• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 Mile High copy

283 posts in this topic

I've heard bits & pieces about this book. Can anyone tell me:

1) Has it been graded by CGC? If not, what is the (estimated) grade?

2) Anyone have a picture of it? Is it the one that Gerber used in his book?

3) Anyone have any other details about it?

Thanks

estimated at 9.2 on average

no pictures

not in Gerber. (I think)

owned by the top collector with the best stuff.

Considered by 99.44% of th ehobby as thebest copy in existence.

Many unfounded rumors that it has been restored.

NOT FOR SALE!

Thats about it in a nutshell.

search the boards. We have discussed it many times here!

Amano hit the nail on the head.Very little is known about the book.

It was purchased in the the early 1980s by the Dentist for around 25k along with Actions 2 to 23[ All Mile Highs!]....

I believe Dave bought them directly from Chuck with John Snyder brokering the sale

I believe it was Steve .F. estimate that it was a NM- 9.2.

As for restoration no one but a priviledged few know the answer to that.

If the sale was directly from Chuck to Dave I would say that the odds of it being restored are remote. If on the other hand J.S owned the book at any point I would say the odds of it being restored do go up[ In my opinion only].

There are rumors that 2 million dollars was offered and refused for this book.They are only rumors though its value is certainly in that range.

The name Church is written on the Logo area of the Mile High Action # 1.

One of the very few Miles Highs that have church written on it. Most Miles Highs have the number/letter coding.

The Mile High Action 1 is not the book in the Gerber Guide..

Thats about it for now

I have never seen the Allentown Tec #27.

It was purchased by the same person in the 1980s for some 85k.

Its condition is suppose to be in the 9.4 to 9.6 range. Likely one of the highest graded Goldenage keys of them all. Another Mega Million book!

There is a nice discription of it in Jerry Weists book[The one hundred greatest Comicbooks]

Since I started this thread, I'll go O/T for a minute.....I keep hearing about "the dentist". From what I've gathered, he's got like the best books in existence. Is he kinda reclusive? I mean if I owned some of these I'd love to show them off, but it seems like his collection is somewhat "guarded". Does he go to the cons or he on these boards? I mean if he wants to keep them tucked away all for himself, he has every right to to so. Just wondering....

Since I started this thread, I'll go O/T for a minute.....I keep hearing about "the dentist". From what I've gathered, he's got like the best books in existence. Is he kinda reclusive? I mean if I owned some of these I'd love to show them off, but it seems like his collection is somewhat "guarded". Does he go to the cons or he on these boards? I mean if he wants to keep them tucked away all for himself, he has every right to to so. Just wondering....

You can see some of his books below. He doesn't seem very friendly though!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZthebiglooQQhtZ-1

Some nice books. I was watching that Adventure #37

Hey, I'm the current high bidder on that mister (now where's my shotgun...?) stooges.gif

STEVE Got Larson?

I actually just bought a graded copy, so I was just watching it. Hmmm, maybe I'll place bids just to jack up the price! devil.gif Totally kidding - good luck, it's a sweet book! thumbsup2.gif

Hmmm, maybe I'll place bids just to jack up the price!

You've got a bright future in this business, kid!

It's in less grade than I usually go for, but since I don't have a copy I thought I might pick it up until a better one comes along.

Feel free to bid, fellas... my reserve bid is only $3,000 smirk.gif

STEVE Got Larson?