• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to collect next?

33 posts in this topic

I always hated Daredevil. I know that it's a fantasy world and none of these stories are real and none of it is actually possible but i just never could really buy his story. He's not a Superhero, he's disabled. confused-smiley-013.gif

I always hated Daredevil. I know that it's a fantasy world and none of these stories are real and none of it is actually possible but i just never could really buy his story. He's not a Superhero, he's disabled. confused-smiley-013.gif

its all relative..xaviers in a wheel chair, tony stark has heart problems..so DD can be blind

but to each their own thumbsup2.gif

Does anyone know if there was a collector who ever tried to get a run of Four Color comics? That would take some work and patience. I like diversity in my funny books.

My comic runs are short like Planet Of The Apes magazine 1-29, web of spidey 1-50 + 3 ann -- untold tales of spidey 1-25 + 2 ann, mad magazine 100-180

As I am completionist, I am more interested in great story lines than cover art.

If it has to be SA Marvel, then I would go with Tales of Suspense. Only 60 issues and some fun stories.

If it doesn't have to SA Marvel, then I would go with GA Detective Comics. (more fun stories)

I think GA Detective would be out of my price range (love those early covers in the GA thread).

Thanks everyone for the input. I've thought about X-Men, but the GS#1, 94-142 run could get super expensive.

Thor might be a good choice. What would be the quintessential Thor/Journey into Mystery run?

Also, anyone recommend Strange Tales/Dr. Strange?

its all relative..xaviers in a wheel chair, tony stark has heart problems..so DD can be blind

but to each their own thumbsup2.gif

If Daredevil wasn't blind, he'd be a third-rate Batman clone. The genius (and challenge to creators) of his character is that he's blind.

A Daredevil run is do-able and not too highly priced. The Miller run is excellent but be careful of the earlier books in the 30s and 40s when they did the Mike Murdock stories. Those stink like yesterday's garbage.

Strange Tales/Dr. Strange are fun books and worth looking into.

Strange Tales is another certainly doable run ... the first few are expensive for those stories as well as the second stories in the books.

They are really pretty fun stuff ... Ditko's art is unlike any other at the time and makes me feel like a kid again every time I look at it. The stories themselves are "out there" and a bit psychelic, so if that stuff turns you off then you probably won't like it.

Strange Tales is another certainly doable run ... the first few are expensive for those stories as well as the second stories in the books.

They are really pretty fun stuff ... Ditko's art is unlike any other at the time and makes me feel like a kid again every time I look at it. The stories themselves are "out there" and a bit psychelic, so if that stuff turns you off then you probably won't like it.

Also, with Strange Tales, you'll get some pretty cool Steranko art mixed in there. thumbsup2.gif

If you are at all interested in moderns, head over to Vertigo's website and read free first issues from various series. Most of these titles are great reads and are easy to find in TPB if you are just interested in the story. They are also a lot of fun to collect as you can find some recent issues in dollar bins and have a challenge in finding some of the early issues for decent prices.

-Bob

Does anyone know if there was a collector who ever tried to get a run of Four Color comics? That would take some work and patience. I like diversity in my funny books.

My comic runs are short like Planet Of The Apes magazine 1-29, web of spidey 1-50 + 3 ann -- untold tales of spidey 1-25 + 2 ann, mad magazine 100-180

Actually there is a local guy who is supposed to have an incredible run of four colour books...

BTW, DD has more followers than i thought...I should fill up my run before word gets out that it's still a great affordable run... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif