• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

Comics like this made up for the errors in purchases which languished in the ware house

Long time ago in a galaxy far far away

All fantastic info Bob, many, many thanks for taking the time to come on the forums and share it with us. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree. Killer thread. Thanks Bob!

Did anyone see that Signature Series GL #76 go on ebay last year? I think it was a 9.0 or 9.2 that went surprisingly cheap.

R.

gl76cgc9-front-cvr.jpg

gl76cgc9-6back-cvr.jpg

I purchased this book from Ewert in July or Aug., I think it was Aug., of 2004. This is the orignal slab and number, I have never resubmitted it. Do you guys think it was trimmed?

I would send it in and let CGC take a look at it. Being census highest, you don't want any dark cloud hanging over it ... just my opinion

Agreed...just by comparing the two comics, it sure does look like the 9.6 may have a top or bottom slice missing. The top of the 9.6 from the lettering to the top doesn't look to be the same ratio top to bottom as the 9.4...essentially, it looks like there more missing in relation on the bottom than the 9.4...

But of course, my eyes could be playing tricks on me due to the knowledge the 9.6 is an Ewert book...

Jim

Comics like this made up for the errors in purchases which languished in the ware house

All fantastic info Bob, many, many thanks for taking the time to come on the forums and share it with us. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks - i have a lot of stored up info in this dinosaur-noggin of mine

Some times i just need the brain jogged a bit and i remember stuff from the days which used to be

Thanks - i have a lot of stored up info in this dinosaur-noggin of mine

Some times i just need the brain jogged a bit and i remember stuff from the days which used to be

I agree... great deal of thanks for sharing this information, truly incredible.

I started to laugh at the DD 181 story -- if only there was a situation where crowd control was needed for a comic store!

gl76cgc.jpg

9.4 under copy to compare.

Jeez. Sweet copies. Good lord.

Indeed. But, you've come across some pretty nice copies yourself, IIRC. I have one of them in my permanent collection. yay.gif (Probably in my "Top 3").

gl76cgc9-front-cvr.jpg

gl76cgc9-6back-cvr.jpg

I purchased this book from Ewert in July or Aug., I think it was Aug., of 2004. This is the orignal slab and number, I have never resubmitted it. Do you guys think it was trimmed?

I can't tell, and won't say for sure, if it was trimmed. If I were you, though, I;d send it to CGC for the check-up. If it is, Brulato will refund your cost (if it was one of his books). If it's not, and it is restored, you can contact Scott (FFB), Mark (esquire), or Brian (Foolkiller) regarding legal action.

I'm not trying to denegrade you book in any way. It's a gorgeous copy. According to CGC, the BEST! But, the background of the book, IMO, is suspect. Not your fault at all. If another 9.6 were to appear (without the history of your book), I'd pay "alot" more it (ie. not your copy). I'd get it checked out.

Never got that 9.4 though -- this is the third 9.0 I currently own, have had 5 8.5s and 3 8.0s and one 7.5 of this book --

with the 9.0 I already have, I'd probably save the $ and buy a 9.0 or 9.2 Avengers 4 instead...

Or maybe I should just go on break.

Never got that 9.4 though -- this is the third 9.0 I currently own, have had 5 8.5s and 3 8.0s and one 7.5 of this book --

with the 9.0 I already have, I'd probably save the $ and buy a 9.0 or 9.2 Avengers 4 instead...

Or maybe I should just go on break.

You had a 7.0 also. gossip.gif (part of our trade than landed me the IC Pages; a trade that I am eternily grateful for, BTW).

re: Swamp Thing 21

Didn't Comic's Buyers Guide run a promo - that if you bought a subscription, they'd send you a Swampy #21 for free? I'm pretty sure they did, as I seem to recall that's how I got my copy. I can't remember what issue of ST was on the stands when they made that offer, though... must've been several issues after 21 hit the stands... Those first dozen issues of ST by Moore were/are incredible.

Thanks again for sharing all the info. I love this stuff! I had no idea that so many books were bought in such bulk so early (to me). I've always known that books like the 1968 re-launched Marvels (Iron Man/Hulk/Nick Fury/Doc Strange) were hoarded to a certain degree & therefore I refuse to pay what I consider high prices for them (even in nice condition). I find it incredibly interesting to see what other folks were thinking at the time & rolling the dice on certain books. Love the Conan #1 info. Simply awesome. thumbsup2.gif

Truly a tough book to get in HG...I tried for 20 years. I finally got a true high grade copy. Original owner submitted for a 9.4 with white pages. Great centering. Paid a record sum for it. Needed cash. Sold it for a record sum. Maybe the only HG book I regret selling. Current owner is a board member and he's got, IMHO, bragging rights for the best copy (until the 9.6 gets cleared up).

it seems Overstreet has been aware that 76 and 77 are "scarcer" as they are much higher prised than the rest. And it makes sense as Bob recalls that the switch wouldnt have been caught right away. Takes a few issues fior word to circulate and catch on. This was the norm in the 80s too, like with Swamp Thing 21, as a new series heated up the first few were harder to come by and quickly everyone piled on and pre-ordered bigtime the next issues.

Well, that's cuz that's the way it is/was. GL 76 77 hit the stands below every one's radar, but some of us quickly caught on to this then-sleeper and when the heroin issues publicity hit, all hell broke loose, every body in the country scrambling, and those issues became very common for a while, but the demand also drove them up in price.

The last Adams issue 89, the Jesus issue, saw all kinds of issues scarfed up, none of us really knowing it was the last issue. This is where affidavit return fraud actually killed the book

I did not read Moore's Swamp Thing until #24 came out, read 20 21 22 23 24 all in one sitting - prompted by an astute employee, bugging me that those comics were really good

I then got on the phone and in one day i called every major re-wholesaler in the country, asking to buy every Swamp Thing they had from 1 thru 24, not wanting to let on WHY i wanted them, so i ordered all the pre Moore issues as well, figuring there would not be that many, and, besides, there would be some people wanting to complete the run, starting form scratch

I paid 18 cents each in bulk

I ended up with 15,000 Moore Swamp Things 20 21 22 23 24 as #25 rolled in. I waited before releasing any

When #27 came out, i made 20 21 ten bucks a pop, They flew out and we soon ran out - and no one else had any any way, those two issues went even higher to $20 a pop for a while

Hi Bob,

I was a loyal customer of your store (Best of Two Worlds) way back when. I remember being turned onto SWAMP THING by one of your employees (Dave). He used to rap the new releases every week on an answering machine (and I'd call every week). Great store, great memories.

Felix

A store employe also told me to read Swampy 21 (he INSISTED I read it!) And he was right. Issue 22 was just out so I didnt miss much. I remember CBG offering #21. They sais they discovered a case or two and made the offer. #21 was already a classic. I think it was about 2 years after 21 came out. Maybe longer... and the 21 mania had already subsided quite a bit by then.

putting aside the ewert issue, just because 2 books don't line up the same way doesn't mean one was trimmed. each book is missing some cover that the other has, so it seems likely, trim or not, that they simply weren't cut exactly the same at the printers. very common in the 60s and 70s.

gl76cgc9-front-cvr.jpg

gl76cgc9-6back-cvr.jpg

Just sell it through Heritage and don't worry about if it's trimmed or not. Heritage wont care, so why should you?