• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look at the price this book realized!!!!! INSANE!!!!

100 posts in this topic

Tim, I completely understand the point you are making.

There are some collectors who don't value uber-HG just as there are some collectors who don't value any other grade.

Every collector seems to establish their own value/genre comfort level and any book more expensive than that level seems like a waste of money to them . The argument is the same, "Why pay multiples of guide for a - pick one (mint, 9.8, 9.6, 9.4, variant, modern, etc.) book when you can buy a book that is - pick one (the next lower grade or not a variant or anything more than reader) for so much less money?"

There are gold, silver, bronze and modern collectors who have that mind-set and have had that mindset in the past.

When someone paid $8500 for the first CGC 9.8 copy of X-Men 94, a lot of buyers said he was crazy. And when that same book sold a couple years later for $25,000, people said the new buyer was crazy.

Neither one was crazy, they just collect a different genre/grade than most.

Now, I don't have any strong belief that the X-Men 114 that I just bought will turn out to be a wise purchase years from now. I overpaid. But, I have the book and that's better than not having the book thumbsup2.gif

Hey Steve, Congrats on the sweet pick up. thumbsup2.gif

If people can be so quick to (wrongly) pass judgment on major books, perhaps they should cut a little slack here.

Never!! sumo.gif

I suppose it's not that different from buying AOL at $140/share 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

There are some collectors who don't value uber-HG just as there are some collectors who don't value any other grade.

Every collector seems to establish their own value/genre comfort level and any book more expensive than that level seems like a waste of money to them . The argument is the same, "Why pay multiples of guide for a - pick one (mint, 9.8, 9.6, 9.4, variant, modern, etc.) book when you can buy a book that is - pick one (the next lower grade or not a variant or anything more than reader) for so much less money?"

There are gold, silver, bronze and modern collectors who have that mind-set and have had that mindset in the past.

When someone paid $8500 for the first CGC 9.8 copy of X-Men 94, a lot of buyers said he was crazy. And when that same book sold a couple years later for $25,000, people said the new buyer was crazy.

Now, I don't have any strong belief that the X-Men 114 that I just bought will turn out to be a wise purchase years from now. I overpaid. But, I have the book and that's better than not having the book thumbsup2.gif

hey dude; you're happy - i'm happy.......... thumbsup2.gif

and remember, we're just spouting opinions here............although Jason's are usually so eloquently worded............. smirk.gif

Do you know if Pedigree sales make it into GPA or are they excluded like ComicLink?

That's a good question. I thought they were but I also thought CLink was included. Shows you what I know. insane.gif

Casey

Btw, if you have any X-men 101-200 CGC 9.6 that you are looking to sell to fund your quest let me know. I'm still missing a few in quest to up grade my collection.

I believe some of the same words were used after the Dentist paid $20K for the MH Action #1, and I know that some of the same words were used after the WM AF #15 sold for $40K on Sotheby's in the early 90s.

I knew that before I got to the end of this thread, someone was going to bring up the MH Action 1 sale, as it seems to be the most readily available canned response to criticism over an "agressive" purchase.

Tim, what troubles me about these kinds of sales is NOT the cash involved, it's the amount of confidence people are STILL placing in the CGC label, with everything we now know about pressing, missed resto, SCS, etc...

I've gotten to the point where I don't blame the "resto man" for doing what he does. Infact, I'm starting to consider getting into the crack, press and resub game. It's so damn lucrative feeding people these labels that they desperately crave, I'm starting to wonder why I haven't jumped on board yet. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Very well said... based on the price alone I'd have said you were loopy but that post shows all the marbles are where they should be. Congrats on your purchase and good luck on the rest.

I believe some of the same words were used after the Dentist paid $20K for the MH Action #1, and I know that some of the same words were used after the WM AF #15 sold for $40K on Sotheby's in the early 90s.

I knew that before I got to the end of this thread, someone was going to bring up the MH Action 1 sale, as it seems to be the most readily available canned response to criticism over an "agressive" purchase.

Sorry I'm so predictable. wink.gif It's just such a stark example on how people can go bananas about someone "overpaying" and then in hindsight it seems so incredibly obvious that they were wrong.

Tim, what troubles me about these kinds of sales is NOT the cash involved, it's the amount of confidence people are STILL placing in the CGC label, with everything we now know about pressing, missed resto, SCS, etc...

Andrew, I don't disagree with anything you're saying. But, I don't think it's my place to berate someone for choosing how to spend their dollars or what comics they want to pursue.

Do you know if Pedigree sales make it into GPA or are they excluded like ComicLink?

I've bought from Pedigree back in August and set GPA highs on many of the books and I haven't seen them updated yet.

I assumed all this time that GPA updates were more timely, and that Comiclink CGC sales were tracked and included. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've bought from Pedigree back in August and set GPA highs on many of the books and I haven't seen them updated yet.

I assumed all this time that GPA updates were more timely, and that Comiclink CGC sales were tracked and included. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pedigree sends us sales data weekly, which includes books sold within that week. Not sure why there are books Paul feels have not been included - maybe a quick email to Doug might clear up any reasons some books may have been left out from his reports - I know he only sends us verified sales, not pending or in progress transactions. On CL - there's been an invitation from day one to have them include their sales (I think there have been plenty of comment about this). We certainly don't make it difficult for people to know who we do track - it's right there on our home page and the 'Who We Track" link.

Regards

George

Pedigree sends us sales data weekly, which includes books sold within that week. Not sure why there are books Paul feels have not been included - maybe a quick email to Doug might clear up any reasons some books may have been left out from his reports - I know he only sends us verified sales, not pending or in progress transactions. On CL - there's been an invitation from day one to have them include their sales (I think there have been plenty of comment about this). We certainly don't make it difficult for people to know who we do track - it's right there on our home page and the 'Who We Track" link.

Regards

George

Thanks for the clarification. I never look at your home page....I go straight to the Search function. insane.gif

Hey Josh, why don't you contribute? confused-smiley-013.gif