• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie, suggestions please...

10 posts in this topic

The short, just moved back from living in Europe for 5 years and need money... Pulled out my collection of comics and went through them. See that there is this new CGC grading. Is it worth paying to get the more valuable ones slabbed? Some that I've pulled from my collection, which I collected from mid 80's to early 90's, especially independants, are:

Visions #2 (1350 of 2000)

Miracle Man #1 (blue / of 600)

Giant-Size X-Men #1

Albedo #0 (I have a couple with blue/light purple cover so it's probably a 1st or 2nd printing of 500 or 1000, also have one with a white cover that is probably one of the 3rd or 4th printing), as well as issues 3, 4, 5

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 (1st and 2nd printings)

I also have a few Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #3 (1st printing) with double covers, when they came out I went through the pile at the shop and found 3 that had double covers and picked them all up.

Oktoberfest Comics #1 (early Dave Sim)

Gratis #1 (early Cerebus Dave Sim)

Also have one New Wave #1 that was recalled as well as Star Force Six Special #1 that has two full issues stapled inside one cover, don't know if there is much value with these 2 errors though.

If I was interesting in selling these for the highest dollar, how should I go about it, I've heard to avoid ebay, how about Comicslink?, and should I get them slabbed?

Thanks...

Hi! Welcome!

If you feel you're competent grader and the Giant Size X-Men can pull between an VF and higher, I think getting it slabbed would be to your advantage.Same with TMNT, although to be honest I couldn't tell you what they're going for. (Been out of collecting for the past couple of years.) Others may have better advice, but the Giant Size is the one that caught my eye. All depending on if you plan to sale or not.

Again, welcome. Kev

Below I have mentioned which comics should be slabbed to maximize your profit. Furthermore, ebay is the best option for selling your comics. Please do research first before slabbing any comic books. Start by checking the condition of your comics by searching for the grading system for comics and then compare!!

NOTE: All comics that are indicated with a "YES" must be in MINT condition. (CGC 9.6 or higher)

* - Due to rarity or popularity NM - (CGC 9.2) copies would sell easily if slabbed.

Visions #2 (1350 of 2000) - NO

* Miracle Man #1 (blue / of 600) - YES

* Giant-Size X-Men #1 - YES

* Albedo #0 blue - YES (1st Print Only)

Albedo #0 pruple - NO (3rd or 4th Print)

* Albedo #0 white - YES (450 copies made)

Albedo #3, 4, 5 - NO

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 (1st and 2nd printings) - YES (1st Print Only)

* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #3 (1st printing) with double covers - YES (Uniqueness)

Oktoberfest Comics #1 (early Dave Sim) - YES (Hard to Find)

Gratis #1 (early Cerebus Dave Sim) - NO

New Wave #1 - NO

Star Force Six Special #1 - NO

Members on the board, feel free to add your input as well.

Thanks for the responses so for...

Thought Visions #2 would be a good one as it is early ('80) N. Adams, Rogers and Gulacy art and is limited to 2000 with them all being signed and numbered.

Not sure if I'm searching correctly, but it looks like on 2 issues of #3 have been graded, no #2.

As for Albedo 0, couldn't find a printing version on them, the covers are a light lavender and the white one has a price on it and the cover is glossy, so I believe that it's not the white 450 one, but printed after the lavender ones. OPG says 3rd and 4th printing which I believe are the white version I have. Anyone know how to tell which version the lavender ones are or a link with pics?

Thanks for the responses so for...

Thought Visions #2 would be a good one as it is early ('79) N. Adams, Rogers and Gulacy art and is limited to 2000 with them all being signed and numbered.

As for Albedo 0, couldn't find a printing version on them, the covers are a light lavender and the white one has a price on it and the cover is glossy, so I believe that it's not the white 450 one, but printed after the lavender ones. OPG says 3rd and 4th printing which I believe are the white version I have. Anyone know how to tell which version the lavender ones are or a link with pics?

Visions #2 will take some research on ebay and other comic forums or websites to determine whether to slab or not. If it is in high grade then I would slab but it will come back a CGC qualified label because of the signatures and collectors hate CGC qualified labels.

As for the Albedo, if there was picks then I would be able to tell you. For now, I am unsure to your Albedo issues!!

The short, just moved back from living in Europe for 5 years and need money... Pulled out my collection of comics and went through them. See that there is this new CGC grading. Is it worth paying to get the more valuable ones slabbed? Some that I've pulled from my collection, which I collected from mid 80's to early 90's, especially independants, are:

Visions #2 (1350 of 2000)

Miracle Man #1 (blue / of 600)

Giant-Size X-Men #1

Albedo #0 (I have a couple with blue/light purple cover so it's probably a 1st or 2nd printing of 500 or 1000, also have one with a white cover that is probably one of the 3rd or 4th printing), as well as issues 3, 4, 5

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 (1st and 2nd printings)

I also have a few Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #3 (1st printing) with double covers, when they came out I went through the pile at the shop and found 3 that had double covers and picked them all up.

Oktoberfest Comics #1 (early Dave Sim)

Gratis #1 (early Cerebus Dave Sim)

Also have one New Wave #1 that was recalled as well as Star Force Six Special #1 that has two full issues stapled inside one cover, don't know if there is much value with these 2 errors though.

If I was interesting in selling these for the highest dollar, how should I go about it, I've heard to avoid ebay, how about Comicslink?, and should I get them slabbed?

Thanks...

If that is a white cover Albedo 0, I'm VERY interested in it.

Nevermind, found where the printing info. is.

So for those PM me asking to buy the white edition, even though I've mentioned that I think it's the fourth printing.

Instead of just looking at the inside cover for the info., I went and looked through all of them and here is the what I've found.

I have one Second printing with the blue/light lavender cover which was limited to 1,000.

I have two Third printing that is identical to the second printing except it states Third Printing on the back inside cover is also limited to 1,000.

And I have 1 Fourth printing that is a photo of the white cover with glossy paper, and inside the front cover it states the following:

First printing - White cover with yellow drawing table: approx. 50 copies.

- White cover without yellow: approx. 450 copies.

- Blue cover: 500 copies.

Second printing - Blue cover: 1000 copies.

Third printing - Blue cover: 1000 copies. (...new address added.)

Fourth printing - Photo cover. (White-with-yellow-cover edition front with blue cover back; includes additional pages of material and copy.)

This printing also has a $1.00 price tag in red on cover.

So the Second and Third printing are actually pretty rare at only 1,000 copies each.

If the albedo #3 is really pristine it might be worth slabbing if you're submitting a bunch of books anyway, particularly if you're close to getting a discount based on # of submission.