• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out the results of this Green Lantern #76 auction!

12 posts in this topic

I was watching this one and was considering bidding until a few crazed people (including some forum members) sent this one into the stratosphere!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170037422874

I asked for larger scans and it is a nice copy but does show spine breaks and soiling on the back cover. Probably an 8.5, maybe a 9.0 at best. I can't friggin' believe this went for $811!!! 893whatthe.gif

I was watching that one and then started comparing the image side by side with other GL 76s. I think that the right edge, top and bottom have been trimmed. Looking at the black along the spine where the art ends and comparing how much art is showing on the cover does not add up with other copies. Which would explain why a high grade copy wasn't slabbed. Funny thing is I just bought one today as well.

Seems our little discussion in the Bronze Age section (and all of the incredible insight from Blazing Bob), has lit a fire under some of the boardies (and that "I've got to get it now" mentality is starting to creep in). I'm certain this sale will bring out a few graded 8.5's and 9.0's, and they will end up selling in this range (IMO) or slightly less. That's crazy money for an ungraded copy, but it looks like this one is finally going into the stratosphere is so rightly belongs.

Jay

Actually, that is partially true about the board discussion. I sold off my DC collection of about 1,000 books a few weeks ago ranging from early silver to modern. I want to rebuild my DC's only from the early bronze to the mid bronze era . This seems to be the best time for DC covers. and the GL 76 was a good starting place before prices got to high. It's kinda fun starting over with a clean slate. This time around I am going to be more selective.

I was watching this one and was considering bidding until a few crazed people (including some forum members) sent this one into the stratosphere!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170037422874

I asked for larger scans and it is a nice copy but does show spine breaks and soiling on the back cover. Probably an 8.5, maybe a 9.0 at best. I can't friggin' believe this went for $811!!! 893whatthe.gif

Holy *spoon*, I bought my GL 76 about 2 years ago in that condition for $50. What is happening in the comic world that is making this book skyrocket in price? Guess I should slab mine....

Yep - I was bidding on that auction. Once it exceeded my second limit, I took a REAL close look at the scans and saw too many spine issues to go any higher. I usually only bid high on raw books from sellers I know can grade conservatively, but then so does everyone else and those auctions go pretty high.

So...if anyone has a GL 76 in 9.2+ let me know. wink.gif