• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are people starting to actually appreciate great golden age comics?

206 posts in this topic

Gold is where it is at, there is so much new one can learn about the industry and comic history in general. Can't say that there is much about SA books that we haven't seen or heard before numerous times before. GA buying is more like treasure hunting, SA buying is more like grocery shopping.

Truer words were never spoken!

893applaud-thumb.gif

tonofbricks.gifsorry.gif

BTW, it's harder to find NM copies of SA DCs published from 1956-1961 than it is to find NM copies of GA DCs from 1940-1949. gossip.gif

Gold is where it is at, there is so much new one can learn about the industry and comic history in general. Can't say that there is much about SA books that we haven't seen or heard before numerous times before. GA buying is more like treasure hunting, SA buying is more like grocery shopping.

893applaud-thumb.gif

tonofbricks.gifsorry.gif

BTW, it's harder to find NM copies of SA DCs published from 1956-1961 than it is to find NM copies of GA DCs from 1940-1949. gossip.gif

You may be right, or just not that many have been submitted for slabbing. I had a few really high grade DC 50's collections come into the store in the 1990's. I mean just killer stuff. Wish I still had them...

I could retire just selling the complete funny animal runs to shiverbones...

Speaking of Peps, I have scanned the Mile High Peps from my collection (1-21,23-35,37-up) and will put them on the site over the next few days. These books are not for sale and will be placed in a special section on the Metropolis site. They are for gawking only.

Stephen

Steve;

You really have to talk to Geppi about filling in that gap with his MH copy of Pep #22. Either that, or sell your run to him for a small fortune.

Geppi doesn't have it anymore.

Adam;

Interesting news!

So, did Geppi also sell the other matching book end to this set, namely, the Church copy of Archie Comics #1? If he did, did both of these books go to the same purchaser as part of the same deal?

I still remember the big news when Geppi brought both of these books back in the 90's for something like $100K.

893applaud-thumb.gif

tonofbricks.gifsorry.gif

You may be right, or just not that many have been submitted for slabbing. I had a few really high grade DC 50's collections come into the store in the 1990's. I mean just killer stuff. Wish I still had them...

The key word in tth2's statement was "NM". I bought a couple of the funny animals when you had some nice runs (thanks!) -- but those were the best ones I saw in the boxes and weren't NM. I believe you had the WW 105 that eventually graded out as 9.4 (awesome copy!).

Talk about staple placement, pressing, bindery tears and spine rolls is on a decline. And is being replaced by talk about how great these books really are. STOP IT!

Yeah, someone might actually order a pedigreed GA book off your site or something....

wait, I just did..... thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

tonofbricks.gifsorry.gif

The key word in tth2's statement was "NM". I bought a couple of the funny animals when you had some nice runs (thanks!) -- but those were the best ones I saw in the boxes and weren't NM. I believe you had the WW 105 that eventually graded out as 9.4 (awesome copy!).

I miss that Wonder Woman. Heck that whole run was stunning. Bob Casali (spelling?) and Alan Bartholomew bought a few of those Wonder Womans. I forgot who bought the 105. Maybe it was one of them?

Many of the DC's sold in the store before I got them to San Diego. I assume that is where you bought them?

He at least posted a Pep yesterday. If it's for sale, it's not on his website.

Yeah, I looked right away for it. They have posted a substantial number of new early Peps though. Waiting for scans on a couple...

After dangling the carrot for a few days, the Pep scans are now up on Metro's site.

I couldn't resist and snagged the 39, F/VF, o/w to white. A few spine crinkles (hard to avoid in the black area), but the scan showed nice colors and a nice presentation. We'll see how it looks in person.

Wasn't cheap, but the Guide is so low on these scarce books it's hard to complain.

STEVE Got Larson?

In defense of the SA, if you're into the accomplishment of putting long runs together, that's a lot easier to do cost-wise than GA. Last year I finished my run of Cap appearances in ToS (and there are a few nice ones in there), probably for less than the cost of a mid-grade early Action. Also, if you're on a budget, there are indeed SA treasure hunts - for example, I bought a B&B #34 in presentable low grade at my LCS for $62. I was thrilled with the find. Granted, if you're a collector of vast means, SA collecting is as simple as signing checks, and you'll naturally gravitate towards the rarer GA stuff. I would, too.

Also, in my opinion, SA is more fun to read than GA, although your mileage may vary.

Not to knock GA, because I lurk in this forum all the time and find those books fascinating. Just wanted to give the other side.

In defense of the SA, if you're into the accomplishment of putting long runs together, that's a lot easier to do cost-wise than GA. Last year I finished my run of Cap appearances in ToS (and there are a few nice ones in there), probably for less than the cost of a mid-grade early Action. Also, if you're on a budget, there are indeed SA treasure hunts - for example, I bought a B&B #34 in presentable low grade at my LCS for $62. I was thrilled with the find. Granted, if you're a collector of vast means, SA collecting is as simple as signing checks, and you'll naturally gravitate towards the rarer GA stuff. I would, too.

Also, in my opinion, SA is more fun to read than GA, although your mileage may vary.

Not to knock GA, because I lurk in this forum all the time and find those books fascinating. Just wanted to give the other side.

That was a very rational counterpoint. Good job. I think almost all GA collectors started out with SA and moved to GA as their budgets expanded.

I grew up reading and collecting silver age in the 50's and sixties. GA was plentifull then and when SA started going downhill, which in my opinion was around the time Ditko left spiderman, I started gravitating towards GA. At first it took some getting used to, but I began to appreciate it more and more the older I got. The whole WWII aspect of it made it a lot more interesting to me.

That was a very rational counterpoint. Good job. I think almost all GA collectors started out with SA and moved to GA as their budgets expanded.

I actually started out looking for both. I had Uncle Scrooge and Adam Strange books on my wantlist when I went to my first con. And Plastic Man, come to think of it.

Dan Greenhalgh bought the Wonder Woman 105.

Now I really regret it...

blush.gif

But, I do remember it sold for a very nice price, for those days.

$3000 smackers!

You exploiter of widows and children, you! poke2.gif

Dan Greenhalgh bought the Wonder Woman 105.

Now I really regret it...

blush.gif

But, I do remember it sold for a very nice price, for those days.

$3000 smackers!

You exploiter of widows and children, you! poke2.gif

Great memory! That is the number I was thinking it sold for!

Dan Greenhalgh

Havnt seen Showcase in 10 years.Hows he doin and HE STILL DOES NOT HAVE A WEBSITE!

He's still on eBay. I remember Dan once claiming that he could beat anyone in comics one on one in basketball, and put his "mansion" up as the wager. Richard Evans (6'5") and Ron from Surf City Comics (at least 6'5") offered to take him up on the bet, he suddenly pulled up "lame"....