend had died, and the heirs had no where to store them, so they asked me - would like to read this a bit easier

bob

Paging Moondog!

No idea on the whereabouts of Stephen Browne.

Nice pick up on the Slam Bang, Mark! thumbsup2.gif

Bob, my copy of the article is buried in one of 20 boxes...I'll let you know the issue number if/when I find it.

With all this interest in ashcans lately, I'm sure the Double Action 1's and 2's will be flying out of the wood work. Heck, that thud sound you just heard was the market collapsing as I write this.

tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif