• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

I read somewhere that Adams and O' Neil wrote the drug story and while they were trying to figure out how to get around the comic code BAM, Marvel’s Amazing Spider-Man 96 hit the stands without the comic code approval. A light bulb went on and they shipped their book that week. (or something to that effect)

I don't doubt that at all, and old Stan sure was a trail-blazer.

The timeline would also fit, as with the lead time necessary, ASM 96 with a May 1971 cover date would would be in line with the subsequent August 1971 cover date of GL/GA 85.

Interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I also recall Marvel jumping the gun to beat DC to the punch. Butdont remember the details. It does ring a bell that by going w/o the Code seal Stan was able to rush his version out first.

That sounds like the DC side of the story. insane.gif

I also recall Marvel jumping the gun to beat DC to the punch. Butdont remember the details. It does ring a bell that by going w/o the Code seal Stan was able to rush his version out first.

That sounds like the DC side of the story. insane.gif

I read somewhere that GL/GA 85-86 were originally intended for some type of special anti-drug publication outside the regular series-- maybe 'cause they were worried about the Code and wanted to bypass normal distribution? Anyway, unlike Stan's Spidey books, the GL/GA books went out with the Code approval, but only because the Code was revised during the interim to allow for drug themes to be addressed. In retrospect, the Spidey stuff is pretty tame (pills, mostly off-camera) compared to the GL/GA sequences (shooting up smack, an overdose, Ollie & Hal under the accidental influence of heroin) 893whatthe.gif

As I think this proves, the book is going through the roof. $1625 is cheap given that apparently a 9.0 just sold off the Link for $1k. Had I seen it, I probably would have pulled the trigger. I think $1625 might be the low price we see on 9.2s for the forseeable future.

I also noticed that my former MS 5 CGC 9.6 sold for $4,250 tonofbricks.gif

Now thats a book I really dont understand. Can anyone honestly say they really like this character ? I mean Nic Cage is playing him in the movie... I am really curious as to the value of this book after the movie hype dies down.

Now thats a book I really dont understand. Can anyone honestly say they really like this character ?

Personally, I've always hated those BA Ghost Rider issues, and they were never popular among my friends or other collectors. Badly written, poorly drawn krap that somehow, in the era of Cover-Is-King CGC grading, has found a strange market.

I dunno, in the 90s, some of my friends loved Ghost Rider. I always thought he was lame. But there is a fan base for him out there (oh where have you gone DAM60?) who think Ghost Rider is legit cool -- and those are the guys seeking out those MS #5s and GR #1s.

Of course, a GL 76 9.6 would probably outsell the MS #5 9.6 at this point.

I dunno, in the 90s, some of my friends loved Ghost Rider.

The 90's series was a lot better, but I'm referring to the original BA run that all the fools are buying up. As comics, they absolutely stunk.

I dunno, in the 90s, some of my friends loved Ghost Rider.

The 90's series was a lot better, but I'm referring to the original BA run that all the fools are buying up. As comics, they absolutely stunk.

Yeah but if you liked the 90s series, his first appearance is a holy grail for a lot of collectors. And among Bronze Age Marvel collectors, MS 5 is just hard to find in HG.

Can't say I disagree with you about the quality.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif don't see how you can like broze age and not love this book.

Maybe because I actually READ them? 27_laughing.gif

Seriously, I dare anyone to sit down and read the first 20 issues of Ghost Rider - it's just pure krap.

If you had a choice between reading Avengers 160-20 or all the MS Ghost Rider issues and the GR 1-10, which would you choose? Or better yet, go find Essential Ghost Rider and try to read it. Agree with JC... GR 70s (and even the 90s) puts me to sleep.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif don't see how you can like broze age and not love this book.

Maybe because I actually READ them? 27_laughing.gif

Seriously, I dare anyone to sit down and read the first 20 issues of Ghost Rider - it's just pure krap.

if i put that much merit into the writing of any comic i think i might be disappointed. i just remember thinking he was such a bad asss