• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are people starting to actually appreciate great golden age comics?

206 posts in this topic

Hopefully that's the case. I think the influx of some big collectors to the boards in the last several months has steered the conversation toward how great the books are. Other than MasterChief's excellent detective work, I haven't read much lately on the restoration front that hasn't been said before ad nauseum.

Watching there boards over the last few months, I see the beginning of a rather disturbing trend.

Talk about staple placement, pressing, bindery tears and spine rolls is on a decline. And is being replaced by talk about how great these books really are. STOP IT!

Stephen

I guess it could remain a well-guarded secret for only so long. Steve, how long ago did I buy this book from you? 15 years? Maybe 20? I think I paid $220 for it...

action66.jpg

Watching there boards over the last few months, I see the beginning of a rather disturbing trend.

Talk about staple placement, pressing, bindery tears and spine rolls is on a decline. And is being replaced by talk about how great these books really are. STOP IT!

Stephen

I guess it could remain a well-guarded secret for only so long. Steve, how long ago did I buy this book from you? 15 years? Maybe 20? I think I paid $220 for it...

action66.jpg

It was 1993.

I enjoy looking past DC and Marvel is this era. Seeing publishers like ACG, FOX and countless others makes this a great unexplored area for me.

I envision the average collector is in his 30's and has seen the usual books trotted out as cornerstones of the Golden AGE (like Detective 27) and while that's great and everything, once a collector sees some of these great humor, horror,Sci-FI stuff he can't wait too see more. For me it's been a legal and safe drug.

I've enjoyed the steady flow of EC's, Centaur, Scrooge's 1952, and the seldom seen by me Adventure comics. And I appreciate my never ending list of suppliers for the fix.

Even that Peter Porkchops cover awhile back was great. thumbsup2.gif

I swing by General every so often, then have to run back here and post a book to feel clean again.

If only there were a Golden Age marketplace forum (or at the very least, a thread pinned to the top of this forum containing links to Marketplace items relevant to GA collectors)....

I swing by General every so often, then have to run back here and post a book to feel clean again.

If only there were a Golden Age marketplace forum (or at the very least, a thread pinned to the top of this forum containing links to Marketplace items relevant to GA collectors)....

I like this idea alot, I wonder how active a GA marketplace would be, seems like most collectors (myself included) hold on to their GA books.

Having recently gotten back into collecting, there is so much I'm learning in this forum and coming to appreciate. GA has led me to understand the history of comics, range of genres, impact on society and more.

A couple of weeks ago at my daughter's school I showed a western comic which just floored them that they ever existed.

btw Steve, been waiting over a week for one of your guys to send me a scan...

I think you could be on to something. I would guess there would not be enough traffic to justify a separate GA marketplace forum, but a thread pinned to the top on this thread would be an excellent idea. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Stephen

When are you going to post scans of some of the books in YOUR personal collection. poke2.gif

PM Arch and ask him to do it. You'd probably get a lot of support for it. I know I'm in favor.

When are you going to post scans of some of the books in YOUR personal collection.

He threatened to post his Adventure #46 Larson over in the Adventure Comics thread. Hope he does as I love that cover.

Stephen

Actually for the most part I think the GA section has always (at least since I've been here) focused on the enjoyment of the books with the occassional side-track discussion on a controversial topic. And even when that occurs it typically relates to GA books. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I'd agree. It seems I'm happier and have more fun when I follow threads that are just about the pure enjoyment of golden age comics. I love reading them and I love looking at the covers and looking at other peoples collections. Every collectible hobby is going to have their rip offs and parasites, nothing you can do about that except avoid them. The boards are always going to have trolls and flame throwers, just have to avoid them or not respond.I've been guilty myself at times and have gotten carried away...to my shame.So I'm all for having fun with comics, so are most of the good people here.

For me I completely burnt out on bronze, and had been really enjoying things like Pre-code horror, funny animal books and other oddball GA. Then I read the book "Men of tomorrow" which outlines the early history of the medium and the people responsible for shaping it, and I found a much deeper appreciation for GA. Because of finances I have to focus on things other people don't care as much about (Like DC funny animal) But i still am having more fun reading original GA books then I have had in this hobby in a looong time!

I too fully support a GA marketplace pin or seperate thread, I jate weeding through all the other stuff to find the few GA posts.