• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soapbox Ramblings of a Confessed Cover Collector & More......

14 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif

Since I started back into comic collecting this past summer, I have enjoyed my many purchases more than I had in previous years when I was collecting. Also being a little better off than when I was young and un-married, I have found myself with a little more cash to burn on such "trivial things" such as comic books....

When I first started to collect again in June I thought...just X-men and I immediately started into trying to get together a run of #94-143. I immediately went to eBay and bought a 9.4 GS1 to get me started, but while I was thumbing through all the books for sale....numerous Timely caught my eye....and then I was off and running....Timely it is going to be....sorry Prof. X, you'll need to take a back seat for a bit...

To me - it is the covers. I honestly don't ready many golden age books 893whatthe.gif. I know, I know foreheadslap.gif ...but it is the covers to me. Each cover to me is like a painting - a work of art (that already tells a story) and none better than Alex Schomburg......I never get sick of his busy covers - there is just so much to see....the depth of the way he laid out the action (without having any action in a still medium) and inventiveness of all the contraptions he came up with for the Nazis or "Japs" to do away with whoever, it is just so creative to me......classic stuff. I just never get sick of it. It is paper....but it is full of action....what it must have been like to go to the rack and pick this stuff up as a kid in the 1940s.....where the hell is the time machine, and can I borrow it???

To me - Timely are what comics are about....

On another front I recently bought a the last Cap war issue book, which I am eagerly waiting to get my hands on, but before I did, I saw Harley had a nice looking HT#10 and a definite want on my hit list...took him quite a while to get back to me and that it had been sold... confused-smiley-013.gif .... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Anyone got a sweet copy they'd care to share with me....just so I can check out the cover. I have not seen too many nice HT#10 covers. Would love to see what you guys have....

Anyway, would appreciate any thoughs....

Be sure and check out the Grand Comic Database (http://www.comics.org).

It's a remarkably complete compilation of information about comics,

including cover scans.

Just a few clicks get you to this:

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=2661&zoom=4

gozer

--------------------

My foolish capering destroyed more young minds than syphilis

and pinball combined.

When I first started to collect again in June I thought...just X-men and I immediately started into trying to get together a run of #94-143. I immediately went to eBay and bought a 9.4 GS1 to get me started, but while I was thumbing through all the books for sale....numerous Timely caught my eye....and then I was off and running....Timely it is going to be....sorry Prof. X, you'll need to take a back seat for a bit...

Good choice! Bronze X-Men will always be available in any grade you desire when you're ready to tackle them, but the better Timely covers continue to get scarcer as they are snapped up into permanent collections. For guys like us that are getting a late start, it makes it difficult but it's a fun challenge as well. Best of luck in the quest. thumbsup2.gif

I used to be all covers, then I started reading Barks books, which ended up being some of the best comics I ever read. SO now I reaad everything, you just never know what is going to really appeal to you. Besides they SMELL so good when you read them! wink.gif

Too true... love that smell.

My collection (pulps as well as comics) is 90% cover art driven... but i definately read a lot of the stories. There are some real jems in those books. Not all on the level of Barks, but still fun reads.

Shiverbones, I'm sure that the stories and art inspire countless ideas for your art!

That being said, its really ALL about a good, busy cover!!

Thats true, I do get a lot of inspiration from the comics, especially because I am doing a comic to have along with the paintings at my next solo show. And of course, given 2 issues of a title I like, I will Always go for the one with the better cover, its extremely important!

While I have switched mainly to GA stuff I still buy BA stuff in 9.8 from the glory days of my youth. There was so much good stuff in the late 70's and early 80's that I love being able to pick up a smoking Perez, Layton or Bryne cover for only $100. My Iron Man #132 CGC 9.6 is a keeper. cloud9.gif Having said that GA is the way to go. 10 years from now you will still be able to pick up any SA book you want but you might be hard pressed to find the very same books you are chasing today.

I used to be all covers, then I started reading Barks books, which ended up being some of the best comics I ever read. SO now I reaad everything, you just never know what is going to really appeal to you. Besides they SMELL so good when you read them! wink.gif

There are hundreds and hundreds of amazing GA and Atomic Age stories. As much as I love covers, my collection would be far less interesting too me without the stories. There is, to my mind, nothing better than a book with a great cover AND great interior art.

There are hundreds and hundreds of amazing GA and Atomic Age stories. As much as I love covers, my collection would be far less interesting too me without the stories. There is, to my mind, nothing better than a book with a great cover AND great interior art.

What these two guys said. thumbsup2.gif