• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What sound?

8 posts in this topic

When kids used to attach baseball cards to clothes pins and put them on the front wheels of there bikes to make a clicking, flapping sound, it was always said that the Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays cards made the best sounds.

I believe that is the sound he is referring to.

Where in the OS Grading Guide is there a reference for flapping sounds that comics make? And does the lack of a flapping sound mean the book can't be graded higher than 7.5? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

my father grew up in the 1940s. Yea they used to attach cards like this to thier bicycle tires, and have competitions where they'd throw cards and if it landed on the face or the back, either the owner won the other persons card or the other guy won the owners card.

Also my dad used to read 1940s Detective Comicbooks in the barber shop. If only he had swiped some.

my father grew up in the 1940s. Yea they used to attach cards like this to thier bicycle tires, and have competitions where they'd throw cards and if it landed on the face or the back, either the owner won the other persons card or the other guy won the owners card.

Also my dad used to read 1940s Detective Comicbooks in the barber shop. If only he had swiped some.

Ummm...I grew up in the 70's and we did this....

J.D.

Ummm...I grew up in the 70's and we did this....

J.D.

We used to take turns placing our cards one at a time into a pile in the middle, The person who threw a card on top that featured the same team as the card directly below it would win the entire pile. You could try to place another card on top and hope for the same team AGAIN, to have the next player win but that was rare. We called it flipping. It was basically a type of gambling now that i think of it. It was a lot of fun though

and have competitions where they'd throw cards and if it landed on the face or the back, either the owner won the other persons card or the other guy won the owners card.

Topsy's...leaner's....man does that brings back memories..we used play this game throwing the cards down from the top of a staircase or outside against a building using Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Roger Marris or even James Bond and Marvel Super Hero cards.. 893whatthe.gif.

At least I didn't wreck my comics this way... cloud9.gif