• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 Mile High copy

283 posts in this topic

Big deal. Lots of big books havent been seen since they were bought years ago.

don't think i would put this in the same catogory as "Lots of big books". nothing is as big as this.

and of course i don't expect him to bring it to a friggin con and pass it around. makepoint.gif

i'm thinking just a photo or something in the new museum or something.

unless of course it has had restoration

By most "rumors" the restoration was nothing more than a small amount of color touch. I'm betting that you wouldn't be able to see it in a scan if he provided one. Speculating that restoration is the reason nobody has seen it since he bought it is probably an excersize in futility at best.

are you kidding me....with the detectives on these boards.

Why doesn't some one send him an ASAQ on eBay and link him to this thread? Who knows, he might honour us with an appearance and god willing ... even a picture!

Yeah, he sounds like a cool dude! Maybe someone could email and persuade him to post a picture of this much-talked about Action #1 yay.gif Couldn't hurt to ask.

e-mail sent

why wouldn't he show it? what could be his reason? it makes me think it has had restoration.

A wise man once said that showing your collection devalues it. tongue.gif

A wiser man said that we covet what we see.

STEVE Got Larson?

I am certain that "we covet what we see", and if images of the Mile High Action #1 were made available, it would not devalue the book. I have recently posted some pics in other threads and received several PM's from collectors that stated the images posted increased their deisre to obtain a copy for themselves...seeing is believing!

Guys, the original comment was just a poke at a former nut job board member named Krazy Kat, who used that line as an excuse to not show any of his supposedly unbelievable OA collection. No rational person believes it. gossip.gif

why wouldn't he show it? what could be his reason? it makes me think it has had restoration.

I am certain that "we covet what we see", and if images of the Mile High Action #1 were made available, it would not devalue the book. I have recently posted some pics in other threads and received several PM's from collectors that stated the images posted increased their deisre to obtain a copy for themselves...seeing is believing!

For those of you coming in late, this phrase: "A wise man once said that showing your collection devalues it. tongue.gif" is a joke, refering back to a spaz of a Poster named "krazy_kat". KK claimed to have a million dollar original art collection, but wouldn't let anyone see any of it for the reason above. Go look up his ID and read his rants about how comic books suck so bad compared to original art. Then you'll see why he was banned, and you'll 27_laughing.gif like I did, esp. when you read "wise man"!

Edit: Annnd... I was late by 15 minutes sorry.gif

For those of you coming in late, this phrase: "A wise man once said that showing your collection devalues it. tongue.gif" is a joke, refering back to a spaz of a Poster named "krazy_kat". KK claimed to have a million dollar original art collection, but wouldn't let anyone see any of it for the reason above. Go look up his ID and read his rants about how comic books suck so bad compared to original art. Then you'll see why he was banned, and you'll 27_laughing.gif like I did, esp. when you read "wise man"!

Still Elements original statements of deduction were shere lunacy, and knee jerk would be describing them nicely. If someone hasn't made public the display of one of their books, there's a million and one reason's why they wouldn't of done before getting to 'hiding restoration'. How about the quintisential 'why bother', it's his book, he bow's to his own whims, not some half wit spouting off on these boards.

Still Elements original statements of deduction were shere lunacy, and knee jerk would be describing them nicely. If someone hasn't made public the display of one of their books, there's a million and one reason's why they wouldn't of done before getting to 'hiding restoration'. How about the quintisential 'why bother', it's his book, he bow's to his own whims, not some half wit spouting off on these boards.

i don't believe that for a second

you don't purchase the most amazing book in the history of comics just to say "why bother"

Your quite right, but that was 25 odd years ago now....the trumpetting would of died away a wee while ago don't ya think?

I little presence of mind before you type please, you contributions are aggrevating to read at best.

I know of one reason, and a very good one too I might add, that a person would not bring a book of that caliper to a con. Theft and mugging. You don't go lugging around gold bars or bearer bonds, so why would you lug around the best "known" copy of Action #1?

27_laughing.gif

You guys have made a lot of good points: He took a huge gamble back in the 80's by buying it - there was certainly no guarantee that it would reach the status that it has. His gamble paid off and good for him!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif Also, I agree that he's not as in awe of it as we are. He's owned it for 20+ years, so the "newness" has worn off. Lastly, he's pretty well off if he can turn down (a rumored) $2M. So he's a rich man with a great investment. I'm sure he appreciates the significance of that particular copy, but he may see it as more of an investment. I doubt he gets giddy like the average fanboy would when looking at that book.

you don't purchase the most amazing book in the history of comics just to say "why bother"

Your quite right, but that was 25 odd years ago now....the trumpetting would of died away a wee while ago don't ya think?

I little presence of mind before you type please, you contributions are aggrevating to read at best.

you know i almost wrote in my previous post "i know when he purchased the book he may not of realized how important the book would be today being that it's a church book and all, but he certainly knows now"

but i figured i didn't need to hold your hand

I know of one reason, and a very good one too I might add, that a person would not bring a book of that caliper to a con. Theft and mugging. You don't go lugging around gold bars or bearer bonds, so why would you lug around the best "known" copy of Action #1?

and of course i don't expect him to bring it to a friggin con and pass it around. makepoint.gif

i'm thinking just a photo or something in the new museum or something.

I agree, why bother? What does he care what we think? When I read Element's question, my thoughts were: "The Dentist probably doesn't feel the need to validate himself, his self worth, or his purchases by proving to a bunch of drooling fanboys how nice his Action # 1 is, pedigree or no." Automatically assuming it has restoration is jumping to conclusions as I see it. Maybe The Dentist just isn't a braggart speculator with a self-inflated ego defined by how much he pays for his comics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Automatically assuming it has restoration is jumping to conclusions as I see it. Maybe The Dentist just isn't a braggart speculator with a self-inflated ego defined by how much he pays for his comics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Precisely, nothing more complicated than that. thumbsup2.gif

I think the fact that we haven't seen it (except for Steve Fishler, Chuck, et al), adds to the books mystique, I mean, not knowing the paticulars of the book, and only guessing and discussing based on bits and pieces from many different sources allows the book to take on a larger than life feel, sorta like the Roswell landings or Bigfoot, or the Holy Grail...

still,.. to see it would be very sweet indeed..

I agree, why bother? What does he care what we think? When I read Element's question, my thoughts were: "The Dentist probably doesn't feel the need to validate himself, his self worth, or his purchases by proving to a bunch of drooling fanboys how nice his Action # 1 is, pedigree or no." Automatically assuming it has restoration is jumping to conclusions as I see it. Maybe The Dentist just isn't a braggart speculator with a self-inflated ego defined by how much he pays for his comics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You mean he's not like us? smile.gif

I don't think anyone expects him to bring it to a con. He'd be insane unless it was literally protected by armed guards. It's sad, but that's the world we live in folks. I meant this thread to be more about the book itself rather than judging what the current owner does with it. If he never brings it out of the safe deposit box, I certainly won't blame him. Although I'd still love to see a pic.