• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Comprises CGC's restoration detection division? Where are Friesen & Brevard?

218 posts in this topic

You are right, Crack Is hurtful.

Night all.

Off to watch a movie on our new monitor we fleeced my wifes work out of.(what??? she will use it..once in awhile)

Ze-

Getting back to comics, I have taken a pause in buying CGC material. Not because I don't trust CGC so much, but more with the work being done on books to get a higher grade and my inability to completely research each book to try and determine what type of work may or may not have been done to the book before trying to win it in an auction. This is an area where I agree with Scott, I believe I do not have false expectations on what CGC can and can't do and I have a reasonable appriciation for what they are really capably of providing. I would like to see them provide more information about their grading standard, but I can imagine that would create problems since people would have something to argue against when a book didn't receive the grade they thought it should. There are currently several books I would be interested in on Comiclink right now. Same is true for the upcoming Heritage auction but I just don't have time to try and determine what I am really buying plus a lot of the CLINK books are on the 4th or more round on the auction circuit. My plans are to take a break for 6 months to a year to see how things shake out and then decide whether to jump back in or not. I may actually go back to buying raw meaning I will seek out a few dealers I trust and work with them. In the mean time, I plan to sell off some stuff and pick up some more original artwork (NO I AM NOT KK!). I am not a big spender like other on the board. During 2006, I have only spent just over $10k, $6.7k at Heritage, $3k at CLINK and the remainder at Wondercon and Ebay, but I would guess some people will get slightly better prices on some Batman's and Detectives in these future auctions.

Getting back to comics, I have taken a pause in buying CGC material. Not because I don't trust CGC so much, but more with the work being done on books to get a higher grade and my inability to completely research each book to try and determine what type of work may or may not have been done to the book before trying to win it in an auction. This is an area where I agree with Scott, I believe I do not have false expectations on what CGC can and can't do and I have a reasonable appriciation for what they are really capably of providing. I would like to see them provide more information about their grading standard, but I can imagine that would create problems since people would have something to argue against when a book didn't receive the grade they thought it should. There are currently several books I would be interested in on Comiclink right now. Same is true for the upcoming Heritage auction but I just don't have time to try and determine what I am really buying plus a lot of the CLINK books are on the 4th or more round on the auction circuit. My plans are to take a break for 6 months to a year to see how things shake out and then decide whether to jump back in or not. I may actually go back to buying raw meaning I will seek out a few dealers I trust and work with them. In the mean time, I plan to sell off some stuff and pick up some more original artwork (NO I AM NOT KK!). I am not a big spender like other on the board. During 2006, I have only spent just over $10k, $6.7k at Heritage, $3k at CLINK and the remainder at Wondercon and Ebay, but I would guess some people will get slightly better prices on some Batman's and Detectives in these future auctions.

This is a perfect example of the negative and perfectly understandable impact these issues are having on our community and possibly on CGC and/or Heritage. It is exactly why CGC, Heritage and numerous comic book dealers/restorers should wake up and smell the coffee that their actions are having consequences, and ones they might not like.

Steve had said, in reply to the thread I created "What about a Grading report", that there were plans to make the graders notes available online. I think this might give you some of the info you are looking for. I got the impression they don't have the time or the man power to implement the more detailed report I had inquired about.

Casey

Steve had said, in reply to the thread I created "What about a Grading report", that there were plans to make the graders notes available online. I think this might give you some of the info you are looking for. I got the impression they don't have the time or the man power to implement the more detailed report I had inquired about.

Casey

My concern with the grader notes is that won't include things like "dry cleaned and pressed, potential micro trim but not sure" these are my bigger concerns.

Casey

My concern with the grader notes is that won't include things like "dry cleaned and pressed, potential micro trim but not sure" these are my bigger concerns.

ALL 3 graders notes. But after a while, one might find that grader "A" is

harsher as to grading standards than grader "B" or grader "C" may have a

penchant to let goldenage slide a little, then we'd have an instant lynch party

for a harsh grader, and a lenient grader would suddenly be getting "gifts" thru

the mail. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They've been talking about putting the graders notes online for years. Don't hold your breath.

One of the reasons why they may be delaying is that grader's notes have been inconsistent. It's basically "optional" information...I know this b/c more times than I can recall I would call to get them and I would get a response "no graders notes".

BTW, I'm not justifying why they haven't been implemented yet...just trying to provide some possible rationale. thumbsup2.gif

I don't bite on the "not enough resources" though...as you know Brad they spent time tightening down the CGC lookup function that reduced value. Christo_pull_hair.gif

They've been talking about putting the graders notes online for years. Don't hold your breath.

One of the reasons why they may be delaying is that grader's notes have been inconsistent. It's basically "optional" information...I know this b/c more times than I can recall I would call to get them and I would get a response "no graders notes".

my experiences have been just the opposite.

over the past 3-4 years i've called for notes on about 20 or so books and all had a pretty decent amount of info.

in my mind, the ability to call for the notes and always connect to someone who is quite helpful in passing on that info, constitutes one of the best services that CGC provides.

having said that, finally getting them online would really be sweet hail.gif