• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

I think people are just really starting to realize how important this book is in the grand scheme of things with Bronze Age books, start of the Bronze Age or not. One thing to note is that Neal Adams books have been continually rising in value and it seems his fans are everywhere and this book is the book with regards to his work.

The rarity factor Im sure also plays a factor. Whether its hard to believe or not this book seems to genuinely be hard to find in true NM condition and what I think is more of a truer test of a books long term value is once prices start going nuts on it do the higher grade copies show up for sale ?

I cant even remember when was the last time we saw a copy of this book in 9.4 for sale publically and I can personally attest that the prices on 9.4s are heading into the stratosphere even more so then the 9.0s. The art and story in the book are terrific and since we all know we comic people are " Cover guys " you really cant get better then this in any age of comics.

Adams Superman 233 is one other book that you will not find in high grade for sale anymore. I have the only high graded for sale in a long long time.........

I think people are just really starting to realize how important this book is in the grand scheme of things with Bronze Age books, start of the Bronze Age or not. One thing to note is that Neal Adams books have been continually rising in value and it seems his fans are everywhere and this book is the book with regards to his work.

The rarity factor Im sure also plays a factor. Whether its hard to believe or not this book seems to genuinely be hard to find in true NM condition and what I think is more of a truer test of a books long term value is once prices start going nuts on it do the higher grade copies show up for sale ?

I cant even remember when was the last time we saw a copy of this book in 9.4 for sale publically and I can personally attest that the prices on 9.4s are heading into the stratosphere even more so then the 9.0s. The art and story in the book are terrific and since we all know we comic people are " Cover guys " you really cant get better then this in any age of comics.

Adams Superman 233 is one other book that you will not find in high grade for sale anymore. I have the only high graded for sale in a long long time.........

When I was selling my 9.4, I couldn't give it away...so I kept it.

Gotta echo John's thoughts. Metro had a 9.4 for a loooong time that I eventually bought. I ended up selling it then at a slight loss. Book is definitely not that hard to find in HG, have owned several raw 9.2s, and a raw 9.4. Owned two raw 9.4s.

You will find that book quite frequently and demand is not as high as you'd think for such a cool cover. I know you have one for sale right now, but it's not as hot as you'd think.

Supes 233 was a hot book selling for multiples of guide several years ago when it was cheap and not so abundant in HG...now it's everywhere, and it's expensive.

ZONKER WROTE: "drbanner is gonna laugh at the predictability of it all, but this thread did prompt me to dig out my copy of GL #75, hoping to find the on-sale date for the next issue. I didn't, but I did find house ads for Batman 220 and Flash 195, both cover-dated March, and both on sale Jan. 22. So GL 76 was certainly in the post-Christmas doldrums Bob is speaking of.

More importantly, in this issue I found the GL circulation statement, dated October 1, 1969. Get this: Total Paid Circulation: 160,423 averaged over the preceeding 12 months. 146,372 in the issue nearest to the filing date. That's a horrible sales figure by 1969 standards. How horrible? Check out this previously posted data from the Standard Guide... "

Actually, one does not need to find on sale dates in other comic books to ascertain within a week or so when most any given book went on sale

As has been pointed out for some time here and there, the date on the cover is the date the retailer was supposed to take the book off sale

So, in the late 60s and early 70s, one went 3 months back wards.

April take off sale cover date gives you January on sale

theoretically, a retailer back then would have a couple numbers of each title for sale on monthly type comic books

That was the theory, not usually the norm, however.

By the time GL 85 86 heroin Speedy issues came out and got all that press coverage, many dealer collector types had figured out how to get comics from the local ID distributor, either by going to the ID distributor, or, in the case of myself, being a naive high school student then, i ordered from the local magazine retailer, paying full cover price, never a discount, even when ordering say 600 Conan #1 in advance at 20¢ a pop, so i paid $120, waited until the following summer July 4th week end Seuling comicon, and sold em all for about $1500 not letting more than 3 to 5 copies go to any one person, spreading the wealth as it were. We sold out in a day and a half on that one book.

By the end of that show in NYC. Conan #1 was a $5 book, we could have gotten closer to $3K out of them, but we had run out. We did not really know how crazy it was on Conan #1 until we got there and tested the waters, and collectors (and other dealers) went crazy

Now, GL 85 86 were common as dirt at that show. Every one had many many copies

GL 76 77 were way scarcer versus demand - and always was that way for a long time as Neal Adams ruled the roost for most of the 1970s until John Byrne fever replaced Adams in the #1 fan fave hot seat.

Frank Miller began coming in a close 2nd with his Daredevil run. I picked up on his DD run with #159, placing 200 copies in cold storage because l liked the green cover a lot. I did not notice #158 until later. I think i started really tuning in on Miler DDs with #163 Hulk issue and with #168 began placing huge orders to have for later after every one else had run out

Frank Miller began coming in a close 2nd with his Daredevil run. I picked up on his DD run with #159, placing 200 copies in cold storage because l liked the green cover a lot. I did not notice #158 until later. I think i started really tuning in on Miler DDs with #163 Hulk issue and with #168 began placing huge orders to have for later after every one else had run out

How many copies of the really hot Miller DD's did you put into storage? 168, 181 etc...

Supes 233 was a hot book selling for multiples of guide several years ago when it was cheap and not so abundant in HG...now it's everywhere, and it's expensive.

boy, how often have we heard that same story about so many comics!

it seems Overstreet has been aware that 76 and 77 are "scarcer" as they are much higher prised than the rest. And it makes sense as Bob recalls that the switch wouldnt have been caught right away. Takes a few issues fior word to circulate and catch on. This was the norm in the 80s too, like with Swamp Thing 21, as a new series heated up the first few were harder to come by and quickly everyone piled on and pre-ordered bigtime the next issues.

How many copies of the really hot Miller DD's did you put into storage? 168, 181 etc...

DD 181 debuted the week before Christmas 1981 - and i had Frank Miller had his first ever store signing that week end, with Buddy Saunders of Lone Star in Dallas having him the week after. Seems we both called Frank the same day when we found out 181 was going to be special that some one dies - and we quickly figured it out cuz i needed Frank at my store before the UC_Berkeley students went away for the holiday and Buddy wanted him when the students were out of class over the break.

I ordered 12,000 copies of DD 181 - Frank signed non-stop for 12 hours Saturday and went for another 8 on Sunday. I estimate 3000+ people came thru Saturday. I had to hire half a dozen customers to help with crowd control that day.

DD 168 i only ordered up maybe 2000 extras, was not yet tuned into how hot it was going to go

it seems Overstreet has been aware that 76 and 77 are "scarcer" as they are much higher prised than the rest. And it makes sense as Bob recalls that the switch wouldnt have been caught right away. Takes a few issues fior word to circulate and catch on. This was the norm in the 80s too, like with Swamp Thing 21, as a new series heated up the first few were harder to come by and quickly everyone piled on and pre-ordered bigtime the next issues.

Well, that's cuz that's the way it is/was. GL 76 77 hit the stands below every one's radar, but some of us quickly caught on to this then-sleeper and when the heroin issues publicity hit, all hell broke loose, every body in the country scrambling, and those issues became very common for a while, but the demand also drove them up in price.

The last Adams issue 89, the Jesus issue, saw all kinds of issues scarfed up, none of us really knowing it was the last issue. This is where affidavit return fraud actually killed the book

I did not read Moore's Swamp Thing until #24 came out, read 20 21 22 23 24 all in one sitting - prompted by an astute employee, bugging me that those comics were really good

I then got on the phone and in one day i called every major re-wholesaler in the country, asking to buy every Swamp Thing they had from 1 thru 24, not wanting to let on WHY i wanted them, so i ordered all the pre Moore issues as well, figuring there would not be that many, and, besides, there would be some people wanting to complete the run, starting form scratch

I paid 18 cents each in bulk

I ended up with 15,000 Moore Swamp Things 20 21 22 23 24 as #25 rolled in. I waited before releasing any

When #27 came out, i made 20 21 ten bucks a pop, They flew out and we soon ran out - and no one else had any any way, those two issues went even higher to $20 a pop for a while

Comics like this made up for the errors in purchases which languished in the ware house

Long time ago in a galaxy far far away

gl76cgc9-front-cvr.jpg

gl76cgc9-6back-cvr.jpg

I purchased this book from Ewert in July or Aug., I think it was Aug., of 2004. This is the orignal slab and number, I have never resubmitted it. Do you guys think it was trimmed?

I would send it in and let CGC take a look at it. Being census highest, you don't want any dark cloud hanging over it ... just my opinion

When I was selling my 9.4, I couldn't give it away...so I kept it.

I will buy it PM me