• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there proper etiquette for reselling books?

45 posts in this topic

Try to wait until you actually possess the book before you attempt to resell it.

Also, don't haggle saying you really need a book badly, only to flip it a week later.

There was the one time a certain board member not only haggled me down, but then used the numerous scans that he requested of the books to sell them on eBay. foreheadslap.gif

Okay, it was Gman!

Yeah, I was going to call that a "Gman Special", but thought I'd leave that to someone else. juggle.gif

I've flipped several books I bought here Paid the sellers price and got the price I wanted.How anyone can object to that is beyond me.

I think what Beyonder is getting at is if a buyer pops a sellers bin thats one thing, but if a buyer negotiates/haggles/bust ballz about lowering the cost of a book from a seller only to flip it later, thats another issue.

Correct. thumbsup2.gif

Try to wait until you actually possess the book before you attempt to resell it.

Also, don't haggle saying you really need a book badly, only to flip it a week later.

the asm will not be flipped

I've flipped several books I bought here Paid the sellers price and got the price I wanted.How anyone can object to that is beyond me.

I think what Beyonder is getting at is if a buyer pops a sellers bin thats one thing, but if a buyer negotiates/haggles/bust ballz about lowering the cost of a book from a seller only to flip it later, thats another issue.

Correct. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

the asm will not be flipped

The only book I can remember flipping here is an ASM. I grabbed a slabbed 8.5 Pacific Coast 99 off the Marketplace. Many months later I managed to buy the 9.2 Oakland off of eBay. Resold the PC here on the boards to someone who flipped it on eBay. heh.

That's about the only time you'll see me flipping a Boards purchase.

So, should you get better copies, by all means!

I agree with what I believe that most people are posting. If you purchase an item its your to do with as you see fit. However, if you make the purchase after a haggle on the price, it is still yours to do with what you will but its bad form to flip. I imagine if you buy from a few people and continue to quickyl flip their books after asking for a better deal, your days of getting the better deal are numbered.

I had one transaction with him, and vowed never to deal with him again. A real piece of work.

gman Translator:

"It's for my personal collection" - "I have a buyer RIGHT NOW!"

"It's one of my childhood faves" - "Have you see the recent GPA on this issue?"

"That's more than I wanted to spend" - "You're cutting into my profit margin!"

"I really need this sent Priority" - - "I'm listing it on EBay as we speak"

"I need this Fedex Overnight" - "It's already sold"

There was the one time a certain board member not only haggled me down, but then used the numerous scans that he requested of the books to sell them on eBay. foreheadslap.gif

Okay, it was Gman!

gman rule #2 has already been mentioned, but you shouldn't try to flip a book while the person you bought it from still it and is awaiting your payment before sending it to you!! foreheadslap.gif

Don't sign-rantpost.gif or sign-offtopic.gif on someone's selling thread. The only thing that should be used is takeit.gif

Let it go man, ECU just won a huge game... foreheadslap.gif

WWBN 32 CGC 9.4 poke2.gif

Don't sign-rantpost.gif or sign-offtopic.gif on someone's selling thread. The only thing that should be used is takeit.gif

WWBN 32 CGC 9.4 poke2.gif

Who flipped my WWBN 32 9.4!?!? mad.gif

I had one transaction with him, and vowed never to deal with him again. A real piece of work.

gman Translator:

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

there was a question about proper etiquette and I answered it. Guilty conscience 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

gman Translator:

27_laughing.gif

A good rule of thumb is, if G-man wants to buy a book, you've priced it way too low.

Anything I buy from the marketplace is for my collection...

893applaud-thumb.gif

I feel the same way. I thought the whole point of the Marketplace is that it featured collector-to-collector transactions and pricing was in that spirit. confused-smiley-013.gif

So yeah, it does irk me that I lose out in the marketplace to people that are looking for flip inventory. In that forum, I'd feel bad about buying a book with the intent to flip and eliminating an opportunity for a collector who really wanted it for his collectioon.

I guess I just don't have that mercenary mentality.

Okay, it was Gman!

Yeah, I was going to call that a "Gman Special", but thought I'd leave that to someone else. juggle.gif

The thing is, if you're selling to Gman then you know what he's going to do, particularly if you come down to his price. If you're not happy that he's going to flip your book after haggling you down, don't sell it to him in the first place. confused-smiley-013.gif

If I buy from the boards I don't flip I put it in my personal collection. If a fellow board member is nice enough to lower his asking price or sell cheaper another board member than I will only buy what I want for my collection. The seller is doing a service to other members by cutting a deal I don't think it ethical to take advantage of that good will and flip a book. I've seen a couple of my books for resale after I sold them for more than I sold them for because I wanted to build trust and generally be nice but now I typically don't sell on the boards anymore.

I've seen a couple of my books for resale after I sold them for more than I sold them for because I wanted to build trust and generally be nice but now I typically don't sell on the boards anymore.

Sell to me and I guarantee the books will never see the light of day.

Anything I buy from the marketplace is for my collection...

893applaud-thumb.gif

I feel the same way. I thought the whole point of the Marketplace is that it featured collector-to-collector transactions and pricing was in that spirit. confused-smiley-013.gif

So yeah, it does irk me that I lose out in the marketplace to people that are looking for flip inventory. In that forum, I'd feel bad about buying a book with the intent to flip and eliminating an opportunity for a collector who really wanted it for his collectioon.

I guess I just don't have that mercenary mentality.

'my bad?!?!?...lotsa times I buy in the marketplace just in order to have books to flip...10 years from now... tongue.gif