• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

if i put that much merit into the writing of any comic i think i might be disappointed.

You misunderstand totally. You're talking to a guy (who as a kid) though Hero for Hire was kick-hass, but even I had my limits, and the 70's Ghost Rider was just soooooo lame he wasn't even funny.

if i put that much merit into the writing of any comic i think i might be disappointed.

You misunderstand totally. You're talking to a guy (who as a kid) though Hero for Hire was kick-hass, but even I had my limits, and the 70's Ghost Rider was just soooooo lame he wasn't even funny.

I traded my MS #5 many years ago for a Howard the Duck #1. thumbsup2.gif..still think it was a fair trade. I thought those Ghost Rider books were indeed insane.gif. I did, however, enjoy Ghost Rider 2099 of all things.

I remember seeing that book in person when you had it. Couldn't believe it got a 9.6 crazy.gif Friggin crazy to think some fool paid 4g's for it. Now your conan 1, that was a deserving 9.6 cloud9.gif

I remember seeing that book in person when you had it. Couldn't believe it got a 9.6 crazy.gif Friggin crazy to think some fool paid 4g's for it. Now your conan 1, that was a deserving 9.6 cloud9.gif
Hater 893naughty-thumb.gif

I was thinking about, as you indicate, total census counts of numbers of copies still extant - and in that scenario, there are ga-zliions more copies out there that skew any Scarcity Ratio Index

I see so many auction house descriptions which tout the "Best Copy" slabbed concept, which does imply best copy in existence to many novice people. And i have no doubt that most any high grade of any book of note does get slabbed as it comes into the circulating pool of books in the marketplace.

So, while i have absolutely nothing against books being 3rd party inspected and graded, the census count as a determining factor of scarcity will always remain a joke to be bandied about at the bar - there are too many collectors out there i know who do not get anything slabbed, and when they buy slabbed books, they break the seal and look inside, life beyond the cover as it were

It`s called a representative sample, Bob. No one is saying it is perfectly precise. But it does generally provide a pretty good indication of relative scarcity (or abundance). You yourself confirmed that GL 76 was relatively hard to find in HG, particularly in comparison to the later Adams issues. This trend seems to be mirrored pretty well in the Census. Other examples abound. GS X-Men #1 has always been pretty easy to find in HG, while X-Men #94 has been much harder to find in HG, relatively speaking. Again, the Census mirrors this trend. I don`t think it`s a coincidence.

Did you ever hear of Nielsen ratings in TV? Hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising revenue depended on these numbers. Here`s a newsflash: not every TV viewer in America was being surveyed, actually only a very small number. Your comment about the Census being invalid because you know some collectors who haven`t slabbed their copies is the equivalent of saying the Superbowl couldn`t have been the most watched show because in YOUR neighborhood you knew that more people were watching some other show at the time.

Actually, what DOES air on the other channels during the Superbowl? confused.gif27_laughing.gif

I have to differ on this. The census is, in every way, NOT a representative sample. It is biased beyond belief. It is influenced by temporary trends in demand, it is biased by the type (age and interests) of collectors it appeals to, and, by CGC's very nature, it is designed to appeal to collectors who want their HG books to be liquid.

That said, there are going to be instances in which it does accurately reflect scarcity or relative scarcity. But there are also going to be ways in which it absolutely does not. Does CGC appeal as much to collectors age 50-60 as it does to those ages 20-40. No way. Does CGC appeal as much to collectors of Dells, Archies, and other Funny Animal books. No. Will the census ever accurately reflect the relative rarity of Fiction House or Harvey Horror titles compared to other titles. Probably not, unless this hobby and CGC continue for another 20-30 years. And then, it will only accurately reflect HG books. It's a fun tool that can be useful in leading on to follow hunches, but it is no where near even imperfectly precise and does not approach the accuracy of sophisticated polling and statistical techniques.

i pretty much agree with silver and bronze. My main gripe about the CGC census has always been that it is way too early to determine scarcity based on it's numbers. In 20 years it will mean much more! If it lasts 50 years then it will really be a great help in determining the rarity of high grade copies for a certain issue! 5 years of history just isn't enough to get a clear picture!BTW isn't this a great looking copy i picked up last year for $127! The horizontal crease at the bottom is on the slab only! The onlly wear on this book is those little spine ticks!

RAD5FBC62006210_224624.jpg[/img]

cloud9.gif