• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Cover Artist

47 posts in this topic

I love the Jeff Jones covers. Not familiar with his work before your post. 199 is especially sweet.... for some reason it reminds me of Max Fleischers rotoscope work.

Here's another one of his covers!

DM3.JPG

Hey Greggy, any idea who did the covers for Dark Mansion #1 and Sinister House #1. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought those were Jeff Jones as well?

Nope...but only a rookie would ASSUME that! sumo.gif

I love the Jeff Jones covers. Not familiar with his work before your post. 199 is especially sweet.... for some reason it reminds me of Max Fleischers rotoscope work.

DM3.JPG

Hey Greggy, any idea who did the covers for Dark Mansion #1 and Sinister House #1. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dark Mansion #1 is a photo cover isn't it?

J.D.

DM3.JPG

I would KNOW if I HAD a copy. >sigh< Damn expensive books. I'll just wait until you die and then I'll buy a copy from your estate sale. Then I'll wipe my [!@#%^&^] with it.

Aparo's a great illustrator, but doesnt rank with these others as best cover artist.

Frazetta's Famous Funnies covers are awesome

Brian Bolland's are are terrifically realistic

Steranko's are beautifully designed and classic

Adams are, well Neal Adams: powerful, gritty and wildly angled and perspectived (sp)

Kirby's pop off the page with power and solidity..and their design is subtle but strong

Lots of other great covers, hard to choose from them al.

Well, Neal is definitely tops in my book, but for some names that haven't been mentioned yet, I'd add Bill Sienkiewicz (who's currently doing some covers for "Elektra") and Enrich (did some awesome Vampirella covers for Warren).

Besides Sienkiewicz, my favorite current cover artists are the two Gregs: Greg Horn (Elektra, Marville, Emma Frost) and Greg Land (Sojourn).

Gene

Tie between Neal Adams....and Jim Aparo.

J.D.

Yeah, JD, I'm a big fan of Aparo, but not sure I'd put him in the same class as Steranko, Adams, Bolland, etc. But there were a few times that Jim absolutely nailed it, such as

adv431.jpg

and

adv432.jpg

gotta be Jim Steranko.

Shield issue 6 is my fav of his by far.... Shield 6 cover

X-Men 50 with polaris on the cover also comes to mind.

Any artists and some good examples of their work you'd like to share??

That's a sweet cover, but I also like Art Adams, Todd McFarlane, and Berni Wrightson (as well as L.B. Cole).

Hmmmm, no one mentions Ditko. I agree Jim Steranko, I like Shield #4 Personally. Cap 110 cloud9.gif I mean c'mon thats just what its all about. I like Neal Adams but he did have bubbles on alot of his covers, especially the Batman ones, which I still love. Perez was/is my favorite modern ager. Romita on ASM 50 cloud9.gif I guess if pressed its still Steranko, true he didn't do as many as some but thats also part of the appeal, every one is a gem. You just know its him, the style is just says comic book classic to me. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I guess if pressed its still Steranko, true he didn't do as many as some but thats also part of the appeal, every one is a gem. You just know its him, the style is just says comic book classic to me

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Chris

You know he's not one of the classic artists but I really liked Claudio Castellini's(?) covers to Fantastic Four Unlimiteds! Too bad you had to suffer through some of the worst art ever to grace a comics page once you looked inside......

Jim