• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 Mile High copy

283 posts in this topic

unless of course it has had restoration

By most "rumors" the restoration was nothing more than a small amount of color touch. I'm betting that you wouldn't be able to see it in a scan if he provided one. Speculating that restoration is the reason nobody has seen it since he bought it is probably an excersize in futility at best.

A thought that occured after reading this thread. Never knew the action 1 had "church" written on it. Which doesn't downgrade it from a near mint, appaarently.

Yet if there were a tiny dot of color touch on the cover, barely comprising a fraction of one percent of the ink left on the cover by the name "church" there would be people saying the book should be labelled restored and if the book were submitted to CGC with said color touch as just a book that came from nowhere then I would fully expect the book to come back from CGC as an "apparent fine" instead of an unrestored near mint pedigree. And if offered at auction people would be saying it should bring no more than 50K

The difference being that restoration is done to improve the appearance and/or structure of a book. A name written on the cover does neither. If anything it takes away from the appearance. You wouldn't give a book a restored grade if you kid hit it with a crayon would you?

So the MIle High Action #1 back in the early 1980's was purchased for $25k and the Allentown Det. #27 was purchased around that era for around $85k... Big discrepancy in prices between the two. I would figure the Det. 27 would sell for around $60k or something unless perhaps it was 100% unrestored since the Action #1 may have slight restoration. But if the Action #1 is truly unrestored, then I'm surprise by the big price difference.

Anyways, those numbers are astronomically high back in the early 80's. I wonder if anyone else would spend that much for those books back then. Btw, does anyone know of a site where they could convert the prices of both books back then to today's prices? I'm curious to see how much those prices back then compare to today's prices.

why wouldn't he show it? what could be his reason? it makes me think it has had restoration.

A wise man once said that showing your collection devalues it. tongue.gif

A wiser man said that we covet what we see.

STEVE Got Larson?

why wouldn't he show it? what could be his reason? it makes me think it has had restoration.

STEVE Got Larson?

Hannibal Lecter? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So the MIle High Action #1 back in the early 1980's was purchased for $25k and the Allentown Det. #27 was purchased around that era for around $85k... Big discrepancy in prices between the two. I would figure the Det. 27 would sell for around $60k or something unless perhaps it was 100% unrestored since the Action #1 may have slight restoration. But if the Action #1 is truly unrestored, then I'm surprise by the big price difference.

Since I was collecting Comico back in the 80's maybe someone can help here, but I thought that restored books in the 80's didn't carry much of a stigma. It wouldn't have affected the price by that much would it?

No, I don't believe the eras are even close to comparable.

I believe the Action #1 was brought in the late 70's or very early 80's. The 'Tec #27, on the other hand was brought much closer to the end of the 80's.

Huge difference in price between the two time periods, especially on the GA keys.

No, I don't believe the eras are even close to comparable.

I believe the Action #1 was brought in the late 70's or very early 80's. The 'Tec #27, on the other hand was brought much closer to the end of the 80's.

Huge difference in price between the two time periods, especially on the GA keys.

Was that the time period when Tec #27 overtook Action #1 as the most valuable GA book due to the Batman movie? According to Action1kid, both books were bought in the early 80's and since he knows "The Dentist" personally, i'm sure he is accurate about the time period. But even let's say there is a 10 year difference, the price between the two books, I think, is still significantly large.

Is he a completionist? We've talked about the big time keys he owns, but does his HG collection of DC Superheros extend past the keys? I was just wondering who might own all the non key Church DCs...

There was (probably still is, as far as I know) a fellow in Houston who had a bunch of Church Adventures, Leading 1, Green Lantern 1, key Star Spangleds and others. I don't run with that crowd so much any more, so I haven't seen him in a while.

I believe you are referring to Joe Smejkal from Texas.

Yes, he certainly did have quite a few nice Church books. With respect to the Adventure run, I believe it is limited to the Sandman cover issues with the exception of issue #40. I also believe he has the Flash run from issue #2 through to #23 or something like that.

Not sure if he actually has all of these books left since I have seen some of the Adventures up for sale in the past. Same with his National run since the National #7 has been sold through Heritage a couple of times already.

Maybe I'll ask him the next time I see him since he always shows up for the SD conventions.

I believe you are referring to Joe Smejkal from Texas.

Sounds like it, lou. I spoke with Joe in San Diego this year - he has the Green Lantern Church run (not complete; I know at the very least that issue 5 is missing, but rumor is that it wasn't even in the MH collection...I really don't know) also, I do believe.

STEVE Got Larson?

But even let's say there is a 10 year difference, the price between the two books, I think, is still significantly large.

You would think so, but if I remember correctly the first Overstreet had Action Comics #1 at $250. 10 years later the Dentist purchased his copy for $25k. 10 years can make a huge difference.

Re:

He doesn't seem very friendly though

Must disagree. Have dealt with Dave numerous times over the years and always had a very pleasant conversation and satisfiable transaction. In fact I would probably not have stayed in the hobby had I not crossed his path and started doing business with him.

I would also disagee as I have had several very pleasant dealings with Dave over the years.

I believe people probably feel that he is unfriendly due to some of his auction descriptions which sometimes leaves you with a take it or leave it feeling. I also feel a lot of collectors are probably a bit intimidated by the so-called "Dentist" and probably afraid to contact him.

He has always been more than fair with respect to his prices. For example, I remember picking up copies of More Fun #47 and #65 from him back in the mid 90's just after he had picked them up from the Overstreet Diamond opening. Since I expressed interest in them during a telephone conversation, he gave them to me at his cost plus $50 to cover the cost of postage.

Similarly, I still remember when he sold a raw F/VF copy of Pep #23 for over 4X guide. When I contacted him to ask about the book, he said that he didn't realize I was interested in the book. After being one of the underbidders on the book, he was kind enough to offered me some other early Archies and I ended up picking up another early Archie in similar grade for something like guide plus only 25%.

So far, nothing but good dealings with Dave over the years. You have to remember that a lot of "scraps" which these big collectors throw away can look like pure gems in our small collections. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

STEVE Got Larson?

Hannibal Lecter? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, John Holmes.

STEVE Got Larson?

so it's off limits

He doesn't wear a pin that says "Don't ask me about my Church copy of Action 1" so for all I know he can't wait to talk about it. I'm unlikely to be the person to ask about during my first meeting.

Adam;

I don't believe Dave has a problem with talking about the Church Action #1.

I remember talking to him on the phone back in the 90's and we had quite a long discussion about his Church Action run. He had no problem talking about the actual purchase, how he felt at the time about the price, his uncertainty about if he would ever be able to recoup his money, how he was able to fund some of his purchases, etc. and I didn't even had to ask.

But as you have stated, it's probably not a good idea to ask him (or anybody else for that matter) about these types of books during your first conversation with the guy.

A thought that occured after reading this thread. Never knew the action 1 had "church" written on it. Which doesn't downgrade it from a near mint, appaarently.

Yet if there were a tiny dot of color touch on the cover, barely comprising a fraction of one percent of the ink left on the cover by the name "church" there would be people saying the book should be labelled restored and if the book were submitted to CGC with said color touch as just a book that came from nowhere then I would fully expect the book to come back from CGC as an "apparent fine" instead of an unrestored near mint pedigree. And if offered at auction people would be saying it should bring no more than 50K

The difference being that restoration is done to improve the appearance and/or structure of a book. A name written on the cover does neither. If anything it takes away from the appearance. You wouldn't give a book a restored grade if you kid hit it with a crayon would you?

I agree with what you're saying, but I'll bet that no collector of Edgar Church's books would view the "Church" name on the Action Comics #1 as anything other than a HUGE plus. cloud9.gif There are so few Church books that actually have Edgar's name written on them that I think it's pretty cool and quite a rarity to have one of the few.

Why doesn't some one send him an ASAQ on eBay and link him to this thread? Who knows, he might honour us with an appearance and god willing ... even a picture!

Yeah, he sounds like a cool dude! Maybe someone could email and persuade him to post a picture of this much-talked about Action #1 yay.gif Couldn't hurt to ask.

STEVE Got Larson?

I am certain that "we covet what we see", and if images of the Mile High Action #1 were made available, it would not devalue the book. I have recently posted some pics in other threads and received several PM's from collectors that stated the images posted increased their deisre to obtain a copy for themselves...seeing is believing!